Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When you have guests visit your home.....

When guests visit your home, do you...

• ask them to remove their shoes,

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • let them please themselves

Votes: 73 63.5%
  • keep them on the doorstep

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ask them to remove their clothes

Votes: 12 10.4%

• Total voters

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Shoes off,stand them in a bowl of disinfectant and spray them with fabreeze.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Not bothered at jevs towers. I have laminate floor and with a constant flow of kids, dogs, mates, me with boots after being in the garden etc, it just aint worth the bother.

However, i wouldn't dream of going into anyone elses house without taking my shoes off.....even if my socks are sometimes dirtier than my shoes !!!!!!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Not bothered at jevs towers. I have laminate floor and with a constant flow of kids, dogs, mates, me with boots after being in the garden etc, it just aint worth the bother.

However, i wouldn't dream of going into anyone elses house without taking my shoes off.....even if my socks are sometimes dirtier than my shoes !!!!!!
Pretty much this, with the exception of having to wipe your feet when you LEAVE my house???

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not at the moment as we've only been in this place 4 months and with all the building and decorating going on it hardly matters. When the new carpets go down though.......

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I viewed a house that I was considering buying. I entered and all the carpets were white. I said to the estate agent, shall I take my shoes off. He looked at them and said no don't worry. All went well, then I asked to look in the garden. Came back in and unbeknown to me I'd trodden in some mud, walked through the house back to the front door. Went to shake the agents hand (a mistake I know) and looked back down the hall and saw my muddy footprint. I didn't buy the house.

But in answer to the question. I would if I thought I had muddy shoes, or if I was requested to do so, or probably if I was staying for a few hours. But otherwise probably not. No idea which option to vote for though now.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
And now having read the question properly, no I don't ask them to, but if they offer I say yes. But we have mostly wood flooring downstairs.

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
I take my shoes off everytime I enter my house or someone else's and if people walk into my home with there's on I feel offended that they think its acceptable to bring dirt in with them, especially as we have a young child that'll soon be crawling... SHOES OFF

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Same for us. In Japan you just DON`t wear your shoes indoors - it would be like taking a dump on the living room floor. So when back in UK my missus insists on same rules. My dear old Mum and Dad just won`t do it though. Don`t know why and I certainly wouldn`t insist in their case.

Not bothered as far as guests go but I always take my shoes off in mine and someone else's house as a reflex action having lived in Tokyo.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
If someone comes in with dirty shoes, I trust in their sense of common human decency to remove them rather than treading mud into my house and rugs. If I go to someone else's house, I will keep my shoes on, unless they are dirty, in which case, I'll take them off. If someone asks me to take my shoes off, my knee-jerk judgement is that they are slightly annoying, but I'm also encouraged because I get the feeling that this person (and possibly the rest of their family) will also display other odd quirks that will keep me and my wife amused for some time.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I will "hint" by removing my own shoes in front of them or leaving a pile of shoes by the front door

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
New house is mostly wooden floors so ultimately I'm not that concerned, but I always take my own shoes off in any house - its how I was brought up. I also find that the bookcase by our front door that acts as shoe storage facility gives the appropriate message that ours is, generally speaking, a "no shoes" house.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Same for us. In Japan you just DON`t wear your shoes indoors - it would be like taking a dump on the living room floor. So when back in UK my missus insists on same rules. My dear old Mum and Dad just won`t do it though. Don`t know why and I certainly wouldn`t insist in their case.

Ha! My eldest lad is currently studying Japanese at Meiji Gakuin Uni In Tokyo and has visited Japan loads of times.As you say,you just don't wear your shoes indoors.When he comes home,I am sure he takes great delight in clodhopping all over the house with his strange massive boots on,rather like a wild animal marking out his territory.

P.S.Strange massive boots bought in Tokyo!:rolleyes::D

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Always grew up with it not being an issue. Buying my first house and think I may switch to a shoes of rule. Just seems cleaner.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Doesn't anyone have a door mat to wipe shoes on when people enter? I don't ask guests or visitors to take their shoes off, but I take mine off when I go into other's houses, except when I am wearing sandals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here