Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When was your 1st Albion game ?

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019
Gerry Ryan's testimonial in 1986. Spurs won 4-0, and Hoddle scored a cracker (if my memory isn't playing tricks on me)

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
My brothers birthday, April 15th 1978, I am 8, he is 12. We took the kitchen stools from home to stand on. Spurs went bonkers, delayed the game where upon my dad decided to take us home, we eventually won 3-1 I believe. With the ginger wizard Mr. Potts coming on to score the third.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I'm amazed how many of you remember the date team and score.

Sometime in the mid 60's, we stood behind the south stand goal, the ball hit me on the head during warm up and the floodlights were very tall!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wish I remembered but it must've been around 1992/93.

I was 6 going on 7, going with my Dad (who wrote reports for Gulls Eye) and my older brother, who was very into it.

Down the front of the North Stand, standing on milk crates so I could see over the barrier. Usually got bored after a while/if the action wasn't down our end, and would wander around the terrace kicking Coke cans. When we scored the surges were a bit scary for a nipper, loads of heavy blokes barrelling down towards me. I have one vivid image in my head - almost like a gif - of a headbanded Steve Foster leaping and heading a ball far away into the winter air. To a small child he looked about ten feet tall, and unrealistically strong. Must be like it is for nippers watching Duffy head balls into orbit in recent years.

Also got blasted in the face with the ball by Mark Farringdon during the pre-match shooting drill. I wasn't standing that close to goal at the time...

Remember asking my Dad what a lot of the chants meant, response usually "I'll tell you when you're older." or just a wry smile sometimes. I also picked up the slightly odd habit (to this day) of spitting whenever I use a urinal from that disgrace of a toilet in the North Stand, as I saw that's what all the grown ups did and so if you wanted to be a grown up you had to spit, obviously.

Wow, I feel old now. Thanks for that, ha.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Personally I don’t remember the exact date or for that matter who we played. But I do know it was either 75 or 76, it was an evening game and I loved it - the smell, the orangey asphalt around the pitch, little red/orange lights all over as people smoked their cigarettes and of course the beautiful blue @ white striped kit. It was magical, purely magical. I was 6 years old and already supported them before I went, but that first live game meant I was doomed to suffer for the next 40 odd years! Wouldn’t have it any other way.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Some time in 1966, I was 5. Big brother took me and I can remember being overwhelmed at the crowd and was totally hooked.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
My brothers birthday, April 15th 1978, I am 8, he is 12. We took the kitchen stools from home to stand on. Spurs went bonkers, delayed the game where upon my dad decided to take us home, we eventually won 3-1 I believe. With the ginger wizard Mr. Potts coming on to score the third.

Mine too also 8 at the time, my uncle picked me up from Aldershot the evening before and I stayed the weekend, he shielded me most of the match.
I remember the noise, people running around, police etc and the sheer joy on coming out of the ground and catching the bus back to portslade, that was the happiest I had ever seen him, he had a grin from ear to ear the whole evening and next day. He kept telling me, it won't get any better than that :lolol:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
1964, the year Bobby Smith signed for Brighton.
Can't remember who the opponents were, but I am pretty sure we won and Bobby scored. I can recall the wonderful atmosphere though and I was hooked.
That season, I think the average attendance was about 17,000, fantastic for the 4th Division. Archie McCauley was manager and Cyril Hodges was the trainer.
I didn't see all the games that season as I was incarcerated at boarding school, so it was just the school holidays for me until 1966.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
22/09/79 Southampton 0-0 . Was my next door neighbour's birthday party.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here