Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When was the last time an Albion home game was abandoned due to the weather/pitch?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I reme.ber pictuees in the argus of fans at the ground - seem to recall Daggers gave them a mug of tea :lolol:
Might've been another game though.

I think that was London based Seagulls who had got there early. We got as far as Pease Pottage before turning round.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
There was a game at the Goldstone in the 70s when it snowed. British rail staff put up signs at Hove station to say that the game was off. The game wS played but only about 3000 people attended. Anyone remember that game?

Against Torquay, if my memory is correct.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How did this game ever start ? i remember there were thousands of us packed in and seriously could not believe it when the ref said Yep thats fine lets play !!!

[yt]QYEcTp_Nhac[/yt]

Great away day, that was. Anyone still got their free red scarf?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I was in the sponsors' lounge at the Goldstone when Gulls Eye sponsored a home game against Cardiff that was rained off late. But I've never been to an abandoned game (except York obviously)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The last game I remember being abandoned during the game was away to Swindon and there was torrential rain plus we were losing 4.- 0 think we lost the replayed game also. Can remember a couple at Withdean being called off due to either the pitch being unfit or the standing area being unsafe.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
That Peterborough cup-tie was played on snow not ice, and so the quality of the football was not that bad, with the exception of Digweeds goal-kick 'tee' which deflected a ground shot over him for a Peterborough goal.
The last away game to be abandoned prior to the Swindon one must have been the evening game at Orient in 68.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
When was the last time an Albion home game was abandoned due to the weather/p...

I'll add Bristol Rovers away, to the list of last minute postponements. I'd just finished my dessert in the hospitality 'suite' when the stadium manager announced that the ref had called it off !

Wettest I have even seen a pitch. Thankfully I lived nearby at the time and so the replay, which was three very welcome points towards safety, wasn't a problem.

No postponements during a game but I recall travelling to Withdean from Cambridge for a game against Northampton (?) for my sisters birthday late Dec/early Jan about 5 years ago. All the family were there early only for the game to be postponed last minute. We sat and had a couple of drinks and saw Dean Cox and other players doing the same (non alcoholic obviously, it was lunchtime) in the Sportsman.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
There was a hint of snow when walking in, and it was cucking fold, but it was the lights that failed
I seem to remember Norwich away in the FA Cup being called off late, but don't remember any weather related abandonments either home or away.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
What was the game at Withdean when the "sink" hole opened up? Groundsmen running on with buckets of sand to fill it? Pitch was "unfit" for about 5 minutes

The last game I remember being abandoned during the game was away to Swindon and there was torrential rain plus we were losing 4.- 0 think we lost the replayed game also. Can remember a couple at Withdean being called off due to either the pitch being unfit or the standing area being unsafe.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Oh I remember that Southend game well. Micky Adams era, I think. Pitch was an absolute shocker, and we lost. I bet Southend were quite happy with the conditions though.

Bearing in mind that Withdean surface was never originally intended to be a Football League standard pitch, and was located in a frost pocket, it's quite an achievement by the groundstaff that we never had a game abandoned. A few postponements, but not as many as you might expect.

Was that the game when Oatway had a 20 yard head start as Carruthers broke away against him, and it was like watching him walk through treacle as Carruthers glided past him so bloody easily?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How did this game ever start ? i remember there were thousands of us packed in and seriously could not believe it when the ref said Yep thats fine lets play !!!

[yt]QYEcTp_Nhac[/yt]

Was that that a cup game where a fight broke out between Albion fans in the away end and Justin Fashanu did an excellent impression of Bambi on Ice?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Swindon away was a giggle 4-0 down! got a bit naughty afterwards???

I was at that game.

The ref had told Mullery the game was off. He then got fish and chips in for the players to have in the changing room.

The ref then changed his mind, and said the game was to go ahead, but if there was any further rain, he would call the game off. Which he did, when we were 4-0 down.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Was that that a cup game where a fight broke out between Albion fans in the away end and Justin Fashanu did an excellent impression of Bambi on Ice?

The snowy one was Peterborough away. Can't remember Fashanu but I do recall Deano playing. We were so rammed in, that was the only time I've been scared of being crushed.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
In the early 90's a reserve match against Palace at the Goldstone was abandoned in the first half due to rain. Obviously not a big crowd, but there were still a good few hundred (probably because of who we were playing against)

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
When was the last time an Albion home game was abandoned due to the weather/p...

Great away day, that was. Anyone still got their free red scarf?

Sadly enough yes I have ! VERY strange seeing them in red. I remember Fashanu being completely unable to keep his footing.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick

I remember a game v Leicester at the Goldstone being cancelled as the pitch was waterlogged and a game on a New Years Day being postponed - having got to Brighton Station from Redhill the club announced that due to inclement weather (Biblical rain) the match was off. And another game (v Cardiff ?) when virtually every game in the South East was off so we stayed in the pub and got soaked on the inside !
I remember a few games that SHOULD have been abandoned - Rochdale at Withdean when we lost 4-3 in mid December and Barnet away in the Jimmy Case era for two

luge

Dec 18, 2010
It snowed the last season at Withdean and a Friday night game was cancelled in December. Cant remember who it was against but it was last minute decision and we were already in the sportsman!

Notts County. I was down doing some filming around the new stadium and covering the game. Ended up having a snowball fight with Poyet and Ince!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I remember a game at Halifax being called of at the last minute. Was there to wave the Albion coach off back to Brighton. Bobby Z smiled and waved at me, small things eh? I went into the stand and sat looking at the pitch which had been cut up by egg-chasers in the week. It was in an unplayable condition as there had been a sudden deluge. Pretty annoying though as it was only called of about an hour before the game was due to start.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was in the sponsors' lounge at the Goldstone when Gulls Eye sponsored a home game against Cardiff that was rained off late. But I've never been to an abandoned game (except York obviously)

I remember the Cardiff game being called off. This was the days before mobile phones and I'd travelled down from London. First I knew was when I got off the train at Hove.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here