Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When was the last time an Albion home game was abandoned due to the weather/pitch?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
New Years day against Southend should have been abandoned but you've got to go way back to find an Albion game that was abandoned unless you count the Irish punch up

Oh I remember that Southend game well. Micky Adams era, I think. Pitch was an absolute shocker, and we lost. I bet Southend were quite happy with the conditions though.

Bearing in mind that Withdean surface was never originally intended to be a Football League standard pitch, and was located in a frost pocket, it's quite an achievement by the groundstaff that we never had a game abandoned. A few postponements, but not as many as you might expect.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't think of a home game, but I've 'been' to two away games in the last few years that have been called off - Dagenham and Blackburn.

I'm talking about mid match abandonments though, not late-notice postponements.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Where's Tim Carder when you need him, eh?

Maybe we've never had a home game abandoned due to the weather/pitch.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Notts County I think. It was my birthday and we'd been in the pub in town for ages. Which then continued to nobody's great disappointment.

I know there have been plenty of very late postponements. But I can't think of a single abandonment other than the York game (the "riot", as ITV Sport lazily labelled it).

Yes it was Notts County. I remember watching the teams warm up it was that late a decision. Stayed in the Sportsman and had one of their £3.49 carverys. A few pissed off away fans present.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
The last minute Withdean December Friday cancellations both times caused me to get absolutely slaughtered.

I'm almost sad we're not playing tomorrow night. December Friday games are the one thing I miss from those days.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It was Notts County. It was clear to all that it would have to be called off, but we gave County the courtesy of allowing their team and fans to arrive and cancel it 50 mins out

Didnt that happen to our fans (at Dagenham I think) at Christmas about four years ago?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'll add Bristol Rovers away, to the list of last minute postponements. I'd just finished my dessert in the hospitality 'suite' when the stadium manager announced that the ref had called it off.

Ernest suggests the Battle of Longford, but there was a much more recent similar episode, in Portugal!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The Swindon game in the mid seventies, 4-0 down, and abandoned for snow after about 65 minutes. Locals got a bit peeved about it, I think we drew the replay

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
It snowed the last season at Withdean and a Friday night game was cancelled in December. Cant remember who it was against but it was last minute decision and we were already in the sportsman!

Notts County. I spend 3 hours travelling from Hastings. I found out when I arrived in the Evening Star!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
New Years day against Southend should have been abandoned but you've got to go way back to find an Albion game that was abandoned unless you count the Irish punch up

The Portomenense game in Portugal in 2011, was also abandoned due to a fracas but not weather related.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Wasnt there a late postponement in the last couple of seasons at the Goldstone? I seem to remember getting off the train at Shoreham and going home , cos the game was called off, cant even remember who we wete playing tho

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
When was the last time an Albion home game was abandoned due to the weather/p...

That was a floodlight failure. Upside was an extra couple of hours in Browns on the way back...

Ah yes, I recall now. But I still think it was quite a cold day with some snow in the air.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ah yes, I recall now. But I still think it was quite a cold day with some snow in the air.

I think that was the cause of the problem. They turned the undersoil heating on to prevent the pitch from freezing and blew the floodlights.
Mr Carrow has left the building.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
How did this game ever start ? i remember there were thousands of us packed in and seriously could not believe it when the ref said Yep thats fine lets play !!!

[yt]QYEcTp_Nhac[/yt]

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Nah, that was called off just about early enough for us not to have quite got out of Brighton. See post #8

I recall pictures in the argus of fans at the ground - seem to recall Daggers gave them a mug of tea before they were turned round to go home :lolol:
Might've been another game though.

I remember the Swindon game being abandoned but dont recall one at home although I remember a game played in the snow at the Goldstone where the lines were cleared and an orange ball used - the snow turned to ice as the game progressed. Wouldnt have been started nowadays!
Walsall away (Calde's debut?) was another dubious match in snow that should probably have been anandoned as conditions deteriorated.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here