Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When playing out from the back goes wrong

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Only a matter of time til dicking around at the back goes horribly wrong for the Albion. Hopefully it'll least matter when it inevitably happens. And when it inevitably does, NSC will be AWASH with Clevor Trever after-timers who always knew it was an accident waiting to happen :lolol:
The last time I recall a burst forth that resulted in the other team scoring was when Aaron Mooy demonstrated that he isn't as good on the ball as he might have previously thought. And the last time a ball round the back was intercepted to avail was when Duffy was the erstwhile recipient.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Only a matter of time til dicking around at the back goes horribly wrong for the Albion. Hopefully it'll least matter when it inevitably happens. And when it inevitably does, NSC will be AWASH with Clevor Trever after-timers who always knew it was an accident waiting to happen :lolol:
I would like to put in an advance notice for next season...

"that was an inevitable accident waiting to happen. What do they think they are playing at. I could have done better than that. My grandmother could have saved that (and she has been dead for over 50 years).

De Zerbi OUT"

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Well, one of us kver

Well one of us is over-projecting complete nonsense here. That statue thing just our side of the centre circle? It's an embarrassment :lol:
Toying with the opposition. What’s not to like ?
I’m sure it’s a bit of a generational thing. There’s an old bloke behind us in the WSU who can’t stand it. Loads of ‘don’t pass it back there’ type stuff while his middle aged son tries to explain to him what’s going on.
Not really. Plenty of us oldies love the new style and I’ve heard as many younguns as oldies hating it. Stereotyping just fits a prior view.

Jimmy Grimble

Toying with the opposition. What’s not to like ?

Not really. Plenty of us oldies love the new style and I’ve heard as many younguns as oldies hating it. Stereotyping just fits a prior view.
Just going off my experience, not stereotyping. Seen far more ‘oldies’ get their knickers in a twist compared to ‘younguns’.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just going off my experience, not stereotyping. Seen far more ‘oldies’ get their knickers in a twist compared to ‘younguns’.
I suppose it is relative. There are some old twats who sit behind and to the right of me. Always shouting at the referee and moaning about the cat-and- mouse play. I say 'old twats'....they are probably in their mid 40s - 20 years younger than me :lolol:

The thing about us now is we don't have any obvious weak players in and around our main 16. Call us pound shop Citeh if you like.

And I like the fact that we still don't do 'big name' signings. Well....Webs, Lallana and possibly little Jimmy Milner aside, but....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Which was taught to every generation of defender anywhere always. Nothing's changed. It's still a stupid f*cking thing to do :dunce:
It's not though. All those earlier generations had the choice - pass across the penalty area OR pass to your keeper who could simply pick the ball up. In those days, of course it was a stupid f***ing thing to do.

That rule change fundamentally changed the way the game is played forever, and for the better.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I remember it happening against Liverpool at The Amex, on TV, in the Covid era. First 10min IIRC. Salah goal.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's not though. All those earlier generations had the choice - pass across the penalty area OR pass to your keeper who could simply pick the ball up. In those days, of course it was a stupid f***ing thing to do.

That rule change fundamentally changed the way the game is played forever, and for the better.
In these days, in many cases, it still is. Watch any MOTD. Players are being told to do it, but it clearly goes against the grain and against everything they've ever had coached into them since the age of five. Luckily it's a passing fad, and then keepers will once again be properly judged on their athleticism and what they do with their hands

Steele is incredible at this let's be honest, I have no fear when he's doing it - absolute matador

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
In these days, in many cases, it still is. Watch any MOTD. Players are being told to do it, but it clearly goes against the grain and against everything they've ever had coached into them since the age of five. Luckily it's a passing fad, and then keepers will once again be properly judged on their athleticism and what they do with their hands

Tell me you're a Scottish football fan without saying you're a Scottish football fan.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Just a gag, Tom. I certainly was always taught to play it safe and never pass across my own goal. Elite footballers shouldn't have too much trouble taking a few more risks though.

Part of the reason England have struggled over the years is due to the fact we didn't have technical players, capable of keeping the ball in tight spaces. Other nations were streets ahead.

Of course, having technical ability doesn't mean you have to play it from the back. However, the top coaches in the world see the advantage of it, as do most fans. European and Latin American players have been doing it for years to some extent but the era of Pep domination has really brought it to the fore. It may not last for ever, and there'll be some mishaps along the way, but "passing fad" is a silly way to describe the dominant build-up style of out times.

Don't forget we saw some howlers before the advent of tiki taca.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here