Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When did it start to go wrong?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
There possibly is some accuracy that things changed when Paul Barber was appointed. There was history between the two and there was only going to be one winner given the state of the profit and loss account.

Please note I've used the phrase 'changed' rather than 'gone wrong'

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
highest ever league position???

Yes, but in that 1981/82 season (which was our highest finish), we lost 10 of our last 14 games.

Then, in 1982/83, we lost 10 out of the opening 19 games before it was bye bye, Bailey.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Poogate.

If only the culprit had realized the consequences that turd would come to have.

It's probably one of the most significant poos in footballing history.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
We still haven't recoved from those 2 Zaha goals and the ensuing fall out.

Refelcting we were one of the best 2 sides in the league that season, we really should have gone up automatically.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's fine taking a chance on a manager like Sami.

Where it all went wrong was in sticking with him too long.

So for me it all went wrong after the Rotherham game, when he should have been dismissed instantly.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I haven't read the thread answers,.... but my view is at the very moment we capitulated to Palace in the play-off.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Poyet failed to put out an exciting team in the Championship and most performances were boring.

You have obviously never watched any of the games under Garcia or Hyppia!!!

Poyet's team played the best football I ever witnessed in a Brighton side - and I've following them for over 40 years! Possession football with flair. The only people who objected to it were those neanderthals who wanted us to lump it forward at every opportunity. Look at the players we had that season compared to what we have now.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
You have obviously never watched any of the games under Garcia or Hyppia!!!

Poyet's team played the best football I ever witnessed in a Brighton side - and I've following them for over 40 years! Possession football with flair. The only people who objected to it were those neanderthals who wanted us to lump it forward at every opportunity. Look at the players we had that season compared to what we have now.

Taken out of context. I also said : "Loads of posts complained about our lack of shots on goal and sideways football."

I think it's true to say League 1 Poyets's team were great to watch but in the championship he was much more defensive and cautious.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I haven't read the thread answers,.... but my view is at the very moment we capitulated to Palace in the play-off.
Play Off Semi's last year wasn't too bad.

The wheels fell off during the summer, pre-season was a joke, sold our best players, replaced them with average players and appointed the wrong manager.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When genuine ambition to reach the Premier League took a back seat.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not backing Oscar in the January transfer window

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
When we took our eye off the ball - literally! i.e. Actual football 2nd to commercials.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here