Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When did it start to go wrong?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Giving Poyet the keys to the safe and filling the squad with players on big money, who contracts expired after Poyet was sacked. Bloom went all in on Poyet and to be fair it almost worked. Been trying to balance the books ever since.

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
Straight after the palace play off defeat when mr Poyet uttered those immortal words 'hit the roof' (it might have been ceiling I can't remember) he was right!!!!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Mr. Bamber dying.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Harry Bloom's death.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When we failed to retain the Charity Shield!

Seriously, no, we're not on the brink of disaster, though the prospects for this season don't seem as bright as some other seasons. I think that poogate may well turn out to have been a turning point - we seem to have lost momentum since then, even though we did rather surprisingly sneak into the play-offs this year.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
the same evening as it started to go right for Palace.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Bloom, Poyet and Brighton, were a match made in heaven. What was good for one was good for another and everything was rosy in the garden. Poyet had a plan and Bloom backed him to the hilt. And it was working a treat, right up until Poyet started to believe his own press and touting himself for every job going. This first started right around the time we drew Liverpool in the FA Cup at Anfield. I honestly believe if we had pulled off a shock or even got a draw, then Poyet would have gone then, while his stock was high.. As it was we got thumped and Poyet crawled back into his shell for a bit. Then spent big in the summer and got the ball rolling again and when the clubs came calling in and around March time (Palace at home) his head was turned and he wanted out......No wonder Bloom felt betrayed and quite rightly so. Been counting the cost ever since.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
1 game into the season and the same result as the previous 2 play off qualifying seasons. It's not really gone wrong yet has it?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Before we beat Palace at home 3-1, I believe had we lost that game he would have gone. AS we beat Palace we overlooked our poor non scoring form in the run up to that game. It started to slip then. I was anti Poyet for his tactics and behaviour, however I am now starting to question others in this saga. This will unravel in the coming months or even after the transfer window.

Keith Wickendens death

Good one Ernest but I think it was Bamber's basic philosophy of essentially just underwriting the club's revenue expenditure that was doomed to fail. Ok, there's an element of hindsight from me here but despite a long list great days out watching the Albion during the 70's and early 80's I believe it was this short-termism that started us on the road to Edgar Street. The sacking of Mike Bailey, grim though many of the games were during his tenure, was an error of judgement.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Good one Ernest but I think it was Bamber's basic philosophy of essentially just underwriting the club's revenue expenditure that was doomed to fail. Ok, there's an element of hindsight from me here but despite a long list great days out watching the Albion during the 70's and early 80's I believe it was this short-termism that started us on the road to Edgar Street. The sacking of Mike Bailey, grim though many of the games were during his tenure, was an error of judgement.

But Albion had lost about 20 of Bailey's last 30 games in charge. Something had to be done, albeit not bringing in Melia.

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
Christmas 2016, rooted to the bottom of the premiership, Bloom sells to Thai Green Tea Billionaires that don't realise you can get demoted and they fire Sami despite his stellar last two seasons. How about that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here