Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When did it dawn on you that one day you'd die, and were you 'bovvered'?

Dancing Sock

Dec 8, 2012
Brighton
I'm not scared of death.

I was dead for 13.7 billion years until I was born and it didn't do me any harm.

I just hope I live a long, healthy, satisfying life. I'm 16 atm so I haven't really started my life yet. I've yet to have kids, have a job, get married, go to uni ect. All I've done so far in life is go to school every day.

Oddly enough I have been thinking about this lately much more than I use to, the fact that every single person alive right now will one day be dead, could be tomorrow, could be a 100 years but every day is the end of someone's life, every day marks the end of thousands of lives in fact.

If you spend your life thinking about death then you're wasting your time.

Jimmy Grimble

I do actually remember the time when i learnt that i would die, i must've been about 10 or 11, and i remember it really messing me up. I think it was because i never really grasped the concept of religion or the afterlife, it just made no sense to me and i always knew that after death, there was absolutely nothing - it still scares me now if im brutally honest - i still get that cold lifeless feeling whenever i start to think about the abyss of death.

Similar to this for me. Used to lay in bed having sleepless nights about it. Use to scare the shit out of me. Still does a little bit now I 'spose.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Having to stay in the Royal Sussex County hospital for a few days after taking some contaminated ecstasy pills five years ago.

Internal bleeding in my stomach and my kidneys had minor damage. That was scary and I thought my number was up. Now fully recovered although I don't drink alcohol, tea or coffee anymore.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Having to stay in the Royal Sussex County hospital for a few days after taking some contaminated ecstasy pills five years ago.

Internal bleeding in my stomach and my kidneys had minor damage. That was scary and I thought my number was up. Now fully recovered although I don't drink alcohol, tea or coffee anymore.

Take it you have stopped the other stuff too

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Similar to this for me. Used to lay in bed having sleepless nights about it. Use to scare the shit out of me. Still does a little bit now I 'spose.

Used to scare me quite a bit when I was younger (12-14 years old).

Now I,ve had most of life, I see it very differently now.

A 'lifetime' is just an elongated day.

When you first get up in the morning ...(0 years -5 years real life), you,re not sure where you are or what you,re going to do.

By about 9.00am.....(16years-21 years real life), you,ve prepared for the day ahead.

You work from 9.00am to 5.00pm.....( 21years - 60 years real life), with the odd break in the day (holidays, real life)....maybe an extended lunch hour (gap year, real life). Plenty of incidents during the day.....meeting the boss (future partners, real life), take on extra duties (growing family, real life) , meet your targets...(Mortgage, rent, bills, bills and more bills, real life).....maybe even a bit of overtime (mistress in real life..not to be advised, very draining on energy levels).

By 5.00pm, you go home for the evening......(60 years - 80+years, real life). Your time is now yours...or so you think. The evenings TV and relaxing is disrupted by adverts and phone-calls....( family crisis, illness, etc etc in real life).

By 10.00pm, you,re tired and want sleep....(anything from 70+years in real life).

By 11.55pm, you,ve dragged yourself wearily out of your chair and summoned just enough energy to climb the stairs, get undressed (prepared yourself for the inevitable in real life) and get into bed.

When your head hits that pillow.....you embrace sleep (death). If you have had a good day...(led as good a life as you can in real life), you will have no fears of impending nightmares and welcome the peace that lays ahead. Who knows what tomorrow brings.......? No one. But......it definitely has far less fear when you are so very very tired.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Used to scare me quite a bit when I was younger (12-14 years old).

Now I,ve had most of life, I see it very differently now.

A 'lifetime' is just an elongated day.

When you first get up in the morning ...(0 years -5 years real life), you,re not sure where you are or what you,re going to do.

By about 9.00am.....(16years-21 years real life), you,ve prepared for the day ahead.

You work from 9.00am to 5.00pm.....( 21years - 60 years real life), with the odd break in the day (holidays, real life)....maybe an extended lunch hour (gap year, real life). Plenty of incidents during the day.....meeting the boss (future partners, real life), take on extra duties (growing family, real life) , meet your targets...(Mortgage, rent, bills, bills and more bills, real life).....maybe even a bit of overtime (mistress in real life..not to be advised, very draining on energy levels).

By 5.00pm, you go home for the evening......(60 years - 80+years, real life). Your time is now yours...or so you think. The evenings TV and relaxing is disrupted by adverts and phone-calls....( family crisis, illness, etc etc in real life).

By 10.00pm, you,re tired and want sleep....(anything from 70+years in real life).

By 11.55pm, you,ve dragged yourself wearily out of your chair and summoned just enough energy to climb the stairs, get undressed (prepared yourself for the inevitable in real life) and get into bed.

When your head hits that pillow.....you embrace sleep (death). If you have had a good day...(led as good a life as you can in real life), you will have no fears of impending nightmares and welcome the peace that lays ahead. Who knows what tomorrow brings.......? No one. But......it definitely has far less fear when you are so very very tired.

Nice post i like it-but normally i am 40 going on 70,however i stayed upto 0130 Friday and Satuday so i could live to 110 yet..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yes. Over 18 months now. Not even tempted. Drugs are illegal because of the physical and mental damage they do.

And they cannot be taxed either,still that's good to here.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Nice post i like it-but normally i am 40 going on 70,however i stayed upto 0130 Friday and Satuday so i could live to 110 yet..

LOL......!

It is a simplified version but, having cared for the elderly most of my life, the thoughts of living to 100+ is something that would really scare me.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Yes. Over 18 months now. Not even tempted. Drugs are illegal because of the physical and mental damage they do.

Well done. Keep going.

SeagullJR

May 9, 2012
I'm 20, and I've already thought about it. I'm not that bothered about dying but what I am bothered about is the people I would leave behind.

With you on this one. I don't think its death that people fear, its the unknown. On the other hand if we knew what happend when we kicked the bucket the world would be a ****ed up place.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
With you on this one. I don't think its death that people fear, its the unknown. On the other hand if we knew what happend when we kicked the bucket the world would be a ****ed up place.

It's the pain that would get me,i don't want no long drawn out saga,just a short exit,preferably peacefully & in my sleep- what lies on the other side holds not a fear for me-

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
OAP now,and have been aware of intimations of mortality for a long time.

We are all making our own - hopefully slow - way to the crematorium.It's a natural process is all.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
At 71 I know I have lived the majority of my life span and so the final journey will come sooner rather than later. I hope for a happy peaceful death but as life and supporting The Albion has taught me, hope is one thing reality is something else.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
I'm not bothered about dying, as I have no dependents, and won't be overly mourned/missed anyway. I'm more concerned about the fact that, as a Capricorn, I didn't do much when younger that my body would have let me, and now in middle age, my body won't allow what I'd like to do :) It's not would I, it's could I?

why did it matter if you were a capricorn or not?

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Can you remember the place you were in before you were born?

At death that is the place you are going back to.

No problem.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It happens to us all, so no sense in worrying about it.

We have it within ourselves to change the journey, but not the destination.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can you remember the place you were in before you were born?

At death that is the place you are going back to.

No problem.

It was Sidcup I think.

Not overly fussed about going back there to be honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here