Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's your favourite children's book?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The Jennings and Derbyshire books, by Anthony Buckeridge.

They were all set in a British boarding school back in the 1950's. All very upper-middle class, but l loved them as a kid.

The author lived in Chailey for many years l believe. Does anyone else remember them?.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Stig of the dump. Brilliant book when I was at primary school.

41VGAG5QTWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,5.jpg

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I can read with my eyes shut - Dr Seuss (love the 'hot eyebrows', Foo Foo The Snoo and Jake the Pillow Snake)
Park in the Dark - Waddell
The Man Who Wore All His Clothes - Ahlberg
Each Peach, Pear, Plum - Ahlberg

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003

They were all set in a British boarding school back in the 1950's. All very upper-middle class, but l loved them as a kid.

The author lived in Chailey for many years l believe. Does anyone else remember them?.

Brilliant books - recently bought 'The Best of Jennings' - Anthony Buckeridge died aged 92 in 2004.

My other favourites were 'Charlotte's Web' & 'Marmaduke & Joe'.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Brilliant books - recently bought 'The Best of Jennings' - Anthony Buckeridge died aged 92 in 2004.

My other favourites were 'Charlotte's Web' & 'Marmaduke & Joe'.

Loved the Jennings books, and used to have a tape of Kenneth Williams reading Marmaduke and Joe. Also excellent!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Paddington Bear Books and a special mention to Emil and the Detectives.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Wind in The Willows, which I still read at least once a year
Winnie The Pooh
Kookaburra Creek
Tubby Tin Can
Swallows and Amazons
Narnia

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Wind in The Willows, which I still read at least once a year
Winnie The Pooh
Kookaburra Creek
Tubby Tin Can
Swallows and Amazons
Narnia

Good call with Wind in the Willows and Winnie the Pooh but Paddington Bear still kicks their sorry arses into the long grass imo. Next you will be saying Rupert Bear, that mutherf*cker is not fit to wipe PB's arse.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

Yeah, they used to have them in the school library when I was young - think I read all the ones that were available there although I couldn't tell you now what any of them were about, liked them as I remember though.

Oh, and (somehow) I forgot 'The Compleat Molesworth' by Willans and Searle.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Good call with Wind in the Willows and Winnie the Pooh but Paddington Bear still kicks their sorry arses into the long grass imo. Next you will be saying Rupert Bear, that mutherf*cker is not fit to wipe PB's arse.

Paddington never captured my imagination the way Moley, Badger, Ratty et al's story of friendship and basic kindness did.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Paddington never captured my imagination the way Moley, Badger, Ratty et al's story of friendship and basic kindness did.

You did not get the ongoing tension between Paddington Bear and Mr Curry ? That ongoing saga had me gripped from start to finish.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
This was the favourite for my two when they were tiny
guess_how_much.jpg

Although this one, bought for my eldest by my brother in law (c'monbarrybringonwoody) always went down well.The book even came with a soft toy Mole...complete with a turd on its head!!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The Happy Prince by Oscar Wilde
The Snow Goose by Paul Gallico

= two classics

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Julia Donaldson has written so many good books for young-uns. Lynley Dodd wrote the Hairy Maclary and similar books, also great.

Surprised no-one has mentioned Emily Gravett given that she's local, but books like Monkey and Me and the Rabbit Problem are very engaging for slightly older kids.

And if you're reading to them rather than expecting them to read them themselves, things like the Greek and Norse myths go down a storm.

Fight to decide it?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silver_Sword

I got really ill when I was a kid and was off school for about a month. I asked mum to pick me up a bunch of videos to watch and instead she went to the library and grabbed me a bunch of books. This one was on the top of the pile and got read first. After finishing it I read it again; and again and again and again. The others remained untouched.

Such a great adventure story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here