Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's your favourite children's book?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The Narnia series - If pushed to select only one, it'd have to be The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
The Giant Jam Sandwich - all rhyming couplets
King Solomon's Mines - although the racism is breath-taking by today's standards

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Wind in the Willows - and I still read it frequently

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
At the other end of the spectrum is Baby Brains, or something like that. Utter, utter tripe.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
At the other end of the spectrum is Baby Brains, or something like that. Utter, utter tripe.

Baby Brains is great. What's wrong with that?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
A couple of Enid Blyton books were my favourite as a kid. Mr Gallianos Circus & Well Really Mr Twiddle

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Boing! by Sean Taylor is superb. When they get a bit older (7ish plus) though you can't beat a bit of Mr Gum by Andy Stanton. Absolutely hilarious (featuring an angry fairy who whacks you with a pan if your garden becomes untidy AND a butcher called Billy William among other bits of comic genius).

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
This
download.jpg

Read it endlessly to both my kids,(and others) and they love it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Baby Brains is great. What's wrong with that?

If it's the one I'm thinking of where this 'child genius' kid ends up going to University at a week old, and then into space shortly afterwards, I just thought it was plain stupid. I know there's meant to be a bit of make-believe in children's books, but this was just too far-fetched for me. Maybe I read it and read too much into it, but it really annoyed me when I read it.

I've always thought that, to a point, there should be a lesson to be learned from children's books, but I didn't get what the message was meant to be with it. I just found it dull and a little bit odd but, like I say, maybe I was taking it to literally. :shrug:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If it's the one I'm thinking of where this 'child genius' kid ends up going to University at a week old, and then into space shortly afterwards, I just thought it was plain stupid. I know there's meant to be a bit of make-believe in children's books, but this was just too far-fetched for me. Maybe I read it and read too much into it, but it really annoyed me when I read it.

I've always thought that, to a point, there should be a lesson to be learned from children's books, but I didn't get what the message was meant to be with it. I just found it dull and a little bit odd but, like I say, maybe I was taking it to literally. :shrug:

Yes, that is the one. There's also a second one in the series where Baby Brains becomes a rock star when it turns out he's a musical genius.

There's no social message in it, as you say. Just a fun, tall story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here