What's your best memory of the Goldstone?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
The anticipation before our first match in the top flight of English football, v Arsenal, August '79. The realisation of a dream.

Last game of the 1987-88 season against Bristol Rovers to clinch promotion. Apart from the Cup Final, I'd only ever witnessed mid-table and relegation since my first game back in 1980.

This and the 2 - 0 against Liverpool in the FA Cup in 1984.

Also have a good memory of a match I didn't go to. Perhaps some stats. fiends can fill in the details.........

Midweek game v Pompey sometime between 1989 - 1991. One of my bosses was a keen Pompey fan and went to the game. Not much of a Pompey crowd and they were put in the south - east corner by the old South Stand. It rained, lots. When the Pompey fans were thoroughly wet the stewards/police took pity on them and let them into the South Stand. Pompey scored early on in the game I believe, Brighton scored twice in the last few minutes. The handful of Pompey fans were held back until the home fans had dispersed so that they could sit in the damp and ponder their loss. Oh how I laughed the following day!

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
That was only my second Albion game. And the one that got me hooked for good!! I remember my mate's dad taking us to the match and telling us to be careful. I think he was shitting it more than we were!

Think the attendance that night was actually around 34,500 - absolutely incredible for a third division match, even more so when you consider that although both teams were on the edge of the promotion race, neither were at the top of the table. That was also the match (allegedly) that 'Seagulls!' started to be chanted in response to Palace's 'Eagles!' - so that was the night when our nickname was born.

Loads bunked in that night and it was well above capacity.:eek:

Oct 2, 2008
The anticipation before our first match in the top flight of English football, v Arsenal, August '79. The realisation of a dream.

I felt like that but was brought swiftly down to earth by a sound beating on the pitch and being chased all over the North Stand by their pleasant travelling support !. I remember a mate of mine scrambled on to the pitch to avoid the trouble when it kicked off before the game and promptly got ejected by the police and missed the game !.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports