Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats the world coming to

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
On a positive note. Well done to the old lady for still holding her own against the mugger. Considering she had fallen, she must of showed some spirit to then hold enough strength to prevent having her bag snatched. Well done to her x

Yes she's always been a bit feisty, several years ago in Preston Park a terrified child ran up to her followed by a middle aged man. The man said he was the childs grandfather down from Liverpool, my mum held on to the child till the police arrived and sorted it out, despite a torrent of abuse and threats of violence from the man. There was also an incident a few years back in the Strand in London when she was returning home from a theatre trip when she waded into a group of men who were kicking some guy unconscious. They were so shocked they stopped and ran off.

She's quite frail these days, and I am aware that this incident is the exception rather than the norm and nice people are in the majority, just frustrated that people stood around and no one came to help.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Yes she's always been a bit feisty, several years ago in Preston Park a terrified child ran up to her followed by a middle aged man. The man said he was the childs grandfather down from Liverpool, my mum held on to the child till the police arrived and sorted it out, despite a torrent of abuse and threats of violence from the man. There was also an incident a few years back in the Strand in London when she was returning home from a theatre trip when she waded into a group of men who were kicking some guy unconscious. They were so shocked they stopped and ran off.

She's quite frail these days, and I am aware that this incident is the exception rather than the norm and nice people are in the majority, just frustrated that people stood around and no one came to help.

I agree, it's a disgrace that no one went to her help. It's a reflection of the state our society is in right now. Fear.
But still, Well done to your mum. She sounds like a good, strong character. The mugger definitely picked on the wrong person and thankfully he got what he deserved, nothing.
Hope, your mum is okay. x

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I agree, it's a disgrace that no one went to her help. It's a reflection of the state our society is in right now. Fear.
But still, Well done to your mum. She sounds like a good, strong character. The mugger definitely picked on the wrong person and thankfully he got what he deserved, nothing.
Hope, your mum is okay. x

This.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I'm not the Daily Mail reading, hand wringing type but stories like this make my ****ing blood boil.

My frustration is that even if caught, a custodial sentence would have been unlikely and any alternative means of punishment would have been grossly insufficient. People who happily commit crimes which cause substantial emotional and / or physical damage to a person need to be dealt with severe consequences.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I'm not the Daily Mail reading, hand wringing type but stories like this make my ****ing blood boil.

My frustration is that even if caught, a custodial sentence would have been unlikely and any alternative means of punishment would have been grossly insufficient. People who happily commit crimes which cause substantial emotional and / or physical damage to a person need to be dealt with severe consequences.

Correct.
This lady mentioned seems fairly strong, because it would affect many of her age. My Nan was burgled a few ago, she was never quite the same after that incident. The bloke was caught and was not punished enough imo.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
A few weeks ago my mum had her purse stolen in a supermarket by an opportunist thief. She didn't realise it had gone until she got to the checkout. The worst thing about it was that Sainsburys couldn't give a f*ck. When challenged about CCTV capturing the crime, the shop said that there wasn't enough items in her shopping trolley. What a lame excuse. We were absolutely livid with the response from the supermarket and only the police showed an interest in catching the scum. There's now a boycott from there which will cost the shop in the long term. I'm never setting foot in there again and have told a few other people to try and avoid it (the prices are on the steep side anyway for food and drink).

There will always be wrong 'uns on the lookout to target vulnerable people. Sadly that's the way things are now. I never carry money or my mobile phone in my pockets on the tube in London because it could quite easily be removed in a crowded carriage.

Hope your mum recovers from her bad experience, shingle. Well done to her for putting up a fight. Hopefully the scumbag will get caught and get a good kicking in future.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Having read through the whole thread, the first reply is probably most accurate. Whoever did this was on drugs, or looking for his next fix. And this being Brighton of course, the city that is considering legalising heroin and cannabis, that can only mean one thing...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No, because 'what' can be used like this:

What shoes I'll be wearing tomorrow

True, but in the context I'm confident the OP is suggesting a question as opposed to making a statement.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

An unpleasant experience for your mum, hope she fully recovers okay.

Help can come in different forms, I would certainly have stopped, provided first aid and comfort until she was back on her feet or the ambulance service arrived to take over. However, I tend to avoid confrontation, obviously impossible for me to assess the situation based on words alone, but if the individual attempting the mugging had turned on me, maybe pulled a knife, to the point where I became the victim, with risk of injury or worse, I would probably be very wary of intervening unless there were lots of others around. Tricky call.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
True, but in the context I'm confident the OP is suggesting a question as opposed to making a statement.

The OP had 30 minutes to add a question mark and, tellingly, he didn't, even when it became a topic of discussion. Even if he wanted it as a question, it would have been a very leading question and one that still contributes to a climate where elderly people fear to go out, because street crime is considered typical rather than atypical behaviour.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The OP had 30 minutes to add a question mark and, tellingly, he didn't, even when it became a topic of discussion. Even if he wanted it as a question, it would have been a very leading question and one that still contributes to a climate where elderly people fear to go out, because street crime is considered typical rather than atypical behaviour.

I really do think you are reading way too much into this thread.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I really do think you are reading way too much into this thread.

The reading way too much came from the OP when he presented the incident as a genuine reflection of the world. And don't think I was the only one who caught that link being made. Although he was more accepting of it than I was, Mackenzie did too:

I happen to agree with him as well, what sort of society produces such shit human beings that'll try and pinch an old girls bag after a fall.

There was a time in the 1960s and 1970s when horrible incidents tended to be reported in the papers as isolated cases, which they were. Nowadays, the trend is to over-analyse them and sensationalise them to present them as symptomatic of a much wider broken society. I'm actually calling for a measured response rather than any kind of 'reading way too much' approach to dealing with bad news.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
The reading way too much came from the OP when he presented the incident as a genuine reflection of the world. And don't think I was the only one who caught that link being made. Although he was more accepting of it than I was, Mackenzie did too:

There was a time in the 1960s and 1970s when horrible incidents tended to be reported in the papers as isolated cases, which they were. Nowadays, the trend is to over-analyse them and sensationalise them to present them as symptomatic of a much wider broken society. I'm actually calling for a measured response rather than any kind of 'reading way too much' approach to dealing with bad news.

I quite enjoyed that you spent so much time niggling about the op's point.
You are quite special.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Good.
Grief.

The OP starts a thread about his poor old mum having a very unpleasant experience, and you turn it into a psycho-analysis session within a socio-political context and how this does or does not reflect on modern day society and yaada yaada yaada blah de blah de blah de blah, based on whether a fricking question mark should or should not have been added. Who the frick cares.

Sorry to hear about your mum shingle, I hope she's on the mend and not been too badly affected.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Good.
Grief.

The OP starts a thread about his poor old mum having a very unpleasant experience, and you turn it into a psycho-analysis session within a socio-political context and how this does or does not reflect on modern day society and yaada yaada yaada blah de blah de blah de blah, based on whether a fricking question mark should or should not have been added. Who the frick cares.

Sorry to hear about your mum shingle, I hope she's on the mend and not been too badly affected.

You're barking up the wrong tree, given that it was the OP who set out to place the nasty incident within a sensationalised reflection of the world, not me.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Horrible for her to go through. I hope she isn't too scarred by it. Just to provide a different perspective, my mum was in her eighties and feel twice in a year in brighton because of low blood pressure. On both occasions the good folk of brighton were superb. They couldn't have been more helpful. Sounds like your poor mum was the victim of a junkie. But you'd really have hoped someone would have stopped him.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
No, because 'what' can be used like this:

What shoes I'll be wearing tomorrow:

1337439673-05648400.jpg

Now if the OP had posted this instead, and the Goldstone rapper replied simialrly to that in the way he has to this thread i'm pretty sure he would have included comments like ...

Why highlight these shoes, there are plenty of other types of shoes out there, some good and some bad and it's not right that you single out these shoes for special attention as there are billions of pairs in the world....

An unbelieveable reaction from GR in light of what happened and I hope that she is ok

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I'm not actually being harsh. Harsh would be allowing the OP to carry on developing a view of the world as unsympathetic to the safety and health of his mother, without showing there are many more people who are much kinder than the perpetrator of the crime. There may even be many more people out there that would have been courageous or effective enough to respond to his mother's needs, who just weren't there at the incident. Harsh would be not offering that as a different perspective.

I think it's awful what has happened to shingle's mum. It's worthy of consideration on its own as an isolated incident without having to transform it into a reflection of the world at large.

Frankly, I would ask "What is the world coming to?" when people like you voice this sort of rubbish. Shingle's Mum fell over. Someone tried to steal her bag in front of other people who did not try to help, except for the ambulance people. And all you care about is whether Shingle tars everyone with the same brush. In his distress and shock, I doubt Shingle had the presence of mind to even think that way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here