Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What’s the song played at the end of today’s game?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Just watched the new Fatboy Slim documentary and it’s stirred me up about this.

Albion’s victory music (right here) right now, HAS to be Praise You rather than a generic dance track that everyone is using.

The work of a true Albion fan who helped keep the club alive - tick
Lyrics that perfectly reflect the club’s amazing history - tick
Long instrumental section which allows the team and fans to celebrate properly together - big tick

It has a unique link to the club and the city. We should celebrate that. More appropriate now than ever before.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I would say, providing it is a song where the words are known by the vast majority of fans like eg Sussex By The Sea or Hey Jude (which I’m afraid a lot of chants aren't - how about some printed versions with the music please hardcore NSCers!?) , the one thing the PA does (apart from hurt my ears with tinny crap in the build-up and at HT), is get everyone singing the same song at the same time and personally I think it is that that makes the atmosphere in any stadium - too often during play there are several chants going on at the same time (depending on where you are sitting) and never the whole stadium singing at the same time. We need to be making more noise during home matches and doing it with one voice across the stadium- I WANT TO NOT BE ABLE TO HEAR THE AWAY FANS AT HOME MATCHES!! 😜

I think it is right that there should be a break after the last whistle and before the PA kicks in - at least until the team/coach ‘walk’ - This was a great post match atmosphere - one of the best in my experience for a long while - if we use other victory songs, the general all age population of Brighton fans need to know them very well.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I would say, providing it is a song where the words are known by the vast majority of fans like eg Sussex By The Sea or Hey Jude (which I’m afraid a lot of chants aren't

Hardly any of us that went to the Albion as kids would have known Sussex By The Sea. You could argue the same with Praise You for anyone under 30 I suppose. We learned to associate SBTS with the club and it became an essential - and best of all, unique - part of the matchday experience. Far better than some generic tune being played to death at every club in the country. Pre-match, totally agree that it's good to get a singalong going as we're woefully short of inspired tunes. Afterwards, we don't need it - the place is rocking regardless and it spoils the feeling of connection with the team. The lights don't bother me but drowning out all shouting and singing's not great.

Also, if you celebrate every 1-0 home win over Bournemouth like we've just won the Champions League, what do you do for the REALLY big occasions?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Hardly any of us that went to the Albion as kids would have known Sussex By The Sea. You could argue the same with Praise You for anyone under 30 I suppose. We learned to associate SBTS with the club and it became an essential - and best of all, unique - part of the matchday experience. Far better than some generic tune being played to death at every club in the country. Pre-match, totally agree that it's good to get a singalong going as we're woefully short of inspired tunes. Afterwards, we don't need it - the place is rocking regardless and it spoils the feeling of connection with the team. The lights don't bother me but drowning out all shouting and singing's not great.

Also, if you celebrate every 1-0 home win over Bournemouth like we've just won the Champions League, what do you do for the REALLY big occasions?
Well, back in the day (60s) the Salvation Army band would march up and down the Goldstone pitch at half time playing Sussex by the Sea. Maybe it went out of fashion a bit in the Seventies when Bamber decided that the Rocky theme tune was appropriate.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I thought it was very close to being naff but my 8 year old LOVED it as did other children around us.
Yep, my 6 and 8 year olds love it too. We were at a party recently and they were going up to the DJ asking for Freed from Desire. They also change the words to Undav/Welbeck's on fire which does make me laugh to be fair.

I'm totally over it and would MUCH rather have Praise You but clearly it's working for the kids.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
To be honest, if the energy costs are contributing to the increased ST prices, then the light show can get tae fack! :rant:

Only joking. We hot-footed it out of there to get the bus, but I've no problem with it because, personally, I can't see how a bit of music and a few flashing lights can put a dampener on getting three points from a bogey team and continuing the push for Europe. But this thread is just another example of how you can't please all football fans all the time!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Hardly any of us that went to the Albion as kids would have known Sussex By The Sea
I went to the Albion as a kid - Most older people (Sussex born fans ) would know it as a traditional Sussex song (written in 1907 btw) - music doesn’t begin and end with the Albion.

Tbh I welcome every celebration whatever its nature and regardless of who we are playing. If fans want to scream, dance on the terraces, sing SbtS after every match we win I don’t give a sh1t -

We’ve spent too many years working to get where we are today but not enough years where we are now, to start behaving like privileged fans who take their team for granted.

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Odd isn't it, I'm over 60, hate all the razzmatazz and just want footie, but I really enjoyed it and it spread the mass exodus a bit too.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't object to post match music or lights. But yes leave a good couple of minutes for applause etc to subside and then happy to get the party started. They could also do after parties in the concourses and some would hang around and have a beer and a pie because of it.

Don't see why it has to be the same song every time or a generic one which is played in every stadium though.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I went to the Albion as a kid - Most older people (Sussex born fans ) would know it as a traditional Sussex song (written in 1907 btw) - music doesn’t begin and end with the Albion.

Tbh I welcome every celebration whatever its nature and regardless of who we are playing. If fans want to scream, dance on the terraces, sing SbtS after every match we win I don’t give a sh1t -

We’ve spent too many years working to get where we are today but not enough years where we are now, to start behaving like privileged fans who take their team for granted.
Not quite sure what your point is. I went to Albion as a kid and am well aware of the song's history. The point I was making is that the club doesn't HAVE to play the same euro-pap as everyone else. It can use its own tunes that have some meaning locally, and youngsters will quickly associate those with their great day at the football - just as we all did. Nothing specifically against Freed From Desire - top club tune and amusing when it was first adopted by football fans several years ago. But it kills any organic celebration at the one time when the Amex can generate a great atmosphere unaided: after a win.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Not quite sure what your point is. I went to Albion as a kid and am well aware of the song's history. The point I was making is that the club doesn't HAVE to play the same euro-pap as everyone else.
Firstly I thought you said most people that went to Albion as a kid wouldn’t know SbtS - I simply said I did because it’s a traditional Sussex song, and had heard of it by Albion adopted it.

Secondly - my point (which was actually very different to yours btw but equally valid) was that PA music enables the stadium crowd to sing in unison - I uploaded the phone video I took at the Man United match as an example of how playing SbtS post match adds to the atmosphere of post match celebrations but that I think it’s a good idea to wait until the team starts walking the field before the PA music starts to give fans a chance to do their own thing as it were - I like the spontaneity of that.

I made no points about any other music, just that playing SbtS or Hey Jude, songs that everyone knows, means the whole stadium sings together. Which for me is both an advantage of PA led music and of songs people know well. As far as pre-match build ups or during matches, because not everyone knows the words to chants ( which can be sorted if we can get them on the big screen or make them available some other way), we end up being a rather disparate bunch of fans and the noise we make is less effective than it would be if we all sung or chanted together (instead of it being a group here and a group there at different times) I would like us to be generally much louder in our support so we need to be more familiar with the chants and our own songs and more people need to sing them at the same time imo.

As I said, post-wins, as long as everyone is celebrating and happy at the end of a win, personally I don’t really care how over the top it is - every win is a cause for celebration IMHO because we are doing brilliantly at the moment and my mojo is good. I’m not too bothered how we do it as long as the fans are doing it and it’s Brighton specific (eg SbtS or HJ etc

There almost repeated word for word previous points but hopefully a bit clearer.

We don’t all have to make the same points or agree with each other - it’s only opinions at the end of the day!

Last edited:

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Yep, my 6 and 8 year olds love it too. We were at a party recently and they were going up to the DJ asking for Freed from Desire. They also change the words to Undav's on fire which does make me laugh to be fair.

I'm totally over it and would MUCH rather have Praise You but clearly it's working for the kids.
what the hell - sort them out :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here