Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What's the best song you have heard today? Share it here.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Always liked this when it was first released in 1967, what I had forgotten was the BBC banned it because of the risque lyrics. A certain Radio 1 Dj (Simon Dee) ignored the instruction and played it on his show twice and was subsequently suspended by the BBC. The song only mentions becoming a Gigolo, drug taking (opium), enticing young girls into prostitution while running a Brothel, getting regularly pi**ed and it got banned for that, it's PC gone mad I tells ya! Originally by Jacques Brel and also recorded by Marc Almond, I still think this is the definitive version of it with great orchestration and Scott Walker's superb vocals.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Always liked this when it was first released in 1967, what I had forgotten was the BBC banned it because of the risque lyrics. A certain Radio 1 Dj (Simon Dee) ignored the instruction and played it on his show twice and was subsequently suspended by the BBC. The song only mentions becoming a Gigolo, drug taking (opium), enticing young girls into prostitution while running a Brothel, getting regularly pi**ed and it got banned for that, it's PC gone mad I tells ya! Originally by Jacques Brel and also recorded by Marc Almond, I still think this is the definitive version of it with great orchestration and Scott Walker's superb vocals.

Well, all that and basically becoming God as well, just to tick all the bases..... What was the BBC’s problem FFS? [emoji23]

The absolute GENIUS and no f###s given of "former teen pop heartthrob" Scott Walker.

I must admit I've never heard the original so will have a look.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here