Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What's the best song you have heard today? Share it here.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was 23 in 1976 and well into Rock/Blues Rock/Hard Rock/Prog Rock with a side of classic Motown and Soul. So when all the hype started about Punks and this lot turned up, to say I was less than impressed was a massive understatement, and then I saw this and had to admit (quietly) that I actually liked it. I was too old to take all this malarkey and never destined to be a hardcore lover of Punk, but they did have their moments and this was one of them for me.
punk:

Old fart :wink:

To be honest, I was 18 in 76 and music being so tribal back then in the UK it would have been weird for people in their early 20s to be into punk. Eater did a cover of Alice Cooper's 17, and renamed it 15 (I won't post it as it's against thread rules) sort of making the point.

None of that matters now, at least not at the music gigs I go to, where the range is teens to older than me (64).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I’ve never posted on this thread before, and hope this isn’t too much ageing hippy.

But I’ve just been reminded of this, which I’ve known for about 50 years, and it just got me……….

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Triggered today by re-reading Medway Punk anthology The kids Are All Square and recalling how we came to love Darts via local heroes and one-hit-wonders Late Show

This really is a beautiful massively-underrated song with a pretty gorgeous sax solo :love:

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Just listened to this. Brings together several things. One of the last bands I saw live. Music that maps to the Rotherweird books I read recently (weird emotional level). And the Covid home working. I recommend mining these boys deep. Loads of live stiff online as well as studio. Hairs up on back of neck time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sd9nEpqVOQ
[MENTION=1721]Mr Putdown[/MENTION] alert :wink:

Bl00dy ell, that's good.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bl00dy ell, that's good.

Check them out! Kim and I saw them in a tiny venue in Deal or Broadstairs a few months before Covid. Remarkable band. :thumbsup:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS

To be honest, I was 18 in 76 and music being so tribal back then in the UK it would have been weird for people in their early 20s to be into punk. Eater did a cover of Alice Cooper's 17, and renamed it 15 (I won't post it as it's against thread rules) sort of making the point.

None of that matters now, at least not at the music gigs I go to, where the range is teens to older than me (64).

You young farts no nothing!

:kiss:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

I’ve never posted on this thread before, and hope this isn’t too much ageing hippy.

But I’ve just been reminded of this, which I’ve known for about 50 years, and it just got me……….

That is a great song and here is more Kevin Ayers from the Softs first outing in 1968. Wonderful bass & vocal and that drumming from Robert Wyatt!

Sadly got into the Softs 76-77 (via Triple Echo - superb compilation album of their early stuff), when they had evolved into a rather sterile jazz rock combo. Everything up to 1971 and Soft Machine 4 is worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5_xAXtQdtM

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
One for Superphil as I know he is a Gong Fan and especially Camembert Electrique.

Almost all the Original Band, Daevid Allen, Gilli Smyth, Didier Malherbe, Tim Blake, Mike Howlett and of course Canterbury's Finest - Steve Hillage

Sadly the original drummer from the Classic period, Pierre Moerlen (Drummer) died very young in 2005.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPaAF9--k7Y

Last edited:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Eater were a great band. I just listened to "15", was going to post it, but then came across this ....................

https://youtu.be/_hOCeAbojrQ

This thread is a nightmare!

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
The crazy head banging psychedelic acid rockers known as Hawkwind. One of my first jobs in the early 70's was working in a Supermarket, up stairs in the meat prep area they had a big electric bandsaw which sounded like the beginning to Silver Machine when you started it up. The Butcher eventually banned us from stopping and starting the bandsaw before it seized up.
Happy days!
:lolol::rock:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The crazy head banging psychedelic acid rockers known as Hawkwind. One of my first jobs in the early 70's was working in a Supermarket, up stairs in the meat prep area they had a big electric bandsaw which sounded like the beginning to Silver Machine when you started it up. The Butcher eventually banned us from stopping and starting the bandsaw before it seized up.
Happy days!
:lolol::rock:

When I was about 14 my mum invited my brother's new girlfriend to Sunday dinner. It was all very formal and uncomfortable. My mother had some God awful radio station on just to add to the starchiness .............. then came a familiar intro ............ I looked at my brother and laughed. That's Silver Machine, he said. The noise certainly broke the ice :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here