Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's NSC's favourite studio album by The Beatles?

Which is the greatest album by The Beatles?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
White Album for me, love the diversity. Closely followed by Abbey Road. The 'Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight / The End' medley always gets me choked up, wonderful stuff.

Seconded

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Diversity and innovation don't necessarily mean quality.

Yes, there are classics. While my Guitar, Back in the USSR, Helter Skelter, Revolution One are fantastic and there are other good tracks but Wild Honey Pie? I'm So Tired? Why don't we do it in the Road? Piggies and of course, the God-awful Revolution 9? Those alone take it down significantly in my estimation.

It's Abbey Road for me. The second side is probably my favourite side of music written.
As to your White Album assessment, I'm a big fan of I'm So Tired, and Why Don't We Do it in the Road.
Revolver and The White Album vie for second place.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Abbey Road, but I also think Yellow Submarine deserves a shout, especially the re enhanced songtrack version minus the soundtrack music.
Only a Northern Song, All to Much and one of my all time favourite Beatles tracks, Hey Bulldog.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Rubber Soul for me. Transition between early and later days with the best of both.

Personally I really like Let It Be too. Across the Universe is my favourite Beatles song.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Let it Be should not be in the poll.

Why not? It's a Beatles studio album isn't it?

As for the music it's a good album. Not their best, there's a couple of duff tracks but the quality was there despite the fractures in the band at the time:

Two of Us - 7.5
Dig a Pony - 5
Across the Universe - 9
I Me Mine - 7
Dig It - 2
Let It Be - 9
Maggie Mae - 4 (I actually quite like it as a folk song but it has no place on a Beatles record, just a filler here)
I've Got a Feeling - 7
One After 909 - 7.5
The Long and Winding Road - 5 for the stringy Phil Spector mix. The stripped down version on Let it Be...Naked is fantastic - 8
For You Blue - 7
Get Back - 7.5

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Abbey Road for completeness, Revolver for edge.

10372579_545144362261910_795884284570550299_n.jpg

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
You've posed me a problem as the title of your thread refers to favourite album but the poll asks which is the greatest. Having been blow away as a young teen by the unique Sgt.Pepper's, I'd have to say that was still my favourite. Those too young to have been around when it was released will find it hard to understand what an impact it had (I believe it even prompted the Stones into their only false move, the ill-advised "Psychedelic" Their Satanic Majesties Request).

In terms of the best album I think that Revolver just shades it in front of Abbey Road and Magical Mystery Tour.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I really love A Hard Day's Night - it's pretty much the definitive Beatlemania album, if you don't count the singles, obviously.

For the later stuff, I couldn't choose between Sgt. Pepper and the White Album which in common with just about every double album, would be the best album of all time if you trimmed all the shite off it and made it a non-double album. Bungalow Bill, Rocky Raccoon, Revolution 9 all make my skin crawl, whereas Helter Skelter, Blackbird, Dear Prudence etc etc etc are as magnificent as it gets.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Let's face it: there simply isn't a bad one, at all. Even Beatles For Sale - their weakest without question - has tracks of unparalleled genius on it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
12 albums in 9 years, unbelievable body of work.

I think this is what elevates them and makes them untouchable by any other band. That much variety, that many great great songs, in 9 ****ing years?! It's unbelievable nowadays, in the genuine sense of the word.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Revolver just edges the White album for me.

12 albums in 9 years, unbelievable body of work.

Agreed, with Hard Day's Night just behind.

I tried boiling the White Album down to a single album, and it was effing amazing.

I was disappointed how many people liked Sgt Pepper. Have you listened to it recently? I mean, She's Leaving Home? When I'm 64? Really?

Knock those two off and replace them with with the more-or-less contemporary Strawberry Fields and All You Need Is Love and get rid of Within You, Without You in favour of either of George's songs from Yellow Submarine (It's All Too Much or Only A Northern Song) and you might have something ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here