kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Last edited:

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Where do I start?

Lived here for 30 years, and most of what has already been said is correct.

Hassocks, by the way, is a type of grass that grows in clumps. Hassocks currently has a brand new Railway station being built, but back in the 1840s when the first railway station was being constructed, the Parish Council's of Keymer and Clayton couldn't agree on a name for the new station. So the London and Brighton Railway Company called the station Hassocks, after the nearby Hassock Field and the village grew around it. I know this because, after the Councils amalgamated, I became the Chairman of Hassocks Parish Council.

We do have a wide range of shops etc, with a village Sainsbury's due to open this year, and four pubs! Up on the hill are the famous Jack and Jill Windmills, where I spent many a happy hour restoring Jill. The three schools are excellent and popular, so popular in fact many of the children attending them come from the surrounding villages, Burgess Hill and Brighton.

The Weald Tennis and Squash Club is currently undertaking a £1M improvement programme and will be one, of only two, offering Clay Courts in the area, These will be in addition to the other all weather floodlight courts, and 4 squash courts.

Hassocks has a number of football pitches, Hassocks Robins play at the Beacon ground and are currently fifth in the Sussex County League Division One. Other teams play in Hassocks, some at the Adastra Park, which in addition to football pitches offers cricket, bowls, tennis, stoolball, skateboarding and croquet etc etc. The park also boasts a new modern sports pavilion, a large well appointed hall, and a Men's Club with comfortable surroundings, two 50" TVs and a large number of snooker and pool tables.

If you want to live here, there's a wide range of properties available, but with such excellent facilities and transport links you have to expect to pay a bit more.

Could go on, but by now you can see I like living here. We have the Amex easily available by train, coach and car, we have Brighton nearby and London only an hour away, leafy lanes to cycle on and the South Downs for relaxation.

What more could I want? Well 9 more points would be nice!!!

Cheers

Any comment on local dogging hotpspots and whats the village wife-swapping set-up like, any good?

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
The plan to merge the nearby villages of Bolney and Hassocks creating a new village called Bolocks has I believe caused some controversy!

Needed acknowledging, well played.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Moved to Hassocks just under a year ago and really like it. We are in Clayton Mills which means the locals don't much like us but it is a very quiet spot. Good local facilities, good rail links and easy to get to The Amex.

kc1

Nov 11, 2011
On the subject of Hassocks and train stations, can any of our resident railway experts explain to me the sign at the end of the south bound platform at Hassocks that bears the legend "DOO TRAINS STOP HERE" WTF? :shrug:

'DOO' mirrors (the big curvy ones) are on the platform for the drivers to use to see if the platform is clear. Some trains come equipped with cameras now so they don't need to use them.

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
henfield is middle class suburbia - where the people pretend to be rich with cocaine and flashy stuff - but live well in debt......snobberysville.......horrible place.

Yes you should see us on a match day, around 80 of us at 1pm massing in the High Street -off our heads we are. None of us can drive, so some bloke with a magic bus arrives and our escape from reality begins. Time to leave and we're out of our brains on the 5.15. No one knows what it's like to be hated, to be fated.....to telling only lies.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not really, I win national awards for it. You?

Wow. You do realise I was being light hearted with my original comment, yes? For a stand up you have an incredibly thin skin.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Taza is OK, I prefer The India Garden just up the road, proper old school Curry House.

Taza is ok. Asian Rose up the top of town is ok too. The India Garden is probably one of the best traditional old curry houses I've been to, and their food is the best I've eaten. Fantastic Indian restaurant.

Not in Hassocks but worth travelling to IMO

Last edited:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
On the subject of Hassocks and train stations, can any of our resident railway experts explain to me the sign at the end of the south bound platform at Hassocks that bears the legend "DOO TRAINS STOP HERE" WTF? :shrug:

DOO = " Driver Only Operation " - i.e. First Captal Connect

It's so they can see the big rear view mirror to make sure it's safe to shut the doors.

Hassocks is more recently known as 'ram-raid central'.

Attachments

• 314 .JPG
    314 .JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 365
  • 312 .JPG
    312 .JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here