Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's Hassocks like to live in?

Yep the Shunam was excellent last time I tried it. That was at least 5 years ago though so might not be there now. Was run by the same people that run Taza in Burgess Hill i believe?

Taza is OK, I prefer The India Garden just up the road, proper old school Curry House.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I live in a neighbouring village but I do know it well. Access to the Downs by foot is nowhere near as good as Hurstpierpoint's and it's not particularly pretty but it ticks plenty of other boxes:
Railway Station (10mins Btn, around 55 Lnd)... two banks... infant, primary and comprehensive schools... very good shops for a village high street including a hardware store and an excellent Budgens... plenty of independent businesses... a garage... chippy... a lot of good value (relatively) housing.

Comfortably the worst chip shop I have ever been to

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
We made good use of Hassocks village after the match on Saturday. Had a couple of pints up the Thatch, one in the Hassocks and then a curry in the Shunam. Shame I then had to go home to Burgess Hill.

D

Deleted member 18477

It's in the south so better to live in than most of the country!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I grew up in Burgess Hill but was fortunate enough to have my secondary schooling at Downlands. Decent place to live, not too dissimilar to Burgess Hill/Haywards Heath.

Just don't live near Bentswood Crescent!

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Hassocks is home to my favourite golf course.
Pretty much the only time I go there

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I ran away from it thirty years ago.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
i have brought 2 cars from there

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
The plan to merge the nearby villages of Bolney and Hassocks creating a new village called Bolocks has I believe caused some controversy!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
This.

When I grew up in Sussex I used Hassocks for the train station and the secondary school. Not much to say other than that. It's alright.

On the subject of Hassocks and train stations, can any of our resident railway experts explain to me the sign at the end of the south bound platform at Hassocks that bears the legend "DOO TRAINS STOP HERE" WTF? :shrug:

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Never lived there myself but I do have a property in Keymer that I'm currently trying to let. Would be ideal for a family, recently refurbished 3 bed semi with great access to Adastra Park, 12 min walk from the station.

All yours for £1200 a month ... :thumbsup:

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Where do I start?

Lived here for 30 years, and most of what has already been said is correct.

Hassocks, by the way, is a type of grass that grows in clumps. Hassocks currently has a brand new Railway station being built, but back in the 1840s when the first railway station was being constructed, the Parish Council's of Keymer and Clayton couldn't agree on a name for the new station. So the London and Brighton Railway Company called the station Hassocks, after the nearby Hassock Field and the village grew around it. I know this because, after the Councils amalgamated, I became the Chairman of Hassocks Parish Council.

We do have a wide range of shops etc, with a village Sainsbury's due to open this year, and four pubs! Up on the hill are the famous Jack and Jill Windmills, where I spent many a happy hour restoring Jill. The three schools are excellent and popular, so popular in fact many of the children attending them come from the surrounding villages, Burgess Hill and Brighton.

The Weald Tennis and Squash Club is currently undertaking a £1M improvement programme and will be one, of only two, offering Clay Courts in the area, These will be in addition to the other all weather floodlight courts, and 4 squash courts.

Hassocks has a number of football pitches, Hassocks Robins play at the Beacon ground and are currently fifth in the Sussex County League Division One. Other teams play in Hassocks, some at the Adastra Park, which in addition to football pitches offers cricket, bowls, tennis, stoolball, skateboarding and croquet etc etc. The park also boasts a new modern sports pavilion, a large well appointed hall, and a Men's Club with comfortable surroundings, two 50" TVs and a large number of snooker and pool tables.

If you want to live here, there's a wide range of properties available, but with such excellent facilities and transport links you have to expect to pay a bit more.

Could go on, but by now you can see I like living here. We have the Amex easily available by train, coach and car, we have Brighton nearby and London only an hour away, leafy lanes to cycle on and the South Downs for relaxation.

What more could I want? Well 9 more points would be nice!!!

Cheers
Fabulous reply. Thank you

On the subject of Hassocks and train stations, can any of our resident railway experts explain to me the sign at the end of the south bound platform at Hassocks that bears the legend "DOO TRAINS STOP HERE" WTF? :shrug:

Station is tiny, so Double 'O' gauge trains only stop there! :lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't know, what is Hassocks like to live in?

(better be a good punch line Steve?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here