Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's happened to our football?

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Liverpool where only on 16pts entering December last season, this is what happens when a change of style and mentality is being implemented. Surely everyone has to understand this?

I don't buy the god given right to overnight success, it just doesn't happen, not in th real world anyway.

Agree mate ! I guess a few on here demand it !

What utter bollocks. If my granny had wheels, she'd be a bus!

Others have questioned whether Mr Garcia had any say in the signing of Chicksen or Andrews. I've suggested that if this were the case, he or any Manager in his position, would start asking himself whether he was at the right club. The same questions were asked regarding Poyet and signing of Roland Bergkamp.

This is getting embarrassing now people wetting themselves after two games. Oscar will need time the same time Gus had we have no given right to be promoted many teams have been a championship club a lot longer than we have.

Are you seriously saying all the progress we've made over the past 2 seasons, from 10th to 4th, is now wiped clean and we have to start again?

How many more seasons will that mean us competing against ever more parachute payment teams?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
How long did it take for Oscar to knock Maccabi Haifa into shape, I'm sure it was longer than 4 or 5 weeks.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I was watching yesterday and virtually every time he hit it long and every time from a goal kick the number of timers he played it short you could count on one hand. Most were lumped into the centre circle. Did we win a 2nd ball NO did we win many balls in the air in the centre circle that went to a player NO. That is the criticism being leveled at our display of looking like a disorganized shambles with nobody knowing what they were supposed or expected to be doing.

I am afraid Titanic you must be watching the game through blue and white striped glasses and not watching the actual football.

We will have to agree to disagree. All I remember about Kuszczak's long kicking were the attempted 'placed' mid-range kicks that skewed out of play over Calderon or Ince's heads. And perhaps a few in the latter stages, when we were chasing a game in the second half, when it was obvious that we needed to 'get it up there' and hope for a chance.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
How long did it take for Oscar to knock Maccabi Haifa into shape, I'm sure it was longer than 4 or 5 weeks.
I've also mentioned this as did the Maccabi fan who posts on here they had a dodgy 6-7 games then started to win almost every game I'm excited for the future.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I have said I would like to see us pass it from the back to the midfield to the strikers quickly not with 25 passes like Gus had us do it. This was evident with our goal, last season it would have been played around just outside of the box looking for an opening but now we are getting a cross in a lot quicker and creating the opening.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
As I have said I would like to see us pass it from the back to the midfield to the strikers quickly not with 25 passes like Gus had us do it. This was evident with our goal, last season it would have been played around just outside of the box looking for an opening but now we are getting a cross in a lot quicker and creating the opening.
Villareal played this way but then their squad is worth 35 million euros

This is the hardest thing to do in football. Do you think it just happens because the coach tells them to do it? The amount of time we kept the ball last season was about tryint o create an opening without surrendering the ball. How much premium Oscar places on us not losing the ball for me is the big unanswered question about our tactical approach. I think we could afford to take gambles with the ball more if we had a rock solid defence - but we have makeshift full backs and a development squad defensive midfielder - it just doesn't add up to me

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I've also mentioned this as did the Maccabi fan who posts on here they had a dodgy 6-7 games then started to win almost every game I'm excited for the future.

Yep you can say it again and again, but those who don't want to listen won't.

Like I would say it's a positive move to take the players out of their comfort zone as part of the learning curve, indstead of the safe keepy ball tactic we have become used to.

But as I said this statement will go ignored by those who refuse to see the bigger picture.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yep you can say it again and again, but those who don't want to listen won't.

Like I would say it's a positive move to take the players out of their comfort zone as part of the learning curve, indstead of the safe keepy ball tactic we have become used to.

But as I said this statement will go ignored by those who refuse to see the bigger picture.
Exactly I can remember games last year that I found incredibly boring to watch passing around the back for 20 minutes then guess what teams pushed up and it all went to shit, I'm liking the new approach.

Can we not aspire to do that with our players it isnt so difficult to try, sometimes it will work sometimes it wont but you wont know until you try.

We are trying to do exactly what you say. Early days, but the results are poor so far

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yes it was terrible wasn't it :rolleyes:

As I said before, it was no coincidence that our games, were more often than not, shown at the backend of the FLS.

If our football was that great on the eye, I would have expected more coverage.

We did what we did very well under Gus, but when you play a 541 formation you will have a solid defense with most of the tippy tappy football being played in your own half. However we need to get used to playing in the opponents half. That is what we want, this is where the real ambition is, and it will take time.

I always stay to the end to support the players, but there were many games where I considered going at half time or wondered wtf am I doing here. I specifically remember us being 2-0 up against Bristol City and wanting to leave because it was so dull.

For me it's not always about the winning, it's the entertainment.

Last edited:

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Think we did OK. We are creating chances and 2nd half was pretty decent yesterday apart from their goal. He has had 5 weeks with the players. A lot of the signings have come in late and seem to be lacking fitness. 3-4 players light still and a lot of injuries to players who can make a big difference.
Been mentioned but Maccabi took 5-6 weeks to click into gear. The rest is history their. He will need till christmas to work with this current set of players and we will start to see the benefits.
As for tactics we are playing with much more movement than we used to. The players are currently struggling but Poyet's system was ridged Oscars has lots of players in constant movement.

As I have said previously I think that it will be showing come end of September/October

Well, we didn't give our promotion rivals a two-month head start last season. If the aim is midtable, it's fine to write off that time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here