Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's happened to our football?

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Second game I have watched under Oscar.

And there you have it. Two whole games. Plenty of chances in both to win. I've always said if we can be top half of the table by Xmas that's fine this season and have a push for the playoffs afterwards. Anything better is a bonus, anything worse is a slight concern.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Mostly this but if anything does worry me it's David Burke players coming in to Oscar Garcia tactics. As someone said to me after the game all Oscar's contacts are in Spain and here we are signing Irishmen from Bolton.

Don't forget he did take Robert Earnshaw on loan to Maccabi last season, so he must have some idea of British football. Not saying this was anything to do with Oscar, but don't presume he doesn't know who Andrews is.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Read a few places that the late appointment of OG was a cock up by the club as it hasn't given him enough time with the players. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, apart from the initial fitness assessments, wasn't Oscar in place for the first training session of the year? The club have given him as much time as possible, but it's still only been about 6 weeks. We can't expect everything to click straight away.

I didn't watch yesterday but stats show us having more chances, a penalty shout and hitting the post. Last week could have gone either way but for a couple of good saves by the leeds keeper and an unseen handball for their winner.

If players are being signed without Mr Garcia having any say in the matter, and this continues, it won't be long until he decides to look else where. We all know what happens when Chairmen or their Minions try to interfere with what is supposed to be the manager's job. Should we be asking whether Mr Garcia was hired as a Head coach or Manager?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
If players are being signed without Mr Garcia having any say in the matter, and this continues, it won't be long until he decides to look else where. We all know what happens when Chairmen or their Minions try to interfere with what is supposed to be the manager's job. Should we be asking whether Mr Garcia was hired as a Head coach or Manager?

What utter bollocks. If my granny had wheels, she'd be a bus!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My major concern is the way Kuszczak is, obviously under orders, lumping it forward every time and making every ball in the centre circle a 50/50 ball and we are not winning the 2nd ball at all, I would prefer to see him give it to one of the back four to pass to the midfielders and they release it forward for the strikers. I thought that this was Oscars method of quick attacks, but obviously I am mistaken and under the wrong apprehension.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Always was going to be a late starter for us with what has happened in the summer , give it to the first couple of weeks into September we'll be fine !

Liverpool where only on 16pts entering December last season, this is what happens when a change of style and mentality is being implemented. Surely everyone has to understand this?

I don't buy the god given right to overnight success, it just doesn't happen, not in th real world anyway.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
My major concern is the way Kuszczak is, obviously under orders, lumping it forward every time and making every ball in the centre circle a 50/50 ball and we are not winning the 2nd ball at all, I would prefer to see him give it to one of the back four to pass to the midfielders and they release it forward for the strikers. I thought that this was Oscars method of quick attacks, but obviously I am mistaken and under the wrong apprehension.

again... I have no idea what game you were watching. If anything he was playing our back four into pressure situations by short passes rather than clearing it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was watching yesterday and virtually every time he hit it long and every time from a goal kick the number of timers he played it short you could count on one hand. Most were lumped into the centre circle. Did we win a 2nd ball NO did we win many balls in the air in the centre circle that went to a player NO. That is the criticism being leveled at our display of looking like a disorganized shambles with nobody knowing what they were supposed or expected to be doing.

I am afraid Titanic you must be watching the game through blue and white striped glasses and not watching the actual football.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This is getting embarrassing now people wetting themselves after two games. Oscar will need time the same time Gus had we have no given right to be promoted many teams have been a championship club a lot longer than we have.

Oscar is trying to get us playing with a higher tempo but if we are to keep the same amount of possession as last season, that surely requires better technical players than we have. Critics of the Gus style (admittedly they only came out of the woodwork after the Palace game) are quick to point to the "slowness" of our play but that wasn't cos Gus didnt want to zip it around like Barca, it was because he was cutting his cloth according to the player we could afford. Possession of the ball is key because that stops the opposition putting our defence under pressure (hence our great defence stats last season) and allows us to boss games.

As Nigel Clough said yesterday, and I quote: "Generally we are under the kosh when we play here with Brighton passing it around and we can't get near them. But this time I felt it was the other way around".

Oscar I feel has to be more patient - take the pressure off our makeshift defence by getting his players to look after the ball better and to stop the over-ambitious direct passing that isnt working

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here