• Potentially losing Harvey's

Votes: 43 56.6%
  • What about the children?

Votes: 18 23.7%

• Total voters

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Not missed the point at all, everything about the club is now pointing towards a new business model on all levels which will mean that the cub will have cheaper running costs and higher profits. If Harvey's can't/won't supply enough at the right price they will be out. The big brewers can just up their production a fraction to cope with our fortnightly demands and undercut Harveys. In my book they will just be replacing piss with piss. so no loss.

But the point we are trying to make is by replacing the local ale with some faceless mass produced shite they won't sell the volumes, people will spend less time in the Amex using Brighton pubs instead leading to less sales on other items. The whole local beer and pie thing is a great marketing tool. How many other local breweries could provide the volumes that Harvey's do, there are plenty of other local beers I would be just as happy to drink but I would not buy the likes of John Smiths.

On the original question it's all depends on the replacement Gus's replacement looks more than adequate so let's see what happens on the beer front.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Neither really bother me, but Harveys is very popular, so why not just put it up 10p a pint, rather than simply get rid?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I can't say I'm fussed about either option really, Gus has given the impression he's wanted out for quite a while and as much as I like ale I'm no great fan of Harvey's. Mind you whatever beer or cider they sell is never going to feel right all the time it has to be drunk out of a plastic beaker rather than a glass.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Can't believe the fuss that's been made about Harvey's. Sure it tastes ok and it's a local business but Jesus. If you want your beer of choice go to the pub not a football stadium. The tantrums from beer snobs are quite hilarious.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The tantrums from beer snobs are quite hilarious.

I think you'll find it's more a case of local business snobs. The Amex is called a community stadium, so it should support the community.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
John Smiths = Pulis. It was that scary. Harveys is probably Kenny Jacket tbh but it can be consumed in great quantities without too much worry. As for Oscar, I'm hoping he's Cask's own cranberry milk stout.

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
John Smiths = Pulis. It was that scary. Harveys is probably Kenny Jacket tbh but it can be consumed in great quantities without too much worry. As for Oscar, I'm hoping he's Cask's own cranberry milk stout.

Good analogies! I'd have had Harveys down as David Moyes. Long term, both respected and loved, no nonsense, high quality, with occasional shot at the big time. Always being compared with younger managers with new fancy, continental ways.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
There's no sentimentality with John Smiths.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Good analogies! I'd have had Harveys down as David Moyes. Long term, both respected and loved, no nonsense, high quality, with occasional shot at the big time. Always being compared with younger managers with new fancy, continental ways.

Moyes is probably a better option, maybe Martinez. Nice and consistent but out of the elite of beers I'd probably go elsewhere (for me).
John Smiths = Pulis. Successful but very ugly and cheap with the tendency to go straight through you.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I know I should not get involved in this as a Palace fan so firstly let me apologise.

Having been to the Amex a few times now, the one thing I really liked was the fact the catering was local, pies and beer all made in Sussex and the nice touch of the local beer for the away fans (London pride)

Palace have spent the last couple of seasons promoting the local beer called Cronx and we buy it because it is very tasty and a local beer.

I am quite aware that these days everything has to make loads of money but it’s a shame that that local produce gets ousted for faceless mass corporate tasteless shite.

As aside, I am a bit of a wet Liberal who buys all my veg, meat and fruit from local suppliers.

Make a stand, be proud and be Sussex!!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I don't drink so it doesn't affect me in the slightest, but on principle I think it would be a shame if a local product isn't at the Amex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here