Whatever you think about the demise of Gus at the Albion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
I agree OG has no knowledge of the Championship as such and he will take time to adjust to other teams tactics etc. I am not expecting to win games from the off although our home form will be key in the early games. I don't think that OG has " a Ceiling" like Gus and will just look to improve the team as we go along. He seems a much more level headed coach. It will be interesting to see his interviews once the Gus thing is sorted. At least he doesn't appear to be a "look at me" coach in the Gus mould. Having said that we have a lot to thank Gus for, but he has gone and we have to move on and OG will hopefully deliver what Gus did not. The holy grail of the premiership.

I think Oscar will have enough games before the season starts to galvanise the squad into his way of playing and therefore get us off to a winning start.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
You have to laugh at some of these comments, especially those with rose tinted Poyet glasses on.

So what's your totally mirth-free and well thought out opinion?

I find it more laughable that you post on this thread, but add absolutely nothing to the debate. Who are these people with 'rose tinted Poyet glasses on'? Do you mean anyone who has any positive feelings towards Gus?

We have been spoilt under Gus Poyet. The football has been superb, the philosophy throughout the club, spot on. Let's hope Oscar can break through the ceiling that Gus thought we'd hit.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So what's your totally mirth-free and well thought out opinion?

I find it more laughable that you post on this thread, but add absolutely nothing to the debate. Who are these people with 'rose tinted Poyet glasses on'? Do you mean anyone who has any positive feelings towards Gus?

We have been spoilt under Gus Poyet. The football has been superb, the philosophy throughout the club, spot on. Let's hope Oscar can break through the ceiling that Gus thought we'd hit.

couldnt have put it better myself

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Should still be here. Shame so many sensitive souls got offended by his comments. Shame the club couldn't continue to commit to the Gus project. But onwards we move, lets hope Gus's team can get promoted even without Gus at the helm.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Shame the club couldn't continue to commit to the Gus project.

In fairness I'm not sure the club could afford to continue to commit to the Gus project, For all his good points he's the type of manager that could lead you into financial problems with his constant demands for bigger budgets. Thankfully the people running the club were strong enough to stand up to his hissy fits and negative press he gave the club if he didn't get his own way.
I liked Gus and the style of football he brought to the club and I wish him all the best for the future, But part of me will be forever puzzled how he failed to get last seasons team promoted.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We also had Upson and Ulloa settled into the side from then on. The tactics didn't change, did they? We always played the same under Gus, very minimal tweaks tactics wise.
As a rule, under Gus we were more afraid of losing a game than we were eager to win.
Tiny margins, I know, and who's to say the confidence in not being beaten in a win/lose division, which last season undoubtedly was, didn't see us through.

But playing within a 'must not lose' mentality, was clearly different to a 'we need to win' approach.

Graymac

May 1, 2013
Isle of wight
As a rule, under Gus we were more afraid of losing a game than we were eager to win.
Tiny margins, I know, and who's to say the confidence in not being beaten in a win/lose division, which last season undoubtedly was, didn't see us through.

But playing within a 'must not lose' mentality, was clearly different to a 'we need to win' approach.

Totally agree with this, thanks Gus but a team that can not win when going behind with the players we had. We need to see a more attacking style, we drew so many games last season that we could have & should have won if we had gone for it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You have to laugh at some of these comments, especially those with rose tinted Poyet glasses on.

Here's a thought - post an opinion of your own, otherwise you just come across as a complete cock.

Most people with have positive things to say about Poyet, because he was undeniably a massive force for the good at the club. The fact that we were averaging 28,000 in the second half of the season is at least in part down to the quality of the football.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I know, right? Anyone would think we went from relegation candidates in League One to promotion candidates in the Championship, in just 3 years, playing brilliant football?!?!

Where do they get it from, eh?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

The stats wouldn't bear your comment out. There were plenty of games where we bombarded the opposition goal but couldn't finish (Bolton, Blackburn, Reading year prior). The tactics were allowing for PLENTY of attacking football.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It was a great three years. Whatever his public or private faults (and the club must have thought they were pretty bad to have taken the action it did) it was the best three years this club has had since the late 70s. How can anyone say any different?

But, forlorn hope I know, is there any chance this could be the last thread on the subject? Let's look forward now and hope that next three years under Oscar also see a promotion season and us finishing in the top half dozen in the division above!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I agree with @icy gull @commander and @simster

Also agree with @brovion we have to get behind Oscar and hope he takes us to the next level. I would be stunningly happy with a top 6 finish this year under him.

This wont be the last Gus thread, there is still to much unresolved to tell. But I hope we have more Oscar threads

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
BS. We drew far too many games we should have won. You are the one who appears to lack understanding.

Nope. When we wobbled and went on a bad run, we still picked up points. That's why we stayed in the top 6 and finished 4th. When others around us went on a bad run, they lost game after game. Yes we drew games we should have won, but that happens to everyone, we also drew a lot of games we should have lost, and that's why we finished so high, because of those extra points we picked up there.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
part of me will be forever puzzled how he failed to get last seasons team promoted.

It's really not that hard to work out- last season's team was only in place from January onwards. Had we had that team from August, we would have got promoted.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
As already said, we were more attacking after Gus said in the media that we needed to take more risks to reach the play-offs, and that was clearly evident in games and coincided with a fantastic run of form and a whole load more goals.

In terms of shots per game, we were 13th last season, suggesting our chance conversion rate was pretty good (yes yes stats do not tell the entire story).

Mellotron, you are one of the most biased posters of this forum! All your opinions are skewed by any biases you have. You're so predictable - it's hilarious.

Saying that, Gus did well for us and did not deserve to be sacked for footballing reasons. I do agree that there was clear progression each season. However, I suspect our game will evolve to a faster and more attacking one under Oscar Garcia this coming season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mellotron, you are one of the most biased posters of this forum! All your opinions are skewed by any biases you have. You're so predictable - it's hilarious.

What you on about? I don't have "bias" towards Gus, I rated him as a manager and I'm sad that it didn't work out, but I have no lasting loyalty to him, so I don't know really what you're on about.

13th most shots is clearly miles away from most people, who said we were ULTRA negative. Clearly, they're talking bollocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports