Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whatever you think about the demise of Gus at the Albion

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I do agree with the sentiment here - let's face it we have never had better football to watch (well certainly in my 28 years as a regular), but in 20 years time I'm not sure what I will remember most - the fluid flair football, or the naive hotheaded outbursts. Only time will tell I guess.....

You just missed out on, what for me was the better period, the Mullery years when we played great attacking football. Waiting to be shot down in flames, I would say that Poyet has laid the foundations which is making yourself hard to beat. However, as an attacking force I don't believe we got the best out of the players at our disposal. Now I don't know whether Poyet had the ability to take this project to the next stage, nobody does. But what frustrates me over this whole saga is that very point. We'll never know where we could have gone had Poyet remained committed to the project.

For what it's worth, I'm glad we have had the last three years but now I'm looking forward to the next three.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just like to agree with Icy. If this is a final Gussie thread, I'm happy with it (I'm disregarding the pointless 'mind you . . .' merchants).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Wait for it...

Here they are.

And I have no idea why you are pretending you're all happy with Oscar, you do realise it's going to be the same style of football with a load of Spanish players again, don't you? Its called continuity, and is the reason we didn't go for Allardyce or McCarthy or Warnock or any of those managers that you'd have loved.You'll be moaning about why Oscar doesn't get us to just boot it up to Ulloa within a couple of months. And your comment is completely ridiculous anyway. This team is Gus' team that he built, if we go up with it then of course some of the credit has to go to him. These players came to play for him, they wouldn't be here otherwise. This ridiculous argument of "he couldn't do it with all these players" is farcical, he put those players together in the first place!

But he failed to get promo. If OG tweaks the squad, plays a more attacking but similar style, and we get promoted, then it will be down to him, not Gus. Gus' over-defensive style cost us IMHO.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I would say that Poyet has laid the foundations which is making yourself hard to beat. However, as an attacking force I don't believe we got the best out of the players at our disposal. Now I don't know whether Poyet had the ability to take this project to the next stage, nobody does. But what frustrates me over this whole saga is that very point. We'll never know where we could have gone had Poyet remained committed to the project.

Pretty much how I feel about it, although I'm fairly confident he did have the ability to finish the job. I'd say we've probably been set back a year by him leaving, if he was here and happy and committed I'd be predicting a top two finish next year, as it is I reckon 6th place is the target, which I'd be more than happy with.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You just missed out on, what for me was the better period, the Mullery years when we played great attacking football. Waiting to be shot down in flames, I would say that Poyet has laid the foundations which is making yourself hard to beat. However, as an attacking force I don't believe we got the best out of the players at our disposal. Now I don't know whether Poyet had the ability to take this project to the next stage, nobody does. But what frustrates me over this whole saga is that very point. We'll never know where we could have gone had Poyet remained committed to the project.

For what it's worth, I'm glad we have had the last three years but now I'm looking forward to the next three.

Spot on, including the Mullers bit.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
But he failed to get promo. If OG tweaks the squad, plays a more attacking but similar style, and we get promoted, then it will be down to him, not Gus. Gus' over-defensive style cost us IMHO.

Gus wasn't over defensive, that's a myth, put about by people who don't have a good enough understanding of the game to realise that you can play attacking football without having two strikers up front.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Pretty much how I feel about it, although I'm fairly confident he did have the ability to finish the job. I'd say we've probably been set back a year by him leaving, if he was here and happy and committed I'd be predicting a top two finish next year, as it is I reckon 6th place is the target, which I'd be more than happy with.

We'll never know whether Gus could have taken us to the next level. And I see no reason whatsoever to believe his departure and replacement by OG has set us back. Let's see how he does rather than assuming it wii be top 6 at best! Glass half full here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We all knew it was going to end, but I still struggle to believe it ended so badly.

I now wonder how Gus would be reacting if his and Oscar's position was reversed.
There is no way Gus could cope being mute for x amount of weeks/months.
Just knuckling down and attempting to get the job done.

I loved the pantomime and theatrics while they were here.
But suddenly I was mightily relieved when the circus left town.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gus wasn't over defensive, that's a myth, put about by people who don't have a good enough understanding of the game to realise that you can play attacking football without having two strikers up front.

BS. We drew far too many games we should have won. You are the one who appears to lack understanding.

Aug 23, 2011
We'll never know whether Gus could have taken us to the next level. And I see no reason whatsoever to believe his departure and replacement by OG has set us back. Let's see how he does rather than assuming it wii be top 6 at best! Glass half full here.

There is very rarely a seamless transistion between managers so to expect the team to automatically pick up from where they left off is naive.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
There is very rarely a seamless transistion between managers so to expect the team to automatically pick up from where they left off is naive.

Rather, I would say not pessimistic. But there you go. We'll see, won't we. Gus hit his imagined ceiling. Let's see what OG can do, shall we?

Aug 23, 2011
Rather, I would say not pessimistic. But there you go. We'll see, won't we. Gus hit his imagined ceiling. Let's see what OG can do, shall we?

I'm not pessimistic but realistic. I have no reason to doubt oscars ability but he won't know his best squad/team for his system until probably at least 10 games in. I'm not saying we'll start badly but you've got to expect some disruption.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

This. We had a HUGE host of chances in a lot of games last season. The problem was down to Te finishing - the system created tonnes of chances.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Gus had a clear track record of progression 3 years in a row. It would be unusual if he didn't progress us yet again the season after, and the 2nd half of last season pointed towards yet further progression. We consistently improved under Gus.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

This. We had a HUGE host of chances in a lot of games last season. The problem was down to Te finishing - the system created tonnes of chances.
As much as I agree that doesn't explain the fact that from the moment Gus said words to the effect of:-

'we need to risk losing to start winning, from now on'

we went on a good winning run that got us comfortably into the play-offs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As much as I agree that doesn't explain the fact that from the moment Gus said words to the effect of:-

We also had Upson and Ulloa settled into the side from then on. The tactics didn't change, did they? We always played the same under Gus, very minimal tweaks tactics wise.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I'm not pessimistic but realistic. I have no reason to doubt oscars ability but he won't know his best squad/team for his system until probably at least 10 games in. I'm not saying we'll start badly but you've got to expect some disruption.

I agree OG has no knowledge of the Championship as such and he will take time to adjust to other teams tactics etc. I am not expecting to win games from the off although our home form will be key in the early games. I don't think that OG has " a Ceiling" like Gus and will just look to improve the team as we go along. He seems a much more level headed coach. It will be interesting to see his interviews once the Gus thing is sorted. At least he doesn't appear to be a "look at me" coach in the Gus mould. Having said that we have a lot to thank Gus for, but he has gone and we have to move on and OG will hopefully deliver what Gus did not. The holy grail of the premiership.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008

Yes that worked, but he did not continue those thoughts into the play offs, he went back to the " we must not lose " tactics and they backfired.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008

Yes that worked, but he did not continue those thoughts into the play offs, he went back to the " we must not lose " tactics and they backfired.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here