Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What year did you leave school ?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
This thread makes me sad for all the young people, for whom it is so hard to find every day jobs that was so easy for previous generations to get. Interesting though.

...so easy to get.... Are you sure?

Young people these days, provided they work hard, have so much more opportunity.

50% now get the chance to go to University, whereas when I left school it was 5%

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

hod carrier

10 pound a day

Clearly not Superhod then!

As for me, left in 81. Had a job at Marriot In-Flite caterers up in Crawley. Lasted a couple of months as they wouldn't let me have a day off for the royal wedding. I left and we had a fantastic pub crawl that day. Luckily, back then, most pubs didn't have televisions!

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Same---three day week at Bevan Funnell - Newhaven as a cabinet maker.
Six o'clock start till ten o'clock in the evening.
Start in the dark - finish in the dark-------you try and tell the youngsters of today wot it was like:rolleyes:
Ten pounds a week as well:ohmy:

1978 - My first job was as a furniture polisher at Bevan Funnell! I worked there for many years with some great lads. Shame it closed down.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
1969. First job apprenticed plumber, 2 shillings an hour (10p) gave my mum £1.50 and spunked the rest

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
First P/T job in Jolyons on the Steine. Started in 1972 and worked Saturdays and school holidays until 1975 (when I left school).
1976 got a job at the Alliance and left that in 1977 to go to uni
1981 started working at the Co-op as a statistician

I can still remember all those jobs vividly - still recall my first weekly pay packet at Jolyons was in the Easter holidays 1973 - took home the grand total of £8.43

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I left school in 1988. My first paid employment was distributing listings of what was showing at the Duke of York Playhouse around Brighton. I got £1 per hour. My first full-time job was as a trainee accountant - £12k per year - in 1994.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
First job was part time as I had left school but still had to return for exams, working in a t- shirt printers folding and packing Pink Floyd t-shirts for The Wall concerts at Earls Court.

1977 Lloyds Bank, Pantiles Branch Tunbridge Wells. Now an estate agent's branch, most other closed TW bank branches are Italian Restaurant chains. Vol. redundancy 1992, 1993 - 1997 Tonbridge Railway Call Centre (great job, hated the shift pattern) vol. redundancy, 1997 - 2004 NPI UAT work, voluntary redundancy (see a pattern emerging?) house husband to 2008 until my current job.

Apart from Enrest and a couple of others how many "job for lifers" are there?

Last edited:

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
1997 - Worked the summer in Woolworths (Boundary Road) making £2.78 per hour - Sundays and Bank Holidays were time and a half. I was big pimping raking in that kinda wonga at 16. Sacked it off though in September to attend Sixth Form.

Last edited:

swervy_123

Dec 2, 2009
brighton
This thread makes me sad for all the young people, forit is so hard to find every day jobs that was so easy for previous generations to get. Interesting though.
Don't feel so sad I left school in 1981 f--ck all for u to do ,my son has just turned 16 so much for him to do. Couldn't believe how lucky they are now I went straight to work at 15 he has a choice of college and university I had **** all just work, so much has changed for our youngsters for the better . We still had the last of the real hard years now it's so easy you can't believe some of us have lived through proper hard times still remember queuing up for bread a long lewes road may be 100 people waiting for a loaf ..f--k me They were the day's

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
After finishing education, i went to work in the Selfridges warehouse. Was in charge of carefully filling the Manchester-bound lorry. 1998 i started there. £10k to start with. After the probation period it went up to £13k and i ran around the block in delight at this massive wage increase. There i met my old friend Juanny, who'd take charge of collections from the 5th floor, full of bedding and furnishings. He'd disappear there for about 4 years, sleeping and masturbating, before turning up for lunch for a pint and then again near the day's end with the 3 towels and 2 pillows he'd spent the day locating and packing.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
£1.11.6 a week as an electrical apprentice

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
After finishing education, i went to work in the Selfridges warehouse. Was in charge of carefully filling the Manchester-bound lorry. 1998 i started there. £10k to start with. After the probation period it went up to £13k and i ran around the block in delight at this massive wage increase. There i met my old friend Juanny, who'd take charge of collections from the 5th floor, full of bedding and furnishings. He'd disappear there for about 4 years, sleeping and masturbating, before turning up for lunch for a pint and then again near the day's end with the 3 towels and 2 pillows he'd spent the day locating and packing.

I think I'd like to clarify that this "Juanny" is not me. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here