Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what would you do?

what would you do?

• sell, sell, sell.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • keep it (them actually, includes LS&GC)

Votes: 34 87.2%
  • piss off jack, i'm not interested

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
i served in the Falklands and it is the 25th anniversary year.
do i sell my medal now or do i keep it for the kids for them to sell in the future when i have gone?
i have spoken to a few of you via pm's about this subject but i just wondered what the majority of you think about this.

thank you for your input

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
hampden park said:

:lolol: :lolol:

If I were you, I'd keep it and pass it down through your family.

My grandad has his father's medals from WW1 framed on his living room wall, along with the MBE that he (my great-grandad) was awarded.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I'd keep it and if having it around is a painful reminder for you, give it to your kids as soon as you think they'd appreciate it.

:)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'd keep unless I was absolutely brassic.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
maffew said:
how much would you get for it? are you desparate for the cash?

between £600 to £1,000 for my falklands medal and my LS&GC RN
together. no i am not desperate for the cash.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
hampden park said:
between £600 to £1,000 for my falklands medal and my LS&GC RN
together. no i am not desperate for the cash.

I think the fact that youre questioning wether or not to sell them on here, means that in your heart of hearts you don't want to sell them.

I wouldn't if I were you. I'm eternally fascinated and proud when I see my grandfathers medals and my uncles olympic medal. Makes me proud to be part of the family I am.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
tedebear said:

I wouldn't if I were you. I'm eternally fascinated and proud when I see my grandfathers medals and my uncles olympic medal. Makes me proud to be part of the family I am.

I know what you're saying Tedebear. Only this weekend we were tidying up the loft when I came across my runners up medals from the Balltree Golf Society and Howzat indoor cricket. I'm sure there was a tear in my little boys eyes when I let him have them.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
like i mentioned via pm matey, i sold mine within 12 months of coming out the corps

a bit of me wishes i hadnt but another bit of me thinks mehh whatever :)

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
tedebear said:
I think the fact that youre questioning wether or not to sell them on here, means that in your heart of hearts you don't want to sell them.

i think you may have hit the nail on head tedebear, in my heart of hearts i dont think i can sell them.

i did have them mounted onto green baize and then framed and they were hung proudly for all to see in my living room. on more than 5 or 6 occasions different people admired them and said that they wouldnt leave them on show as it would be a nice picking for a tea-leaf/opportunist/f***ing robber etc.etc.etc. so i took them down and put them in my knicks and socks drawer where they still lay. comes to something when you cant trust most people these days (family excluded obviously). having seen the poll the majority of you are saying keep them.

i am proud of what i did and i am proud of those who have fought in other wars for this country but society these days seems to have a different opinion of people like me. ho hum and bollocks to what they think eh?

thanks all :wave:

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Just as a matter of interest, WHO buys somebody else's medals for that sort of money? Surely in most circumstances a medal is worthless other than sentimental value? Maybe it's just me....

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
hampden park said:
i am proud of what i did and i am proud of those who have fought in other wars for this country but society these days seems to have a different opinion of people like me. ho hum and bollocks to what they think eh?

Good for you!! :cool:

My Grandfather on my Dads side served somewhere in Borneo, we've never been told exactly and what he did or what happened as it wasn't pretty apparently, and society deemed what they did as unnecessary, and they weren't popular - he came back a completely different person, and died eventually (years later) of a wound and the remains of some ammunition in his back. He became an alcoholic and quite aggressive, but I don't care - I'm proud of him and what he did for others, just wish he'd had the after care he needed. (I'm Australian btw if you didn't know).

So bollocks to society - be proud of your medals!!

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Skint Gull said:
Just as a matter of interest, WHO buys somebody else's medals for that sort of money? Surely in most circumstances a medal is worthless other than sentimental value? Maybe it's just me....

i thought the same SG till i looked on ebay. people buy them off people who are skint or have fallen on bad times and sell them on (obviously to make a profit). seen a few recently of my old chums being sold by a third party who had obviously bought it off them (person named on the medal) for a much cheaper price. :rolleyes:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
hampden park said:
i think you may have hit the nail on head tedebear, in my heart of hearts i dont think i can sell them.

i did have them mounted onto green baize and then framed and they were hung proudly for all to see in my living room. on more than 5 or 6 occasions different people admired them and said that they wouldnt leave them on show as it would be a nice picking for a tea-leaf/opportunist/f***ing robber etc.etc.etc. so i took them down and put them in my knicks and socks drawer where they still lay. comes to something when you cant trust most people these days (family excluded obviously). having seen the poll the majority of you are saying keep them.

Quite right too, whatever the supposed rights or wrongs you served your country and put your life on the line. That should never be allowed to be forgotten.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here