What would you consider an improvement next season?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Success?

• More than 69 points, closer in points to the champions - even if it meant we finished lower

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Play-off place - even if we scored fewer than 69 points

Votes: 64 77.1%
  • Not bothered

Votes: 9 10.8%

• Total voters

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Almost doesn't matter to me. Above 10th but I think we will do much better than that. The squad is already twice as good as last year and thats improvement for me, regardless if they take more than this season to gel we will still be better positioned when we get to the championship.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Almost doesn't matter to me. Above 10th but I think we will do much better than that. The squad is already twice as good as last year and thats improvement for me, regardless if they take more than this season to gel we will still be better positioned when we get to the championship.

Id argue it is statistically impossible for it to be twice as good.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The reason I was asking was I was thinking, suppose we get 80 points next season, and still not get into the Play-offs?

It's still a pretty decent improvement on the previous year, and that's what we're looking for etc.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The reason I was asking was I was thinking, suppose we get 80 points next season, and still not get into the Play-offs?

It's still a pretty decent improvement on the previous year, and that's what we're looking for etc.

I would say a team is judged more by where they finish than they're points tally.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Under Tommy Burns Celtic got more points than the season they finally ended Rangers' stranglehold on the Scots Prem. Which do you think the Celtic fans judged as the more succesful?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Because the public reasons for getting rid of Wilkins was so Adams could come in, with all his experience, and do better.

If he does not, or even if we are struggling mid-table by Christmas, Knight will look a bit silly.

It is a hell of a risk.

Er... no they weren't. Dick never said anything about getting rid of Wilkins purely in order to get Micky in.

You've been told the reasons why Dean was removed on the other thread. I think it's the fact you don't believe it that led to Lord Bracknell's 'amazement' comment.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Most of the fans? I don't believe that for a second.

Fact is people who are unhappy (about anything) are more likely to be vocal and tell people about it than people who are happy.

Most players? Evidence for this? Parting shots from players he had just released. Hardly without bias.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Most of the fans? I don't believe that for a second.

Fact is people who are unhappy (about anything) are more likely to be vocal and tell people about it than people who are happy.

Most players? Evidence for this? Parting shots from players he had just released. Hardly without bias.

Don't think he pissed off most of the fans either - certainly not come the end of the season.

He did piss the board off, and I know of a few players who were pissed off not so much with being dropped - that happens all the time - but his treatment of them thereafter.

One could argue it's petty tale-telling and sour grapes, but what I'd been getting from those players individually (and I'd had a natter with three - one was during the season, two afterwards, plus there was the Paul Reid story, which for me didn't need to come out) was the consistency in the story.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think he had pretty much won over a lot of the fans - not that he should have needed to in the first place.

Whether some of the players didn't get on with him I couldn't comment on. Not in a position to.

But, I do think he was probably up against it as far as juggling day to day coaching and the more admin / man management side of things.

When he replaced McGhee as manager was Wilkins ever REALLY replaced as a quality training field coach there to help the manager?

Did, and I never thought I would see myself type this, we miss a Bob Booker figure who acted as a middle man between manager and player?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
What would I consider a success?

automatic promotion as champions
winners of Johnstone's Paint Trophy
winners of the FA Cup
Winners of the League Cup
Entry into the UEFA cup

no more, no less...no pressure :ascarf:

lets not forget having FORKS at withdean