Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would it take to get you positive again about our super seagulls chances this year?

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I agree with much of what you say but I'm not sure anyone from the Club ever said anything about a 5 year plan. If you have a direct quote of that from Bloom, Barber et al please correct me.

To be honest with you mate, I can't be bothered to search for something he may or may not have said years ago, but even if he never said it, it is a pretty common perception which he has done nothing to deny.

All the other propaganda with premier league ready and one club, one ambition certainly points to that being the goal in anycase.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
To be honest with you mate, I can't be bothered to search for something he may or may not have said years ago, but even if he never said it, it is a pretty common perception which he has done nothing to deny.

All the other propaganda with premier league ready and one club, one ambition certainly points to that being the goal in anycase.
Yes but it is used as a stick to beat the Club with and I'm pretty certain nobody in official circles has said that there's any 5 year plan, although the 'one ambition' to be in the top league is admittedly the same thing without a time frame.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
What is annoying is that the Leicster Ulloa move was spoken about and bids rejected for ages why did they not then set a fee in their minds and line up a replacement in case it happened.

Another good post. Huddersfield wouldn't let Clayton go to Boro until they had a replacement lined up and rightly stood firm over this. We've known Leo would inevitably be on his way sooner or later so why sell with no replacement lined up? Why not try and get Wood as part of the deal? Wolves have put the money up for him. Lessons should have been learnt with the Barnes/Grabban cock up in January and yet here we are again flogging our best players without replacements. I fail to see how that cannot be frustrating to well paying customers.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Licker :lol:

I don't go very often these days because of the distance involved but when I did live down there I went week in, week out, home and away, even when we were at Gillingham I missed 4 games in 2 years.

However, Much as we all dreamt of returning to Brighton and still having a team to support, I don't think too many of us imagined having the highest ticket prices for a match day ticket outside the premier league and higher than some of the clubs in the premier league.

Mr Bloom has done a fantastic job of delivering a world class stadium and a grade 1 acadamy but anyone who has followed Brighton for the longer period will remember the stench at the back of the north stand where you sometimes had to jump over puddles of piss to get served a cardboard burger. They will remember the 75 mile trip to priestfield to hopefully get enough points to keep us in the league. They will remember sitting in the rain, even in hailstones to watch a 3rd rate team in a 3rd rate athletics stadium, where if the game was that crap you could always watch the ladies doing their exercises at the gym, or was that just me :lol:

So yes we now have our shiny emporium, the future looks safe and the dream of being able to call ourselves a championship team has been realised, but with the high prices comes high expectations, and rightly so, Bloom, Barber and all sold a lot of season tickets on the promise of a 5 year plan to get to the premier league.

If they want to keep people returning then they have to deliver on the pitch. They chose to play the corporate game, it wasn't the fans. If you raise peoples expectations them you have to expect some flack when things are not looking so rosy.

The team in my opinion is woefully short of the one that finished last season, and that wasn't as good as the team from the year before. How many backward steps should we take before people are allowed to say, you want me to pay £30 for that!

People have paid a lot of money up front with season tickets, in good faith. They have the right to complain if they don't think the product is up to standard. Again in my opinion, it is nowhere near up to standard.

They created a monster. Now they have to feed it.
Eloquently put and what I've been stumbling to say on about twenty different threads over the last week or so. One sentence sums it up: 'high prices, high expectations'. There's more to being 'Premier League ready' than charging booking fees on top of already-high ticket prices and making sure that the Harveys is the most expensive in Europe. Rightly or wrongly people's expectations have been raised, and saying "but we used to be a third division team! is no more relevant than me saying "but I used to be a three year old!" (Although some people would say I post like one!) Times have changed, the world's moved on - and so have the club.

Still think we're in a good place though, even IF (capital letters) we do have to take a bit of a backward step this season.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'll get very positive when we sign a decent striker.

This really - when we sign someone as good as Ulloa to replace him. The question is will we? Top-class forwards are few and far between, and we've just sold one. Even in the first half of the 2012-13 season, when we had a much stronger overall squad, we struggled to win games we dominated because we lacked a decent forward. It all changed when we bought Leo. We need to do the same again now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am honestly developing a strong dislike for a large number of albion fans at the moment. The petulant, deluded behaviour of some of the more vocal negative contingent beggars belief, I think it's a disgrace to be honest. I genuinely believe the worst thing that could happen would be for us to turn it around and go up. Imagine what NSC, twitter, Facebook etc would be like if we were getting battered week in week out by the premier league big boys. That's before we even got to the stadium and the boos started ringing around three games into the season.

The worst thing is, for some ludicrous reason, if you're not whinging and bitching like a toddler, you're branded a "licker" and the great dickhead go-to phrase of "blue & white specs" is rolled out. At which point someone the other dickhead go-to phrase, bed wetter, comes out in response and everyone starts calling each other names.

Ten years ago, the idea of championship mid-table mediocrity being a disaster was frankly a joke. Season to season we barely had a club. SO WHAT if we don't go up. If premiership football is all you care about it says more about you than it does the club. I'm going to Cheltenham tonight because I like watching brighton play, win or lose. Where are the 20,000 others who claim superfan status? It's pathetic.

"Petulant, deluded behaviour.....whinging and bitching like a toddler." Strange - what I've been reading on here in recent weeks is a number of educated, erudite and well argued posts expressing concern that all does not seem to be well on the playing side. To be concerned that over the past fifteen months or so, the squad has become weaker as our better players leave, without being replaced by players as good or better than them seems reasonable to me - as does being concerned that some of the players who once excited us now seem to have lost their mojo a bit. To express that view hardly comes under the banner of "whinging and bitching like a toddler", does it?

The concern doesn't just stem from one bad result, as so many 'lickers' (I'm using that term ironically - it's not one that I would normally use; it's as pathetic and juvenile as people calling those of us with concerns 'bedwetters') seem to imply - these concerns were being voiced well before the season started.

Yes, I know the squad we have now is miles better than the one we had twenty years ago, but that was then, this is now. Back then, we were more concerned about whether or not the club would survive (had chat rooms been around then, doubtless there would have been some who called those who were concerned about what was happening to the club 'bed-wetters' too, if they didn't support the club line!)

I too, like you, hope that SH will get this group of players playing out of their skins, and that the 3B's will pull a rabbit or three out of the hat by the end of the month that will leave us all gob-smacked, as you 'lickers' (sorry!) want us all to blindly believe will happen. But there is also a phrase, 'Let the dog smell the rabbit' - well, a whiff would be good!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'm still positive.

Things that would add to the positivity are:

Harvey's drops back to £3.60
We sign an out and out striker and an attacking midfielder
We sign all of the players (The Three) mentioned
Katy Perry comes round for tea

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here