Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What will be the fate of the relegated clubs?

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Eddie to Leeds, should Bielsa decide to bugger off?

Edit: although that would likely be unpopular with the fans of the champions of Europe, as they'll have their sights on someone like Pep, Louw or Klinsmann

Surely Klippity Klopp would want to go there.......

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think that the opposite of this may be true. I think this was the 'best' season to be relegated. However hard the lockdown has been for PL clubs, its been harder still for Championship clubs - many will really struggle, especially if its a few more months before fans are back in the grounds. No real quality left in the league.

Yeah I agree with that, my comparison was more to do with transfer fees I suppose.

Normally a relegated club can sell a couple for decent fees and with the parachute payments they can go again in the champ.

IF the predicted depression happens in the transfer market then Bournemouth could be forced to sell far more players than the norm for lower fees to cover the losses. Already talk of Wilson being picked off for just £10m because he is on £110k a week and Bournemouth have to move him on.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
B'muff are in financial dire straits and will drop another tier either because they have sold *everyone* or go into administration..

I think this is the inevitable conclusion, they have been poorly run financially over stretching themselves while not really building in the background for their long term survival. They could well crash through the divisions and find themselves in a worse place than Notts County and Bolton, possibly another Bury.

Watford will hide their debts overseas, be loaned a squad full and make a reappearance in 3-4 seasons).

That is not a certain is it, if I was unlucky enough to be a Watford fan, I would be panicking right now, they have a very volatile board, that have shown they are willing to stretch if not bend the rules, and nothing puts more pressure on a situation than money, if the board want a fast return in these troubled times, then wooosh fire sale and pull out followed by administration is a strong possibility...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Norwich will almost certainly be back before their parachute payments run out. Can’t decide about Watford. PLB are ****ed.

Norwich have been pretty conservative, have youth coming through and still a decent manager. Can see PLB back if they stick with EH

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Impossible to know at this point. A lot will depend on who PLB can shift or given how willing they have been to er push the boundaries of FFP previously do they keep the squad they have and go shit or bust? Norwich will be there or thereabouts and for Watford see Bournemouth team they have could get promoted if it stays intact.

Or all three have a fire sale and struggle? Watch this space...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Norwich team will be taken apart

Aarons/Godfrey/Lewis/Cantwell all did enough at various points for someone to take a punt on them

Pukki will have interest despite the poor goal returns.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Norwich team will be taken apart

Aarons/Godfrey/Lewis/Cantwell all did enough at various points for someone to take a punt on them

Pukki will have interest despite the poor goal returns.

I'd say 11 PL goals for Pukki is a great return. Sure he was in and out of form but 11 goals in a really poor team is as good as any team near the bottom can hope for.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It’s all down to money. If Watford and Bournemouth’s owners continue the funding they’ll be ok, Norwich have been prudent and should be challenging near the top. The Championship looks very weak. The gulf between the divisions has never looked as big.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
That is not a certain is it, if I was unlucky enough to be a Watford fan, I would be panicking right now, they have a very volatile board, that have shown they are willing to stretch if not bend the rules, and nothing puts more pressure on a situation than money, if the board want a fast return in these troubled times, then wooosh fire sale and pull out followed by administration is a strong possibility...

I have no particular insight but it has always seemed to me that the lines between the clubs they own are so blurred that none of the individual clubs can go bust unless they all go bust because the whole sorry mess unravels. This may be a byproduct or a goal in itself but I think Watford may shrink but it is still a cog in the works and so has to continue to exist and will be funded to ensure that. May not be PL again anytime soon but will survive.

Last edited:

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Watford will be fine, a basket case as always but fine.

Part of me thinks that this may not have been Norwich's plan, but certainly something they had planned for, so again, will be fine.

Bournemouth on the other hand I worry about; mass exodus of players, Smug Eddie not committing his future at the club and as they like to throw it in our faces with the "Infrastructure FC" tag by one of their fans, they haven't got the things behind the scenes to support them in the long term. You've seen how much Sunderland have struggled and they can pull in far bigger crowds than PLB could, if they don't bounce straight back up I fear it could be a hell of a long time before they dine at the top table again.

Worry? Fear? Who cares. I don't. They have had their time and will struggle in the Championship as their best talent will be off. They don't have the stadium or the fan base to support them as a top championship club.

el punal

Shamelessly stolen from Twitter:-

Bournemouth relegated means Brighton are - as of right now - the only side in history to be promoted to the Premier League and not be relegated from it.

None of them back anytime soon.

Bournemouth could well be playing Pompey the season after next.

A friend of mine suggested, a couple weeks ago, that if Plucky were relegated they would go down again into League One - as you’ve intimated. Without the TV revenue, with players being shipped out because of their exorbitant wages, with incredibly small attendances income that won’t pay the tea lady I think they’ll be stuffed. Add to that Smug Eddie making an exit and it all ends up as one big OUCH!

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Shamelessly stolen from Twitter:-

Bournemouth relegated means Brighton are - as of right now - the only side in history to be promoted to the Premier League and not be relegated from it.

None of them back anytime soon.

Bournemouth could well be playing Pompey the season after next.

You've stolen one of my QUIZ QUESTIONS

Hold on, what about Villa ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s all down to money. If Watford and Bournemouth’s owners continue the funding they’ll be ok, Norwich have been prudent and should be challenging near the top. The Championship looks very weak. The gulf between the divisions has never looked as big.

Same thoughts as you.

I don't see any of these doing a Sunderland or Boro.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
I think Norwich will fair best.
They would've known their fate months back so have had more time to prepare.
I think they will be favourites for promotion.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

It isnt as easy as you think with the FFP restrictions. If Stoke cant get back up quickly with all their money from Bet365 owners then it isnt going to be that simple for anyone going down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here