Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was the first record you bought??

The+Cry+of+Love+large.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Yeah Yeah, of course your 1st purchase wasn't something really uncool like the Monkees or Edison Lighthouse, it HAD to be Jimi Hendrix (uhhuh) :p

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Going to a housewarming party in a few weeks time .
Got to go "dressed" as the 1st single you ever bought .
Easy for me as my first one was 'Blue Is The Colour' ( Chelsea - 1970 ) .
There's gonna be an 'Urban Spaceman' there , also a 'Rosetta' and an
'In The Summertime' . I pity a mate who owned up to 'The Pushbike Song' .

Is 'Bob' going?

He'd be lucky to get out alive.....

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
"The Good, The Bad and The Ugly", by Hugo Montengro and His Orchestra.
The "B" side was, "There's Got To Be a Better Way", if I remember correctly.
I played it to death on my dad's radiogram!
F*** me I'm old!!

You should have seen the Spaghetti Western orchestra cover this last week.

There's some good stuff on them on Youtube but one of their players on the double-bass seems to have alarmingly shrunk recently.

I think there was a sub job up at the Edinburgh Festival.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Twist and Shout. The Beatles.

Yeah Yeah, of course your 1st purchase wasn't something really uncool like the Monkees or Edison Lighthouse, it HAD to be Jimi Hendrix (uhhuh) :p

It took an awful lot to reach into my paper round savings and actually shell out on a full-priced 12" album - no way was it going to be wasted on any bubblegum shite (even though I quite liked Edison's 'Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes' as a tune, a year or two earlier).
I'd read the shining review in 'Disc', and was already astounded by 'Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)' when I bought a copy of that EP off a schoolmate - so the time and outlook was right to take the serious plunge and get the LP from Redifusion in Southwick Sq.

Still one of my favourite albums - it's all brilliant, and of all his earliest recorded works it's barely ever mentioned.

[yt]yMIIBOaHfD0[/yt]

[yt]3BpLFeG3Jos[/yt]

I had to get the eventual 'follow-up', which was the somewhat disjointed 'Rainbow Bridge' LP. That had some great moments too though, with a tasty instrumental 'Pali Gap' and the great live 'Hear My Train a Comin' '.
This memorable mindblower is on there, and deserves a mention imo.
Turn the sound up, and love this cool use of stereo!;

[yt]n5bjb0gsqhY[/yt]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
images

Although, as a 10 year old a lot of the credit for such a cool selection had to go to my 14 year old sister who persuaded me to part with my hard earned pocket money.

Okay okay... I admit to this as my first full-price 45 - and I was told by the 'in with the cool people' chick who sat next to me in English, how it was the "wrong music to like" because it was 'black music'.
Check out the brilliant TOTP kitchyness - and the rocking closing track from Brighton band 'East Of Eden';

[yt]7hw01eOeOyk[/yt]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
- and the rocking closing track from Brighton band 'East Of Eden';

[yt]7hw01eOeOyk[/yt]

I useed to like East of Eden, but haven't heard them mentioned for years - never knew they were a Brighton band. Wasn't it their violinist playing on Who's Next?

My first record - Juliet, by The Four Pennies.....hmmm...well, I was only young!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here