Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was the first record you bought??

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
"The Good, The Bad and The Ugly", by Hugo Montengro and His Orchestra.
The "B" side was, "There's Got To Be a Better Way", if I remember correctly.
I played it to death on my dad's radiogram!
F*** me I'm old!!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Geordie - Electric Lady.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Crazy Horses by The Osmonds

Choon!!!!!

Mine was Too Big by Suzi Quatro.

I bought it from Woolies on a Saturday, took it home, carefully put it on my dad's radiogram and played it right through thinking "this doesn't sound like the one on the radio", before I realised that I hadn't switched it to 45 rpm from 33 1/3.

The above will mean NOTHING to younger viewers.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
red-hot-chili-peppers-mothers-milks.jpg

and on the same day with my Birthday money I believe

FNM%20-%20Introduce.jpg

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As a 15 year old I had quite liked Yessongs by Yes so my first purchase (unheard) was their 1 song per side double album Tales From Topographic Oceans which has been cited by many as:

1/ Unlistenable
2/ The beginning of the end for Prog Rock
3/ Very unlikely to impress young ladies if you took it round to play to them while, er, attempting to play with them :blush:

So a memorable choice for all sorts of wrong reasons - it was on a casette as well and seeing it was a double album chewed itself up on a regular basis - the resulting remixes were possibly an improvement....

I think my next purchase was Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin II so at least I learnt my Prog Lesson early :lolol:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
John Travolta and Oliver Newton-John - "You're The One That I Want".

99p of a £1 birthday voucher well spent.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ist album: Songs for Swinging Lovers Frank Sinatra (1956)

Love that album, and still play it regularly (although I didn't buy it until the 80's I hasten to add!!). Sinatra and Nelson Riddle were a great combination

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Love that album, and still play it regularly (although I didn't buy it until the 80's I hasten to add!!). Sinatra and Nelson Riddle were a great combination

Agree with that. Was there anyone better at arranging than Nelson Riddle? Was at the Andy Williams Albert Hall Concert last week. He was excellent BTW but he also had a great backing band which was mainly comprised of British session musicians. They were simply awesome and AW sang the Nelson Riddle arrangement of "I got a kick out of you". Tremendous stuff.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Album: 'Out of the Blue' by ELO from Woolies in Blatchington Road

Single: twas either 'Union Man' by the Strawbs or 'Space Oddity' by David Bowie, from Woolies in Shoreham but can't remember which came first. Or it could even have been 'Toast' by Streetband. It all seems so long ago.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Me thinks some people are taking this to mean "What was the first record you bought that you'll admit to?"

My VERY first record Heart of Stone by Kenny ... yes I know but at least I'm honest!

very honest of you. I'll admit to Silver Lady by David Soul :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here