Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What WAS Roberto thinking?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
That, and Emery is an excellent manager, Villa are an excellent team and the way we play, we're gonna get a kicking from time to time. Least it's not boring.
Emery changes what he needs to to get a result. RDZ plays his way even when it’s clear his way will lose the tactical battle. It’s something he needs to change to take the next step.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Sure . Block our stars’ big moves and the next generation aren’t coming.
Overall we have papered over the cracks very well this season.
Today was one where we badly missed Mac and Caicedo. And Colwill, to an extent.
They would have disrupted villa. We played the game on villa’s terms.
Villa did the double over us last season didn't they? They just match up well against us, although our team fielded today was clearly weaker than last season.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If you play a wide game then you’re going to get overrun in the middle. I hate leaving all the defending to two centre backs Who are already overworked with Zerbiball. We are always one to one at the back and frequently mark space - we can’t afford to do that. I think a few games like this might bring everyone down to earth a bit. We are good but really aren’t as good as many would like to believe.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
So, long season, don't really expect or need a result at Villa, so rest, rotate and give minutes to youngsters. Losing 6-1 probably wasnt part off the plan though.
I'm not sure I agree with this. Villa are one of our more direct rivals, likely to be battling for the lower European spots.

To lose, isn't the end of the world, neither is to lose 6-1, but this is one game where a result would have been looked for.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Their tactical style works against ours. There’s a blue print there now for the teams that are willing to be pragmatic. We need to learn when to mix it up.
We concede first we tend to lose. B'muff as an exception of course.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I don’t buy RDZ’s post match comments about “not being used to playing so many games”. Who exactly has played too many games, he keeps rotating them? Haven’t heard the interview but if he did say that it’s bollocks. It could work in the long term but at the moment the wheels are coming off with the rotation, don’t blame the amount of games players have played. It’s not true.
I think RDZ said himself that Villa played almost the same starting 11 that played midweek... no? I thought " this is a strange defence, Roberto"!!
Surely keeping a fairly stable team,2 games per week, less training, would work better 😬

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm not sure I agree with this. Villa are one of our more direct rivals, likely to be battling for the lower European spots.

To lose, isn't the end of the world, neither is to lose 6-1, but this is one game where a result would have been looked for.
Well, i kinda hope I'm right because the alternative is that RDZ thought this was the best team and formation to beat Villa

What I saw today was awful errors by Mitoma, Veltman and Estupian put us out of the game while Webster was running around like a grandad giving us no hope to put in last ditch saves. What that has to do with the middle two I’m not sure, I’m not really convinced Mac and Caicedo playing today could have made any difference to that.

Sometimes you just have bad days where lots of things go wrong at the same time. It was one of those days - you move on quickly and expect higher standards from our players with good records

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
We concede first we tend to lose. B'muff as an exception of course.
It’s the style of team that is beating us that’s the issue. Teams that sit deep, hit on the counter and play narrow predominantly. There’s nothing wrong with being a bit more pragmatic against sides that you know will do this.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
I don’t buy RDZ’s post match comments about “not being used to playing so many games”. Who exactly has played too many games, he keeps rotating them? Haven’t heard the interview but if he did say that it’s bollocks. It could work in the long term but at the moment the wheels are coming off with the rotation, don’t blame the amount of games players have played. It’s not true.
This excuse pees me off. We have played a grand total of ONE game more than the rest of the league. How at this point are we not used to playing so many games? I could understand if we were half way through the season.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Their tactical style works against ours. There’s a blue print there now for the teams that are willing to be pragmatic. We need to learn when to mix it up.
That Blueprint to stop us has been there for a while. It’s (usually) easier said than done

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Well, i kinda hope I'm right because the alternative is that RDZ thought this was the best team and formation to beat Villa
Well, De Zerbi has put out what appear to be unusual team before and it has worked, so I don't think that was the issue.

I wonder if De Zerbi will change tactics slightly things for the next game though...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
According to the headline on the Albion website:

"De Zerbi: You will see a different Albion against Marseille"​

Too bloody right we will. We see a different Albion every f***in' match! Four out of nine haven't worked!
Five out of seven wins in the EPL.

Tough crowd.

But, yes, you're right. We are shit and don't deserve anything. For every five wins there is a load of old bollocks. And me? Sussex B&B? I expect shit and I'm not happy till I get it. Then I will moan.

Strap yourself in and enjoy the ride. It has never been better than this. And sometimes we will f*** up. It is what it is. How did Citeh, the best team in the history of football, do today? ???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
According to the headline on the Albion website:

"De Zerbi: You will see a different Albion against Marseille"​

Too bloody right we will. We see a different Albion every f***in' match! Four out of nine haven't worked!
Thanks, first laugh I’ve had since we kicked off today :lolol:

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Maybe he was thinking “shit, these are the only fit midfielders we have.”

That’s what I’d have been thinking
If the internationals are on the bench, then they must be fit, thought it odd that he threw Hinshelwood straight in at the deep end ?

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
Here's my postcard:

RDZ is playing the long game. Its a long season and players will get tired. So rotating, resting, giving minutes to young players and trying out different things is more important than the result.

Villa away is easily one of our four or five hardest fixtures of the season. Losing it doesn't matter that much in the great scheme of things.

We also forget how much of a development squad we are. Ferguson, Bart, Gilmour, Facu, Adingra, JP, Hinsh, Joao Pedro, Baleba are all youngsters. Lamptey, Fati, Dahoud haven't played that much of late. They need minutes and they need to be given time.

So, long season, don't really expect or need a result at Villa, so rest, rotate and give minutes to youngsters. Losing 6-1 probably wasnt part off the plan though.
Meanwhile we slip down the table,morale drops and we start losing regularly.Which can easily happen
Onwards to Marseille 🙏🏻

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here