Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What WAS Roberto thinking?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Answers on a postcard please.

Playing Gilmour and Hinselwood in midfield against Luiz, McGinn and Ramsay has potential to be one of the most mind boggling tactical decisions I’ve ever seen at the Albion, even Mac and Caicedo struggled to contain the Villa midfield last season.

Today really highlighted our lack of proper match ready replacement for those two key players we lost, which has finally come back to haunt us. Oh and just how vital Gross is to this team.

Maybe reading too much into it but RDZ can’t be happy with the midfield we’ve been left with surely? To sell £150m of world class midfielders and not replace them is rather questionable to say the least.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Playing Gilmour and Hinselwood in midfield against Luiz, McGinn and Ramsay has potential to be one of the most mind boggling tactical decisions I’ve ever seen at the Albion, even Mac and Caicedo struggled to contain the Villa midfield last season.

Today really highlighted our lack of proper match ready replacement for those two key players we lost, which has finally come back to haunt us. Oh and just how vital Gross is to this team.

Maybe reading too much into it but RDZ can’t be happy with the midfield we’ve been left with surely? To sell £150m of world class midfielders and not replace them is rather questionable to say the least.
Maybe he was thinking “shit, these are the only fit midfielders we have.”

That’s what I’d have been thinking

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Oh and just how vital Gross is to this team

To be controversial (and I love Gross) but I don’t think even if he were fit and played, that the result would have been much different. He isn’t an especially strong DM himself, and has looked overrun in games before himself. It may have been the difference in a few goals tbf, but I think it would be the same result.

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022

Absolutely

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Nah Baleba was ok to play. Ok he's raw but at least he's strong. Absolutely mental decision.
No I meant in the squad.

We’ve won four games this season without Baleba. Dahoud doesn’t look good enough either.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Maybe he was thinking “shit, these are the only fit midfielders we have.”

That’s what I’d have been thinking
We’ve gone into a European season with a midfield significantly weaker than last season.

Our recognised CM’s are:
Gross
Gilmour
Baleba - not ready
Dahoud - not convinced by him.

We knew we had games every 3 days and one injury means we are playing an inexperienced young lad in midfield.

I don’t want to be reactionary because we’ve had a fantastic start to the season but today does really highlight just what a massive loss those two were, especially without proper match ready replacements.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
We’ve gone into a European season with a midfield significantly weaker than last season.

Our recognised CM’s are:
Gross
Gilmour
Baleba - not ready
Dahoud - not convinced by him.

We knew we had games every 3 days and one injury means we are playing an inexperienced young lad in midfield.

I don’t want to be reactionary because we’ve had a fantastic start to the season but today does really highlight just what a massive loss those two were, especially without proper match ready replacements.
100%. Selling Caicedo looks stupider every day.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
We lost that game out wide, not in the central positions. He probably didn't expect Veltman and Estupinan to defend like idiots and get no hope from the wingers or centre backs
If you have capable midfielders pressing the pass it’s a lot more difficult to find the wingers though isn’t it?

Obviously the whole team played shite, but when I saw the starting line up my first thought was our midfield could get bullied, and I’m surprised RDZ did not think similar given how strong the Villa midfield is (they have Tielemans on the bench FFS)

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
If you have capable midfielders pressing the pass it’s a lot more difficult to find the wingers though isn’t it?

Obviously the whole team played shite, but when I saw the starting line up my first thought was our midfield could get bullied, and I’m surprised RDZ did not think similar given how strong the Villa midfield is (they have Tielemans on the bench FFS)
So our best defensive midfielder players and our best pressing player (Gross) was out injured.

Our widemen and centre backs more of an issue than centre mid today

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022

Every pass the midfielders played forward ended up with the forwards losing the ball and not holding it up though. They needed an outlet to play the ball but weren’t getting any.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
I thought Lallana should be available for midfield. Guess not. In a negative light, one could say having both lallana and milner out of fitness/injured throughout most of the season is a waste of 2 squad positions that we could utilize for 3 games a week. and now with enciso out and welbeck bound to be off long term at some point. our squad isn't that great for depth.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
So our best defensive midfielder players and our best pressing player (Gross) was out injured.

Our widemen and centre backs more of an issue than centre mid today
It was like watching a flyweight boxer against Mike Tyson in midfield.

Going with a 2 man midfield, one of whom is a young lad making his debut, away to one of the best teams/midfields in the league was utterly bonkers.

There were big issues in other areas but from the start this set us out with a big disadvantage.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don’t buy RDZ’s post match comments about “not being used to playing so many games”. Who exactly has played too many games, he keeps rotating them? Haven’t heard the interview but if he did say that it’s bollocks. It could work in the long term but at the moment the wheels are coming off with the rotation, don’t blame the amount of games players have played. It’s not true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here