Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was on BBCTV the day you were born?

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
January 1959 'Mainly for Women' with advice on family caravan holidays and how to make the perfect pear tart. The evening line up of a quiz show, boxing and a Canadian wartime drama look better than BBC1 most days this week.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Doctor Who: Genesis of the Daleks, Grandstand and Match of the Day.

How cool is that! :cool:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Play School with Rolf Harris reading the story. I kid you not!

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Feck me:-

13.05: CRYSTAL PALACE, SUTTON COLDFIELO HOI.ME MOSS HEDDIW

gydag Owen Edwards
Topical items introduced by Owen Edwards in Welsh
Contributors
Unknown: Owen Edwards
Introduced By: Owen Edwards

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Being born early July, its always bloody Wimbledon on TV. As a kid I used to hate the fact it was always Tennis on TV on my birthday. Don't like it much now either.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Back to square one Mr Cholmondley-Warner.

14.55 : ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL
from Germany
Via Eurovision, direct from the Volkspark Stadium, Hamburg, comes full coverage of the clash of the International giants BRAZIL
World Champions 1958 and 1962 e.
GERMANY
World Champions 1954
Can the Brazilians-the monarchs of international football — maintain their soccer supremacy in this testing international duel?
Can the Germans, in front of a fiercely partisan home crowd, reestablish themselves as a leading footballing power? Commentator,
Kenneth Wolstenholme Presented by the German Television Service
Contributors

Unknown: Kenneth Wolstenholme

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Feck me:-

13.05: CRYSTAL PALACE, SUTTON COLDFIELO HOI.ME MOSS HEDDIW

gydag Owen Edwards
Topical items introduced by Owen Edwards in Welsh
Contributors
Unknown: Owen Edwards
Introduced By: Owen Edwards

Unless repeated, that means you and I were born on the same day! Were you born on a Tuesday and will you be 50 in just under 4 months time?

Edit: Just realised it could had have been a series, so no, probably not born the same day :facepalm:

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Lunchtime 7/3/59 just before Grandstand - anyone know who the Albion were playing that day or a website that may know?

Northstandchat gives you the answer (if the Ebay item is correct)
http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ALBION-V-SCUNTHORPE-UNITED-SAT-7th-MARCH-1959

When searching for the tv programmes, the Radio Times dating is for a week. Open up the Radio Times just before your date of birth.

It was England v Australia cricket and the Olympics the day I was born. My Dad was annoyed that my birth at 3.30pm interrupted his cricket.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Sooty - with Harry Corbett and sweep
Football - world cup qualifier Czechoslovakia v Eire
Film Matinee - High Noon (Gary Cooper)
Billy Smart's Circus
What's My Line - Eamonn Andrews
Face to Face - John Freeman talks to Dr. Martin Luther King
Minister of the Ebenezer Baptist Church, Atlanta

Not a bad line up for my 1st day !

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Unless repeated, that means you and I were born on the same day! Were you born on a Tuesday and will you be 50 in just under 4 months time?

Edit: Just realised it could had have been a series, so no, probably not born the same day :facepalm:

I am 50 next month pasty :-0

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
20.10 : Panorama
The Price of Peace
Along with everything else, the price of peace is soaring. Despite controversial cutbacks the British defence project still adds up to a staggering £4½thousand million. But according to a special internal inquiry almost exactly that amount is being wasted each year by Britain and her allies in NATO through duplication and non-standardisation of weapons systems. A high price to pay in peacetime and possibly the ultimate price to pay in war.
Tonight in a special report Robert MacNeil examines NATO, the last of the big spenders, and the allies who ' compete more amongst each other than against the enemy.' Presented by David Dimblcby
Producer DAVID GERRARD Editor FRANKSMITH
Contributors
Unknown: Robert MacNeil
Presented By: David Dimblcby
Producer: David Gerrard

This was 1975, when a billion really was a big number :thumbsup:

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Mine - "International Golf - The John Player Classic 1973 played over the Ailsa Course"

Golf .... on BBC1 .... on a Wednesday afternoon. Remember what life was like before Sky?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here