Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What was Attendance

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think, as fans, we tend to under-estimate the number of empty seats when assessing the crowd.

And because I think this, I tend to adjust down from what I'd guess at. So I'm saying 22-23k.

In fact, reflecting on this again, I reckon I'm possibly still over-estimating there.

20k, for example, would mean approximately 1 seat in 3 across the stadium was empty, and I could well believe that was the case.

I'm certainly highly confident that it was a lot more than the 1-in-6 empty that 25k bums-on-seats would represent.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Certainly case with my neighbour who told me today he didnt go. He has a card , Doesnt miss many games and said shame couldnt give his ticket to someone

Likewise for the odd game I’ll miss, my seat will remain empty.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
In fact, reflecting on this again, I reckon I'm possibly still over-estimating there.

20k, for example, would mean approximately 1 seat in 3 across the stadium was empty, and I could well believe that was the case.

I'm certainly highly confident that it was a lot more than the 1-in-6 empty that 25k bums-on-seats would represent.

No way Jose.

North stand looked very full.....West Stand....pretty much like a sell out game
East Stand looked thinner than usual, yes a lot of empty seats.
Away end looked 95% full

So a quick *Gullsworth* calculus gives you

24,391 exactly.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

No chance only 20k. Perhaps 1 in 3 in the east stand but not north and west

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If you embarrassed about what people you will never meet watching a game on TV think about other people you don't know choosing not to attend a football game in the middle of a pandemic and school holidays, you might want to re-evaluate your priorities in life.

Alright, alright, put yer cock away, it's Sunday morning.
I mentioned Covid, I still avoid crowds.
So there are only school holidays in Sussex then?
Ok, so maybe not embarrassing but you can bet that many others watching MOTD wondered why only The Amex had so many empty seats, after all many Brighton fans down the years never stop croaking on about what great support we have, pre covid, The Amex was sometimes 3/4 full and like a morgue.
And I really do not need to re-evaluate my life thank you, if people feel that they are embarrassed by something to which you are not, then they don't need telling they are wrong by a grumpy old man after a magnificent win and 6 points.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Looked awful on MOTD. Lots of empty seats, very noticeable when compared to other grounds. Maybe it was just the angle but the East stand near the away end had loads of free seats.

Yes ticket sharing is an issue but we've still got STs available and didn't sell all the game day tickets.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
100% reason 2 :)

Seriously, I think many would have stayed away because of reason 1, and fair enough.
Reason 3 - I think anyone that’s been watching the Albion for many years will know that since we have been at the Amex and more so in the PL that many coming to games are not die hard Albion fans.
I’m sure some would have stayed home or gone to the pub and watched on TV.

A friend once told me that embarrassing is going on the piss all day and then shitting yourself on the bus coming home……this friend definitely wasn’t me.

Don’t think that’s embarrassing - the amount of times my mates have done this sort of thing… it’s just normal.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Looked awful on MOTD. Lots of empty seats, very noticeable when compared to other grounds. Maybe it was just the angle but the East stand near the away end had loads of free seats.

Yes ticket sharing is an issue but we've still got STs available and didn't sell all the game day tickets.

Today isn't a day for moaning but, from TV point of view, the Amex should have had TV Gantry in the East Stand and away supporters in South-East corner.

Anyway, now for Everton

:goal:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No way Jose.

Away end looked 95% full

24,391 exactly.

No chance only 20k. Perhaps 1 in 3 in the east stand but not north and west

Firstly, I'm not saying that it was 20k, but that I could be convinced that 1-in-3 seats was empty.

And, in fact, I've just downloaded this fantastic photo and zoomed in and panned round a bit. There are lots of areas of the stadium that could "lend" an empty seat to other parts of the stadium to spread those 1-in-3 empty round the stadium.

[tweet]1429173348089671688[/tweet]

I can't win this argument because although I could almost certainly find out the precise number, I wouldn't be allowed to share it. But, based on the photo in the tweet above, I'm be willing to bet a lot of money that the bums-on-seats number was well below 25k.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Pretty sure you can settle the debate through a FOI request to the council. They do hold official figures (and the one submitted has to be actual bums on seats).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Certainly case with my neighbour who told me today he didnt go. He has a card , Doesnt miss many games and said shame couldnt give his ticket to someone

Likewise for the odd game I’ll miss, my seat will remain empty.

Was so obvious - you’d think the club would rather have actual people there spending money eh! Time for the club to hold their hands up and scrap that silly scheme - make it free to pass ticket on with a name.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
100% reason 2 :)

Seriously, I think many would have stayed away because of reason 1, and fair enough.
Reason 3 - I think anyone that’s been watching the Albion for many years will know that since we have been at the Amex and more so in the PL that many coming to games are not die hard Albion fans.
I’m sure some would have stayed home or gone to the pub and watched on TV.

A friend once told me that embarrassing is going on the piss all day and then shitting yourself on the bus coming home……this friend definitely wasn’t me.

Correct!
I'll tell you what though, I would rather be in a 3/4 full Amex because of Covid and still watch a live game, than being squeezed into Bellend Road with all those pissed up, cocky Leeds fans.
Christ's chin, I watch that last night and could not think of anywhere else I would rather not be, talk about look at us first season (delayed) over the top celebrating.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Firstly, I'm not saying that it was 20k, but that I could be convinced that 1-in-3 seats was empty.

And, in fact, I've just downloaded this fantastic photo and zoomed in and panned round a bit. There are lots of areas of the stadium that could "lend" an empty seat to other parts of the stadium to spread those 1-in-3 empty round the stadium.

[tweet]1429173348089671688[/tweet]

I can't win this argument because although I could almost certainly find out the precise number, I wouldn't be allowed to share it. But, based on the photo in the tweet above, I'm be willing to bet a lot of money that the bums-on-seats number was well below 25k.

See above post. It is available via an FOIR.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Pretty sure you can settle the debate through a FOI request to the council. They do hold official figures (and the one submitted has to be actual bums on seats).

The last time I tried, a few years back, it was rejected as the club don't want the details shared for reasons of commercial confidentiality.

Someone did manage to get an FOI on this answered once many years ago (it would take a lot of searching on here to find it now), but all recent requests have been declined as far as I'm aware.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I would say bums on seats about 25,000. As said always loads away in August and perhaps a few waiting to see how things go with covid restrictions. I think there will be a few more there on Saturday.

You would hope so.

3pm Saturday, end of the holidays, two wins in a row, big game against Everton who should fill their end. Compared to middle of school holidays, late kick off, on telly and against Watford who we've played loads at the Amex.

If we're still playing as well and getting the results we deserve by the time the kids go back to school and there are still huge gaps then you can definitely start to question the Covid passport and seat pass on regulations but I'm not convinced that if that exact same game took place in August 2019 we'd have seen many more bums on seats.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Alright, alright, put yer cock away, it's Sunday morning.
I mentioned Covid, I still avoid crowds.
So there are only school holidays in Sussex then?
Ok, so maybe not embarrassing but you can bet that many others watching MOTD wondered why only The Amex had so many empty seats, after all many Brighton fans down the years never stop croaking on about what great support we have, pre covid, The Amex was sometimes 3/4 full and like a morgue.
And I really do not need to re-evaluate my life thank you, if people feel that they are embarrassed by something to which you are not, then they don't need telling they are wrong by a grumpy old man after a magnificent win and 6 points.

To be fair, pre covid the Amex was usually pretty full (at times family area aside) - remember at the end of the day we are a provincial middle of the road sized club.
And atmosphere, or lack of, is a constant issue at pretty much all grounds up and down the country. We've certainly not been unique in that department. Even the so called couldron of noise that is the Kop is often pretty quiet, big game aside. And don't get me started on the likes of Newcastle and Everton, other so called hotbeds of passionate fans. Awful, awful atmosphere at both most of the time considering the size of the clubs.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
No way Jose.

Away end looked 95% full

24,391 exactly.

I was in East Stand and can assure you West was nowhere near full. Min 20% empty seats

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here