Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What unites us is greater than what divides us...

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
You joke but, before re-reading that article today, I had decided I wanted to have a go at some "NSC Social" events.

Frankly, as someone who is quite introverted, the thought semi-terrifies me, but I think they could be good fun, and there are a lot of names I'd like to put faces to. I think it's worth a try anyway - if it doesn't work, then so be it.

It's a good idea. Selfishly Would also be great for being able to get new blood in the F&F list for sharing tickets!

Jul 7, 2003
We should all meet up for a curry night.
Nah - if you look at threads on here we start off with breakfast in somewhere that does a proper 'full English' that nobody can agree on what should be included in. From there we move to a craft beer taproom which serves Piglets Pies (that everyone will say were better in the old days). We finish the evening in an expensive restaurant as recommended in the Restaurant 2023 thread before getting back to the station to find that Southern have failed to provide a service that is tailored to everyone's needs.

That would guarantee a 20 page thread the following morning with someone asking why PBOBE hadn't got things sorted even if he had nothing to do with the evening.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
That's a great article, and I lurked for years before joining because even when I was a non-poster the value from the discussions here was tangible. In a way this forum makes my relationship with the club stronger too, I think because it keeps me connected to it all week and through the off-season, and enhances the sense of community around whatever happens on and off the pitch too. As far as I know I've never met anyone who posts here but there's people I feel like I know and like and I'd miss if they stopped posting.

Genuinely not sure what I'd do without NSC, (except spend far less time on t'internet). Thanks everyone who makes it so good.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I know it's been posted on here before, probably several times in fact, but for some reason my alert for mentions of NSC has just flagged this excellent piece from @chaileyjem as being new, even though it's anything but.

Anyway, most days don't pass without a small group of people on here sniping at one another continually, generally over politics. I don't even open those threads any more - it's frankly depressing. But, anyway, just a reminder that we're all here primarily because of the one thing that unites us, that can deliver despair and ecstasy in equal measure and that enriches all of our lives.

A fantastic post and it’s quite astonishing to think I’ve coded several users on ignore and all of a sudden I don’t get any political posts appearing, it really is as you say just a handful of the same lot, I thoroughly enjoy my time on this board now as a result!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
NSC Meet Up

1686917296334.png

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Agree wholeheartedly I was talking to Mrs Blue3 only the other day and was saying the Albion and by connection NSC have been the only constants in my life

mrs Blue3 is now threatening me with divorce so any advice would be greatly appreciated

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Any problems, reviews, advice NSC is the first port of call, even Mrs Wz asks whether I have asked on NSC before she gets involved. I've had plumbing, financial, building, mortgage, culinary, car and too many others to remember, both advice and services from so many on NSC and always a completely honest, five star service. Had a zoom meeting with a will writer only this morning sourced from NSC.

And bumping into those same people at matches this season has been great with one phrase being repeated again and again. Unf***ingbelieveable :thumbsup:

Jul 7, 2003
Agree wholeheartedly I was talking to Mrs Blue3 only the other day and was saying the Albion and by connection NSC have been the only constants in my life

mrs Blue3 is now threatening me with divorce so any advice would be greatly appreciated
If you have to make a choice, wave Mrs Blue3 goodbye and stick with NSC.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I know it's been posted on here before, probably several times in fact, but for some reason my alert for mentions of NSC has just flagged this excellent piece from @chaileyjem as being new, even though it's anything but.

Anyway, most days don't pass without a small group of people on here sniping at one another continually, generally over politics. I don't even open those threads any more - it's frankly depressing. But, anyway, just a reminder that we're all here primarily because of the one thing that unites us, that can deliver despair and ecstasy in equal measure and that enriches all of our lives.

Well said. This place absolutely feels like home to me, even though I haven’t learnt to stop shouting into the void that is the politics threads.

Even they have got far more civilized and good-natured since there was a purge of those individuals who didn’t argue in good faith.

This is genuinely a lovely place to be, thank you for making it possible.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What's amazing about NSC in 2023 is how little serious aggro there is about the football side of the stuff.
I'm the same now in terms of avoiding the political threads etc but I remember there being really vitriol on football threads in the past- even during the Potter reign, especially when he went on losing steaks, things could get pretty vile.
Sign of the time i guess- other things to get pissed off about perhaps, but it's great that when it comes to the football we are all mostly positive and together.
While that's true, we are not all the same, so please spare a thought for those who let off steam by slagging off the club. This has been a difficult time for them.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
You joke but, before re-reading that article today, I had decided I wanted to have a go at some "NSC Social" events.

Frankly, as someone who is quite introverted, the thought semi-terrifies me, but I think they could be good fun, and there are a lot of names I'd like to put faces to. I think it's worth a try anyway - if it doesn't work, then so be it.
Not a good idea, some one will turn it into a political commented bun fight

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling

As a Footy forum this place has always been pretty good but when it comes to politics its a total embarrassment.

The last purge to create unity and harmony on NSC involved banning and sanctioning people from the mainly pro Tory/Brexit side despite many on both sides being as tiresome and twatty as each other.

Unsurprisingly, the anti tory/brexit numpties have now migrated from the Bear Pit to infest the main board, continuing in the same old way ... quelle surprise.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Weird. I've been thinking about NSC a lot lately, I think we should all be proud of this space. I'm confident it IS one of the very first online football forums, dating back to 1996/7 in its proto stage. If we placed an 'Established' date within the NSC logo, what year would it be?
Weird. I've been thinking about NSC a lot lately, I think we should all be proud of this space. I'm confident it IS one of the very first online football forums, dating back to 1996/7 in its proto stage. If we placed an 'Established' date within the NSC logo, what year would it be?

It's funny you should ask, as I've been doing some research on this very subject.

While most of us think of NSC as dating from around 1996, I have in fact found a lighthearted comment about a football match in the Readers Letters section of a Brighton & Hove-based newspaper dating from the year 1861.

Whilst I appreciate the internet hadn't been invented at that stage, and nor had Brighton & Hove Albion, and there's been a small gap of 135 years between that and NSC reappearing as an entity in its current, identifiable form, there is a clear, traceable line from that letter to the present day, and therefore it's obvious to me that the letter is very obviously the first known post on NSC, and that therefore @Bozza should register "North Stand Chat 1861" as a trademark and market it as the oldest football forum in the world, as well as printing "1861" on all merchandise and online branding.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

The NSC Weakest Link Relay is next Wednesday. We have 2 available @Simgull and @Greg Bobkin if you're the third I'll limp along with my rheumatoid arthritic foot. We'll be honoured. With your runninning prowess you're Leg 4. That's social NSC. See you there!
It's not a race.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Just to reconfirm that I’m actually a 4ft 7” Vietnamese lesbian nicknamed Annie. If I can make it, which will be doubtful, I’ll be at the back of the room in a bright orange dress serving Mai Tais.

:moo:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Just to reconfirm that I’m actually a 4ft 7” Vietnamese lesbian nicknamed Annie. If I can make it, which will be doubtful, I’ll be at the back of the room in a bright orange dress serving Mai Tais.

:moo:
Oh we’ve met before. Didn’t this was you Annie.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
As a Footy forum this place has always been pretty good but when it comes to politics its a total embarrassment.

The last purge to create unity and harmony on NSC involved banning and sanctioning people from the mainly pro Tory/Brexit side despite many on both sides being as tiresome and twatty as each other.

Unsurprisingly, the anti tory/brexit numpties have now migrated from the Bear Pit to infest the main board, continuing in the same old way ... quelle surprise.
Given your user name and avatar is is brilliant you are trying to claim the moral high ground :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here