Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What transfer business do you think needs to be done in January?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
There’s less important moves that can happen regarding the defence/midfield.. but obviously January’s aim is getting that elusive striker. What we want to happen and what can are very different things but I’d like to see Locadia sold, Connolly loaned out, Tolaj or Ferguson given a go in the first team (whoever’s more ready), Welbeck hopefully back to fitness, and a striker bought who’s Prem ready in the same way Cucurella was. & hopefully that means we get more out of Maupay playing with either Welbeck or the new guy.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Has anyone else considered that Graham might actively not want a mega expensive striker to be parachuted into the team despite some fans demands. His whole ethos is about the group, personal development and doing things differently. And I for one would rather finish day 4th doing it this way than spending obscene amounts just buying the best players to win the league. I am inordinately proud of the way our club is doing things.

Not scoring goals and consistently failing to win games that we have totally dominated is certainly "doing things differently".

I would rather go back to doing what other clubs do and score some goals and win a few matches. But then I'm a bit old fashioned like that.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I did think about it, honest. I decided he would be a better fit than Cristiano Ronaldo, and Gary Lineker isn’t as mobile as he used to be.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Not sure we would even consider recalling Mitoma…. Not got a regular place in the USG team yet so not sure why we would be keen to bring him here yet.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not sure we would even consider recalling Mitoma…. Not got a regular place in the USG team yet so not sure why we would be keen to bring him here yet.

Not unless we want Priti Patel to drown him

boik

Not scoring goals and consistently failing to win games that we have totally dominated is certainly "doing things differently".

I would rather go back to doing what other clubs do and score some goals and win a few matches. But then I'm a bit old fashioned like that.

So you can't appreciate us "totally dominating" those matches? We're in the best league in the world, playing great football with almost no drubbings and a decent chance to win most of the games. We're not bankrupting our club buying dubious mercenaries and not selling it off to some unscrupulous billionaire.

I guess the result is everything?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So you can't appreciate us "totally dominating" those matches? We're in the best league in the world, playing great football with almost no drubbings and a decent chance to win most of the games. We're not bankrupting our club buying dubious mercenaries and not selling it off to some unscrupulous billionaire.

I guess the result is everything?

Much better to "pragmatically" lose 5-0 against Bournemouth

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I don’t think we need to panic. If we don’t improve we still won’t go down. It’ll be a disappointment after the start we made but the aim this season still has to be consolidation. If we improve we will comfortably finish mid table. Just don’t see the point in blowing loads of money on a striker in Jan. Wait until summer and get someone in early.
Connolly needs something. Probably a loan. Same for Alzate who is now way down the pecking order. Richards could do with half a season tearing up the champ. Suspect Roberts development is seen as being better served here. Sarmiento needs to feature in the match day squad as much possible.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I was surprised to see how many players have moved in and out in Potter's previous 2 January windows. This is the norm

1. Not buying or selling "name" players - only Mooy in and Murray out come close.
2. Signing good young players (Evan Ferguson, Caicedo, Ifill, Lamptey).
3. Selling / free transfers for players who don't figure (Dreyer, Tilley, Ahannach, Bong, O'Hora, Sanders)
4. Lots of loans out (Baluta, McGill, Balogun, Mlakar, Locadia, Molumby, Gyokeres, Bernardo, Ryan).

Therefore, on that basis I don't see much incoming, and suspect the club will be focused on points 3 and 4, i.e. moving players on, or recalling and re-loaning out. Potter's recent comments after the boo-boys about improving what we've got is a further indication we will not be spending.

To me, it would make sense to move on Locadia, Connolly, Andone, loan out Richards and find a decent loan for Marc Leonard who could be ready to challenge Gross / Lallana if he gets a decent 15-20 games under his belt somewhere. I think a loan deal for Nketiah would be good for us and Arsenal; he's 22, he hasn't figured much this seasons and Arsenal like the younger Martinelli and Balogun more so putting Nketiah in the shiop window makes sense for them. Yes he's reputedly on £50K a week but we have to bring in some cover for Maupay, so I think this deal works for us too.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
For the love of sweet baby jesus don't loan out Sarmiento, this lad is something special.

A fit Welbeck for the rest of the season.

No buying a overpriced striker on deadline day, though I'm not against splashing some cash in January for the right player clubs have a habit of panic buying mediocrity to appease the fans.

Try to find a club that will take Locadia, I'm done hoping he turns it around.

I would like to see how Tolaj or Ferguson react to a spot on the first team bench or perhaps a FA Cup start, it yanks my chain to think they're basically being held up by a non trier.

I think I'm done apart from improving some contracts.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Much better to "pragmatically" lose 5-0 against Bournemouth
Hughton’s squad also did the double over Palace & beat Manure twice two teams Potter struggles with. Probably doesn’t fit the Potter is great agenda though and easier to collectively remember two Hughton defeats to Cardiff & Bournemouth.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don’t think we need to panic. If we don’t improve we still won’t go down. It’ll be a disappointment after the start we made but the aim this season still has to be consolidation. If we improve we will comfortably finish mid table. Just don’t see the point in blowing loads of money on a striker in Jan. Wait until summer and get someone in early.
Connolly needs something. Probably a loan. Same for Alzate who is now way down the pecking order. Richards could do with half a season tearing up the champ. Suspect Roberts development is seen as being better served here. Sarmiento needs to feature in the match day squad as much possible.

I was surprised to see how many players have moved in and out in Potter's previous 2 January windows. This is the norm

1. Not buying or selling "name" players - only Mooy in and Murray out come close.
2. Signing good young players (Evan Ferguson, Caicedo, Ifill, Lamptey).
3. Selling / free transfers for players who don't figure (Dreyer, Tilley, Ahannach, Bong, O'Hora, Sanders)
4. Lots of loans out (Baluta, McGill, Balogun, Mlakar, Locadia, Molumby, Gyokeres, Bernardo, Ryan).

Therefore, on that basis I don't see much incoming, and suspect the club will be focused on points 3 and 4, i.e. moving players on, or recalling and re-loaning out. Potter's recent comments after the boo-boys about improving what we've got is a further indication we will not be spending.

To me, it would make sense to move on Locadia, Connolly, Andone, loan out Richards and find a decent loan for Marc Leonard who could be ready to challenge Gross / Lallana if he gets a decent 15-20 games under his belt somewhere. I think a loan deal for Nketiah would be good for us and Arsenal; he's 22, he hasn't figured much this seasons and Arsenal like the younger Martinelli and Balogun more so putting Nketiah in the shiop window makes sense for them. Yes he's reputedly on £50K a week but we have to bring in some cover for Maupay, so I think this deal works for us too.

Agree with most of these, except I'm not a great fan of half season loans, not for developing players anyway. They're OK for players we're planning on moving along - Balogun, Mlakar, Bernardo, Ryan - and probably Molumby too now - but I think youngsters going out to learn need a full season. I might make an exception for Connolly, even though his previous half season loan was a nonentity - something has to be done about/with him, surely?
The suggestion of putting Nketiah in the shop window for Arsenal is an interesting one. £50K a week I don't think would smash our wage structure, and if we don't have to pay a loan fee (or a very small one at most - we'd also be doing Arsenal a favour after all) that could be a useful move (even though his strike record isn't all that).
Our loanees? - will we try and get a fee for a few of them to make their moves permanent? - Clarke, Molumby, Longman - maybe Cochrane if Hearts can afford him. We probably need to call in Teddy Jenks from Aberdeen unless things suddenly take a turn-round for him up there.
Ultimately though, I'll regard the January window as a success if we do no more than getting someone to take Locadia, and stop any attempt to give Andone back!

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Connolly loan, Tolaj and Ferguson in from the 23s. That'll do us until the Summer where it's a better time to move on a transfer.

May as well just release Jürgen if no takers in Jan

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Probably someone that nobody here has ever heard of, assuming we do anything.

Or more development squad players who will never get near the first team.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Băluţa out.

Locadia out.

Bissouma sold.

Connolly out on loan.

Striker signed.

4 out of the above 5 is my guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here