What tips would you give a 21-year-old you?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
teachers are there to teach academic subjects. They are perfectly entitled to give their take on life without being criticised for it, provided it's legal

I think you are being rather naïve and selective, my friend. Of course teachers are there to teach their subjects - that is not in question - but they are also role models, as you well know, because they deal with young people who have not yet fully matured. You need look no further than the current furore over Ched Evans -is he just a footballer, who can carry on playing regardless. The argument which we hear all the time is that he is a role model, whether he likes it or not.

Your assertion that a teacher is entitled to give his views on life is irrelevant -I have not questioned this. Of course the post should do so, as his view is as important as anyone else's if this is to truly be a forum. What was in question is the exaggerated and unnecessary tone, however satirical or not it may be, given that the post had asked a perfectly sensible question and was thus surely entitled to rather more.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I think you are being rather naïve and selective, my friend. Of course teachers are there to teach their subjects - that is not in question - but they are also role models, as you well know, because they deal with young people who have not yet fully matured. You need look no further than the current furore over Ched Evans -is he just a footballer, who can carry on playing regardless. The argument which we hear all the time is that he is a role model, whether he likes it or not.

Your assertion that a teacher is entitled to give his views on life is irrelevant -I have not questioned this. Of course the post should do so, as his view is as important as anyone else's if this is to truly be a forum. What was in question is the exaggerated and unnecessary tone, however satirical or not it may be, given that the post had asked a perfectly sensible question and was thus surely entitled to rather more.
she/he's 21

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
I wouldn't change what I have done in my first 50 years...we only get one go at it so make it a goodun...for me, from the age of 16 - 40 joined the forces, travelled the world, party'd hard, worked hard. Left the forces and still travelled lots, party's hard and worked hard, funny thing is, the harder I work the luckier I am....lol....at 40, started a family and have settled down (a bit). Definately worked for me leaving it late to have family. Much better prepared for kids mentally and financially. Love my life and would do it all again in a heart beat, especially joining the forces.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Don't be afraid of women who pop a finger up your bum.
Buy in Brighton
Don't spend 8 years in security work
Enjoy yourself more

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
i'm not. But if you are, then sure!
If you meant that men make you unhappy, then perhaps you've not been spending time with the right men.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Try everything once. If you like it... do it again.

"If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try, Try again", is a ridiculous mantra.
Try again once, and if it doesn't work out, move on.

Everything in moderation.
(Even cuddly toys can be dangerous if consumed in sufficient quantities!)

"Experts" generally aren't.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The older i have got the more I know, but that knowledge made me realise I know naff all. When I was younger I though I knew everything but the reality was that I knew less then naff all. Enjoy the feeling that you know everything, because one day the reality will kick in.

Last edited:

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
I would say on reflection.
Shoot anybody you meet who lives East of Seaford.Easy that one! (Just wing them if they are nice.)
Never have an opinion unless it conforms to that of the establishment.
Pretend to be whatever you have to pretend to be so nobody ever uncovers the real you.
Put down people who have different opinions to yours.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I would say on reflection.
Shoot anybody you meet who lives East of Seaford.Easy that one! (Just wing them if they are nice.)
Never have an opinion unless it conforms to that of the establishment.
Pretend to be whatever you have to pretend to be so nobody ever uncovers the real you.
Put down people who have different opinions to yours.

YEs, we know -it's satire, rather like the Arsenal post and yesterday's, but with an (un)healthy dose of immaturity.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Buy your parents council house for them
Try and stay active rather than spending every weekend getting hammered
Try not to spend more than you earn
You will only regret the things you didn't do, not the things you did.
Your closest friends may come and go, but when you need them they will always be there.
Slow down when approaching the Cuilfail Roundabout when it is a bit damp.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports