Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What the f**k is going on at this club??

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Oscar has said he has no immediate plans, so if you accept that as true his resignation is driven by what has happened behind the scenes at the Albion, not what offers may or may not have been made by other clubs.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Something or someone fundamentally flawed at the club. I don't believe in coincidence.

Whatever it is I can't see us going forward until it is remedied. Worried where we are heading

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
We've had two managers with polar opposite personalities, but both have left under the same circumstances for (assumably) the same reasons. Hiring another manager won't work if we don't change what's going on behind the scenes, as they'll run into the same problems as Gus + Oscar.

This is a telling point... An anti advert for managing/coaching this team.
I'm honestly gutted we've lost him.
Are we doomed to get a 'meh' manager now??
Critical days ahead
UTA whatever happens next

Very disappointing only a year in. Seems someone needs to explaining what the **** is going on. Too much has been spent to get someone tinpot in to manage us. Premier league costs and so we know what needs to happen; but do the board cos its to late to turn back now!

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
Worried that maybe we are about to sell Ulloa, PIG is off and maybe others? And with the budget being small for next season, maybe he feels that if that is as close we can get with them, what are we going to be able to achieve without them, but with a small budget to replace them?

Worried that maybe we are about to sell Ulloa, PIG is off and maybe others? And with the budget being small for next season, maybe he feels that if that is as close we can get with them, what are we going to be able to achieve without them, but with a small budget to replace them?

Sorry bud didnt mean to give u thumbs down..just got shit phone!!!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Looks to me like it is a combination of expectations (of the Board) being too high for the money available to build a squad, when up against teams who are spending far more. Albeit they are flouting FFP, but all the time they are, it looks like Oscar feels we cannot move forward.

If he felt things were heading in an upward direction, why would he look to break his contract.

Very much the conclusion Gus reached. The difference is that Oscar has been prepared to walk, and kept his opinions to himself far more. But it looks to me, like two managers running feel they can't take us any further forward.

We have to hope and pray that the authorities are able to deliver the proper punishments for FFP.

Sorry - but I think it's pretty clear that it has nothing to do with the 'expectations of the board' as I think everyone involved understands we've done well considering we had a difficult season for all the reasons we've all debated for the last 12 months.

I think it has everything to do with the lack of additional finance, with the selling of Bridcutt and Barnes and the quality of some of the loanees - I mean Lita, Obika and Rodriguez were all foisted on him FFS! And what on earth has happened to Agustein?! Failing to sign Conway or Grabban have proved to be short-sighted in the extreme - another half-a-dozen or so goals would have made a helluva difference to our season.

Bloom may well want to build on the youth but those kids coming through need to step up to the plate pronto and JFC and (I'm afraid to say) Dunk are unlikely to cut it at a higher level - and you can't build a successful team with players on loan either!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
"This" to the thread title.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It was reported a year ago that we were looking at Tim Sherwood as a possible replacement for Gus. Spurs were keen to hang on to him, Blackburn had approached them to take him on as their manager. Significantly, there is a Brighton connection with Chris Ramsey as Sherwood's assistant coach.

One year on and Sherwood has Prem management experience, he's done OK and is about to get the boot from Spurs. The club have accepted Garcia's resignation without making any comment of their own and you get the feeling there could be a swift appointment. Now Sherwood could be a good appointment, but if there is a toxic problem with money and recruitment and it causes Sherwood to spit the dummy he will lay it all out there, warts and all.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I think Oscar has acted with dignity, the open letter is a nice gesture and the words are kind. I don't think he's likely to expand on why he's left.

The club need to make a proper statement about the nature of the reasons behind Oscar's departure. I don't care if they've lined up Pep Guardiola or Mourinho to take over, there is clearly a major problem involving money or recruitment, it has cost us two decent managers in the last year and will continue to be a problem for the new incumbent.

What is interesting and jumped out to me in the open letter was he kind of hinted it was tuff competing with was it eight clubs with parachute payments. This is very true and bad omen for the future of our club and it's prospects of promotion on any kind of level playing field, due to the fact we will never have those budgets. FFP actually hinders clubs and still gives an unfair advantage to relegated clubs, where else do you get a reward for failure..... It's wrong

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It IS getting tougher to compete because parachute payments are getting larger and are paid out over 4 years, rather than 2. However, we've had two managers allude to budget being an issue when we've been dumped out of the play-offs by parachute-less Palace and Derby.

So I don't buy the argument that it's impossible for the Albion to compete for promotion. Hard yes, but certainly not impossible. That cannot be the sole reason for the double departure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here