Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What significant things CAN you do without?

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Chap at our office goes without socks OR shoes. All year round. It's -4 today, and icy - he's still shoeless.

Never comfortable seeing him standing at the urinals.
I’d change jobs - get away from verruca feet

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Car , just scrapped my last ex minicab , driving holds no big appeal and as I now have a bus pass I thought I'd spend a few months using public transport and concluded that the £70 per month I'll save would be better used on the occasional cab .

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Anything that has a higher price due to a very obvious 'label', 'name' or 'badge' and there are a lot of those :wink:

And I appear to be in a minority, but I quite like driving :blush:
I enjoy driving too, particularly places and roads I’ve never been to or on before.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As I work a mile from home, I could live quite happily without a car.

I do like a drive however, so would like to retain the race car for the occaisional blast.

I could, and did for some years, quite happily swerve TV as well.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
WAR and VAR

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is a microwave significant? We don't have one anyway, and I can't recall the last time I owned one - more than 20 years ago, I think. The only time I consider we need a microwave is once a year when I have a Christmas pudding that needs cooking. Steaming takes forever and is a right faff.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Television. So rare that I give anything my time these days.

The occasional series like Slow Horses I enjoy.

I love films and so have subscriptions to things like BFi player.

Buy as for most TV, no thanks. If it disappeared tomorrow, I’d be fine with the radio.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Another vote for Car,
I've never owned one, never learnt to drive.

I don't understand the appeal
IF you live in a country with effective, reliable, safe, reasonably-priced, joined-up, public transport offerings, then this way of thinking has great merit.

If you live in the UK, anywhere other than the centre of a major city - and assuming you don't ever want to GO anywhere outside the centre of that city - then access to a car means reliability, infinite flexibility - freedom to go where you want, when you want.

Having my car parked outside, means that I can go anywhere I like, any time, at a fraction of the cost of public transport, sat in comfort in a heated seat, listening to my choice of entertainment, able to effortlessly carry whatever luggage / equipment I might need, and without having to experience the HORROR of close proximity with germ-ridden, anti-social and generally annoying people*

(* apart from my own annoying people...)

So - if anyone doesn't need a car, or want a car -good for them. But the appeal of having one, is very simple to understand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here