Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What should English people be proud of?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Think previous generations had more to be proud of being British (not necessarily English), not that I think pride, particularly excessive pride, is a healthy thing at all.

Sorry, but I personally now spend far more of my life being embarrassed by British and particularly proud English behaviour and attitudes. It's a good question though, but I really can't think of a positive general answer relevant in the present day other than the generosity of the public toward charitable events.

I suspect your glass is permanently half full!

You can be proud of your country and many of it's achievements but at the same time recognising that it, like every other country, still has it flaws.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
England is the best place on the planet when the weather is like it is today. It really is. Shame it only happens about 15 times a year.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I think pride is the wrong word. Can you technically be proud of something you had no input into? Admiration is probably a better word.

of course its the right word. everyones chipped in for the NHS for example. If you exist in a society and support a set of collective values or traditions even if its something as trivial as buying fish and chips that keeps fish and chips as part of our culture, then yes you can be proud.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Quite, said it many times but how can you be proud of something that people who coincidentally were born in the same country as you, did. Admiration and a slight sense of joshing style banter with people from other nations, nah. Likewise I'm not ashamed that we were involved in the slave trade, it wasn't me, or us, it was the ruling classes of the time.....

The English led the way in abolishing the slave trade which had been going on for millennia.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It's a much shorter list if you list the stuff that the rest of the world has given us. Lets see now, start with America.................Hamburgers..........

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
empire_windrush_bow_203_203x152.jpg

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The Arts we have given the world is surely second to none

Dickens
Shakespear
Turner
Constable
William Blake
The romantic poets
The Bronte Sisters
Jane Austin
The Rolling Stones
The Beatles
The list is endless really

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Wasn't the OP about what there is to be proud of.

That the rest of the World has a very short list. Do keep up..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here