Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What price

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I think you are right re Bridcutt - £3m - £4m

Ulloa however, I would think nearer £10m, on the basis of what Palace played Peterboro for a barely proven Championship player!

Overrating Ulloa so much here. Proven Premiership players don't cost that much!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Overrating Ulloa so much here. Proven Premiership players don't cost that much!

Depends who's buying. How much did Palace pay for that striker from Peterborough?

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Depends who's buying. How much did Palace pay for that striker from Peterborough?

That means nothing. What Palace panic buy won't delude other teams on values. You could argue they brought the potential (significant age difference) but that does not justify that price yet lol. At the end of the season I could be proven wrong if he scores 10-15 PL goals. Well done to Peterborough I say.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Worst thread title ever. @_@

Ulloa: 5M + an add on fee

Bridcutt: 4M + an add on fee

Worst assessment of a players value and worth ever (bar the others on this thread that also have Ulloa so low).

If Ulloa carries on his current form to Jan he'll have 15+ in the bag and will be worth 8-10m+ but that brings me to the point i made earlier...that is a monetary value placed on something that has greater worth. If we sell Ulloa for £8m we are missing out on the potential of £135m. Ulloa's worth is a chance to get to to the Prem and for that reason he will not be sold in January.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Worst assessment of a players value and worth ever (bar the others on this thread that also have Ulloa so low).

If Ulloa carries on his current form to Jan he'll have 15+ in the bag and will be worth 8-10m+ but that brings me to the point i made earlier...that is a monetary value placed on something that has greater worth. If we sell Ulloa for £8m we are missing out on the potential of £135m. Ulloa's worth is a chance to get to to the Prem and for that reason he will not be sold in January.

That's extremely accurate as it stands. Compare what other players are worth and asses potential improvement and investment. Can you see Ulloa improving further at his age? Probably, but only a little.

If his form continues THEN he gets worth more. Right now he hasn't got his 15 goals by January, so you can't value him towards 10 like some are.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
That's extremely accurate as it stands. Compare what other players are worth and asses potential improvement and investment. Can you see Ulloa improving further at his age? Probably, but only a little.

If his form continues THEN he gets worth more. Right now he hasn't got his 15 goals by January, so you can't value him towards 10 like some are.

But you can't sell him till January so his value today is meaningless and i stand by the 5m being an undervaluation because players are sold on history, form and potential and you have not placed a value on potential.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
But you can't sell him till January so his value today is meaningless and i stand by the 5m being an undervaluation because players are sold on history, form and potential and you have not placed a value on potential.

Correct.

Another factor is the cost of wages - Ulloa is on a lot less than a 'proven Premiership player', so the total cost of signing him would be lower over the contract, even with a slightly higher transfer fee (the Eto'o to Chelsea deal being a good example of the opposite - proven player but low transfer fee because of v high wages, coming towards the end of his career etc)

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Assuming Gus gets another job in the Premier what price do you think TB would consider selling Liam and Leo for or more to the point what would PB advise TB as the price. I think anything in excess of £3m for Liam and £4m for Leo. This represrents a good return on both for their time with us.

If we were simply interested in Ulloa as a commodity to sell for profit you may have a point that selling at c£4-5m made sense. But seeing as he is our major outlet for goals, you won't convince me that selling him makes any sense unless you can guarantee a replacement of equal quality and goals, at a smaller fee. So who is that in your opinion?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If we were simply interested in Ulloa as a commodity to sell for profit you may have a point that selling at c£4-5m made sense. But seeing as he is our major outlet for goals, you won't convince me that selling him makes any sense unless you can guarantee a replacement of equal quality and goals, at a smaller fee. So who is that in your opinion?[/QUOTE]

I dont know but I am sure the club would have a list drawn up of possible replacements for most players and especially one as valuable to us as Ulloa and would have contingency plans in place if it happened. The fact that he cant be sold until January is irrelevant as this can be circumvented if wanted by a loan with an agreement to buy in January but I dont think that is in the plans at the moment but a firm offer could change the plans. As regards replacing him, which I dont want to do, who had ever heard him before we started chasing him? Who had heard of Michu? Our club and Swansea had these players on their radar.

Last edited:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Bearing in mind we bought Ulloa on a decent sized contract for £3.5 million, I would not expect to see him bought out of his contract for anything less than £7 Million. He is a proven goalscorer in England and Spain, and if any other strikers of that ilk are to be considered, then my valuation is probably pretty close to the mark.

However, Bridcutt may be different. Regardless of how highly WE rate him, he is really unproven in anything other than Poyet's slow build up, style of possession football. Therefore, bearing in mind his current injury problems, his role on the pitch and the length of his contract I would not expect him to be worth more than £2.5 million MAX.

I very much doubt that the club would accept ANY offer from a club with Poyet as manager, especially if he wants to take us to court and I'm sure this is the reason why any Court action talk has gone very quiet from him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that Ulloa cost us £2m hence my value of £4m therefore our return doubling our outlay but if you are correct and we paid £3.5m then yes £7m would be nearer, again doubling our outlay.

I also think that any court action for unfair dismissal, cant see why it is court not an Industrial Tribunal, is irrelevant and would not affect anybody else offering him a job.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I love that people believe THEY know what a players valuation is.

It's near on impossible to guess. There's SO many variable factors which affect a players price that it makes it pointless to even guess....ESPECIALLY 4 months before we can even THINK of selling one.

Player's contract situation
player form
selling team position in league
selling team finances
selling teams need for replacements
The amount of buying teams interested.
The status of the buying teams (You push a better team for a higher fee)
The market at the time
The players willingness to stay (ie have they demanded a move).
The point at which negotiations take place (deadline day sees desperate to offload unwanted players or sign desperately needed players)

All these make it bascially impossible to value a player at any one time.

Also I always find it odd how people say "Oh I think he's worth £5m". You don't sell a player because they make a fair bid for him. You sell him because they have made you an offer you simply CANNOT refuse. That's the whole point. So a player's "value" is completely seperate to his selling fee. Andy Carroll for £35m the ultimate example.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Bearing in mind we bought Ulloa on a decent sized contract for £3.5 million

£2million.

FWIW there's a difference between a player's true value and his value to his club. Ulloa is probably worth 5-6m to the market (as one of the better strikers in the division) but double that to us (as our most potent goal threat). Bridcutt, whose contract is up sooner and in a position where the asking price is not as high, is probably only worth 2-3m to the market. 6 months ago I'd have said double that too - but now I'd say 3-4m tops, given our change of style and the emergence of ince/andrews.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
To replace Leo QUICKLY we'd need about £8m. That's how much for Jordan Rhodes, a player probably not as good as Leo. And that's assuming a ready made goalscorer proven at Champ level is available.

Bollocks to it. £15m.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I dont know but I am sure the club would have a list drawn up of possible replacements for most players and especially one as valuable to us as Ulloa and would have contingency plans in place if it happened. The fact that he cant be sold until January is irrelevant as this can be circumvented if wanted by a loan with an agreement to buy in January but I dont think that is in the plans at the moment but a firm offer could change the plans. As regards replacing him, which I dont want to do, who had ever heard him before we started chasing him? Who had heard of Michu? Our club and Swansea had these players on their radar.

That wouldn't happen. Top flight clubs are not allowed to sign anybody, loan or perm and we are unlikely to sell him to any club outside of the Premier League or Spanish La Liga as he's worth too much to us and our chances of promotion. Selling Ulloa would simply be footballing suicide at the moment and would be in January too, strikers of his quality don't grow on trees and for every one you sign you go through many Sam Volkes and Barn door Billys.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I love that people believe THEY know what a players valuation is.

It's near on impossible to guess. There's SO many variable factors which affect a players price that it makes it pointless to even guess....ESPECIALLY 4 months before we can even THINK of selling one.

Player's contract situation
player form
selling team position in league
selling team finances
selling teams need for replacements
The amount of buying teams interested.
The status of the buying teams (You push a better team for a higher fee)
The market at the time
The players willingness to stay (ie have they demanded a move).
The point at which negotiations take place (deadline day sees desperate to offload unwanted players or sign desperately needed players)

All these make it bascially impossible to value a player at any one time.

Also I always find it odd how people say "Oh I think he's worth £5m". You don't sell a player because they make a fair bid for him. You sell him because they have made you an offer you simply CANNOT refuse. That's the whole point. So a player's "value" is completely seperate to his selling fee. Andy Carroll for £35m the ultimate example.

If required that is so easy to overcome any club can get any player they want today if both clubs agree. Simple a loan until January 21st with an agreement to pay x amount for the player on January 1st when the window opens, problem solved. The rest of the post is correct but it is fun to have a view of a players value not knowing all the ins and out, and to read the differing opinions.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If required that is so easy to overcome any club can get any player they want today if both clubs agree. Simple a loan until January 21st with an agreement to pay x amount for the player on January 1st when the window opens, problem solved. The rest of the post is correct but it is fun to have a view of a players value not knowing all the ins and out, and to read the differing opinions.

Premier League clubs cannot sign anyone on loan until Jan 1st.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here