Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What music/entertainment have you experienced repeatedly despite not ever liking it?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I buy a lot of music and like buying used cds in 5 for a pound type deals just to hear them, sometimes finding some gems, more often only playing them once. I've recently picked up a load that I've been working my through and had Sarah Mclachlan's first album 'Touch' on today. On listening to it, I realised that I'm not much of a fan. Nothing unusual there, but this felt like a familiar experience. I've just looked and I actually own five of her albums. I couldn't name one of her songs and have realised that whenever I've been trawling charity shops and seen her records, my synapses have short circuited upon reading her name and I've just thrown them in the yes pile. I thought she had been in a band that I liked, but I've just looked her up and she never was. I've obviously had her confused, I think with either Natalie Merchant from 10,000 Maniacs, or Maria McKee from Lone Justice, or possibly both. Despite not liking her music at all, I've ended up with a record collection that makes me look like a huge fan (or, more likely, just an idiot with a hoarding problem).

My idiocy got me thinking about other music/films etc that I have repeatedly dedicated valuable time to that I don't really like. A lot of the time this happens because of friends: I have seen The Wolfhounds on several occasions because either my mates wanted to go, or because they were supporting a band I liked. Other than 'The Anti Midas Touch', I've never really liked them, but I've been to see them more often than quite a lot of bands that I like a lot. I've also seen the 1990s Rebacca De Mornay film 'The Hand That Rocks The Cradle' three times, despite thinking it a load of guff from the first viewing. Each time this was because of the Video shop choices of friends, all of whom also ended up regretting that they bothered with it despite shouting down my protestations when the choice was being made.

So the question is what music, film, TV, art, drama, comedy etc have you wasted a good deal of your time on despite never really liking it. Can anyone beat my five albums owned by somebody they really have no time for? (Watching the Albion play since the beginning of February doesn't count).

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
HWTs music posted on here.

Sorry Harry :kiss:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Music... through radio and going to parties a variety of mumbling autotuned rappers. On TV quite a lot of time wasted on sitcoms and other shows (Simpsons is a prime example), not because I like it but because sometimes its nice to just be braindead for an hour or two.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Music - The Beatles, at school music teacher all we ever did or played was shitty Beatles shite.
Then I thought that was behind me, nope, they are out there in the adult world as well, tv, articles, news, films, no bloody escape. :sick:

TV - EastEnders back in the day watching it with the ex, oh my days what utter shite and waste of life. :facepalm:

Games - Football manager, Jebus if I could have all that time back, mainly when I was younger, no kids etc. Time to waste and boy did I, up to the early hours getting Brighton to unknown heights. :lolol:

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I buy a lot of music and like buying used cds in 5 for a pound type deals just to hear them, sometimes finding some gems, more often only playing them once. I've recently picked up a load that I've been working my through and had Sarah Mclachlan's first album 'Touch' on today. On listening to it, I realised that I'm not much of a fan. Nothing unusual there, but this felt like a familiar experience. I've just looked and I actually own five of her albums. I couldn't name one of her songs and have realised that whenever I've been trawling charity shops and seen her records, my synapses have short circuited upon reading her name and I've just thrown them in the yes pile. I thought she had been in a band that I liked, but I've just looked her up and she never was. I've obviously had her confused, I think with either Natalie Merchant from 10,000 Maniacs, or Maria McKee from Lone Justice, or possibly both. Despite not liking her music at all, I've ended up with a record collection that makes me look like a huge fan (or, more likely, just an idiot with a hoarding problem).

My idiocy got me thinking about other music/films etc that I have repeatedly dedicated valuable time to that I don't really like. A lot of the time this happens because of friends: I have seen The Wolfhounds on several occasions because either my mates wanted to go, or because they were supporting a band I liked. Other than 'The Anti Midas Touch', I've never really liked them, but I've been to see them more often than quite a lot of bands that I like a lot. I've also seen the 1990s Rebacca De Mornay film 'The Hand That Rocks The Cradle' three times, despite thinking it a load of guff from the first viewing. Each time this was because of the Video shop choices of friends, all of whom also ended up regretting that they bothered with it despite shouting down my protestations when the choice was being made.

So the question is what music, film, TV, art, drama, comedy etc have you wasted a good deal of your time on despite never really liking it. Can anyone beat my five albums owned by somebody they really have no time for? (Watching the Albion play since the beginning of February doesn't count).

I'm genuinely gobsmacked. This is STUNNING :love:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I'm genuinely gobsmacked. This is STUNNING :love:

That's actually much better than anything on any of the albums that I've got. She has a decent voice, but none of the songs on any of her records have grabbed me.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Can we include the mumblers on every film and TV programme, the ones who don't seem to realise that most people are trying to pick out the dialogue on some tinny tv flat speaker let alone on decent LG soundbar.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I've watched Stewart Lee three times and the first episode of Mad Men twice partly on the basis I must have missed something

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Music... through radio and going to parties a variety of mumbling autotuned rappers. On TV quite a lot of time wasted on sitcoms and other shows (Simpsons is a prime example), not because I like it but because sometimes its nice to just be braindead for an hour or two.

The Simpsons is an interesting one. In its heyday it was out on its own as the greatest TV show being made anywhere in the world. It took me more than a decade of watching new episodes to finally accept that it had turned into absolute garbage and to stop watching it. Ironically, at the beginning of every episode I was like Homer with his hog roast in 'Lisa The Vegetarian' hopefully lying to myself with 'It's still good, it's still good'. despite all of the evidence to the contrary.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Steps.

The joys of being married.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
A friend of mine runs a high end hifi business and recently had a "shoot out", CD versus Hi-Res download versus Vinyl versus Open Reel tape. #métronomeaudio AQWO CD Player, #dcsonlythemusic Vivaldi, #TechDas airforce, #otari MTR-12, #audioresearch Ref 6Se & Ref80S, #wilsonaudio Alexx V. and all the participants agreed, open reel master tape won hands down, however the music he used was Clare Teals "A tribute to Ella Fitzgerald". a genre I havent really listened to much, but I really liked it and have invested in the CD
GuildfordAudio.jpg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The Simpsons is an interesting one. In its heyday it was out on its own as the greatest TV show being made anywhere in the world. It took me more than a decade of watching new episodes to finally accept that it had turned into absolute garbage and to stop watching it. Ironically, at the beginning of every episode I was like Homer with his hog roast in 'Lisa The Vegetarian' hopefully lying to myself with 'It's still good, it's still good'. despite all of the evidence to the contrary.

I mean... it is rarely annoying. If I watch "Scrubs" or "Friends", more often than not I find myself wanting to go out and strangle people and this is rarely the case with Simpsons, but its not really "fun" - I never laugh and barely smile when watching it - and its not all that "edgy" (with the odd edge here and there) so its kind of pointless. Dont like it, dont dislike it but it could be easily argued that the 500 hours or so I've spent watching it could have been used in a more productive or entertaining manner.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Can we include the mumblers on every film and TV programme, the ones who don't seem to realise that most people are trying to pick out the dialogue on some tinny tv flat speaker let alone on decent LG soundbar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here