Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is your "I wish I had been there" Albion occasion?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Following on from the other (excellent) thread, what's the game/moment/ocasion in Albion history that you missed, but wished you hadn't?

For me, without doubt, it was Hereford. I had a big family wedding to go to, and was told in no uncertain terms, that I had to attend.

I listened to the game on a tiny radio, with an earpiece in. When RR scored, in the middle of the Bride' father speech, and I leapt out of my chair, I think the rest of m family wished I had gone to the game.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bloody Donny first league game at the Amex. Was at a wedding.

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
Wembley 91. I Was sixteen and my parents wouldn't lend me the cash for a ticket on the promiseof paying them back on the next payday. I tried selling my KYLIE album to a mate but was only offered a couple of quid.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Started following Albion in 1988 for proper,recall going to see Swansea at the Goldstone in the First Division when i was 8 in 1981 for a midweek game,we lost 1-2 and was on the Chicken run,but for me i wish i could have seen the "Glory" days in the 1970's and perhaps stood in the South Stand,with the lads..

That and the 6-0 promotion clincher after many near misses in the mid 1950's versus Watford in 1958 with No Floodlight's when Thorne scored "FIVE" goals.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Last game at the goldstone for me. Just got myself my first job and had to work.

I would be able to deal with it a bit better now if that job had defined me and my career but it didnt and I every time I go to the Amex I always think of what was, and I don't really remember the Donny game at the Amex, I got so drunk t's just a blur. I have photos but the memory has gone:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Thanks to my football hating parents who would never take me to games, I missed out on years of the Albion :cry:

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Newcastle away 1979

Same for me, was gutted. My mate who I went to every game with up until then managed to go but I couldn't make it.
Had to listen on radio and couldn't believe we had made top flight for first time ever.
Only problem my mate had by going was that some Newcastle yobs smashed the window next to him on the coach and he froze all the way from Newcastle to Brighton!!!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Newcastle Away 79, Wembley 83, Wembley Play Off, Hereford, Cardiff Play Off, that night at Palace. My job has caused me to miss a lot of the big games.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Hereford. I just couldn't get a ticket. I tried the home end but even my (then) Kent address wasn't enough to persuade them.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Walsall away 2011 and the play off final at the Millennium Stadium. All the other key moments I would have been too young to appreciate.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
1983, the first game. I was coming up 15, in an age when it was the only live game on tv all year, at an age when you idolise your team, collect newspaper clippings, watch every news report, soak up the atmosphere through Jimmy Hill on BBC1, live footage of the coach/helicopter arriving - crikey, I'm getting goosebumps now just thinking about it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here