Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is your favourite UK city after Brighton and London?

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
If you prefer the countryside then I guess London is not going to float your boat :smile: I'm the exact opposite; I get really bored in the countryside and hate having to drive 3 miles to a petrol station when I've run out of milk.

yeh - different strokes for different folks - when i lived in devon if it snowed it was game over, had to langlauf to the nearest shop which took about 1.5 hours each way. but the house also had the most breathtaking views

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Nottingham - excellent atmosphere in 'The Added Time', and not too bad a place to score either.

#poor

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Not a city but Bridport is a lovely market town with lots going on .It has West Bay fishing harbour just down the road.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bristol

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
London is a vile city. Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester all above London.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Bath, Liverpool, and it's been a long time since I went to either, also Glasgow & Edinburgh.

Although city centres, probably due to the Luftwaffe & post-WW2 town planners/architects - Leicester, Portsmouth, Southampton, Plymouth.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Throw in Truro into the list.

As for London, it wouldnt make my top 5 favourite cities in the UK. Far too crowded and expensive.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Liverpool. Brilliant nightlife and cheap bevvies.

My wife studied for both her degrees at Bath Univ and we usually pop down for weekend break and some Rugby at the Rec during the year. Many happy days and nights spent in the Pultney Arms with John Hall et al. We even got snowed in there one Sunday afternoon in the early 80's, think I eventually turned up at work (Epsom) on the Wednesday.
Exeter is OK but a bit small. Votes for York, Chester and Edinburgh and more locally, Chichester.

Some votes just for the OP: Freiburg, Berlin and Hamburg. Maybe Munich too but I do find some Bavarians a bit odd/parochial, although not in a "Bushy" stereotype way.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Not keen on London, mainly because it's got to the stage where it's impossible for someone on a normal salary/income to live there and have a reasonable quality of life.

Cities in the UK I've lived in and liked a lot are:

Glasgow (cracking place, fantastic restaurants and nightlife, easy access to highlands and islands -- Loch Lomond and the Trossachs 20 minutes away)

Bath (although Bath, despite its beautiful exterior, can be quite dull and provincial in lots of ways).

Oxford (a lot better than Cambridge, because there's a real town as well as the university, which pretty much dominates Cambridge).

Cities I've not lived in, but have visited and imagine I might like living there are:
Bristol -- lively place, lots going on.
Manchester (ditto, but rains too much and too many students),
Sheffield (great city with the bonus of proximity to amazing countryside -- Peak district etc).
Edinburgh (can be a bit up itself compared with Glasgow, and too cold in winter, but still a good place).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here