Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] What is wrong with this country

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I addressed your first question in my earlier post and provided a link to numerous studies outlining the connection between inequality and crime.
It's just unfortunate that inequality and crime wasn't the subject under discussion.

But I'm happy to swap out redistribution of wealth (a possible solution) and swap in inequality ( a possible cause).

How would the reduction of inequality have prevented the three crimes under discussion (a drunk driver killing a cyclist and burying the body, a woman hitting a horse, and a couple stripping a hotel room bare)?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It's just unfortunate that inequality and crime wasn't the subject under discussion.

But I'm happy to swap out redistribution of wealth (a possible solution) and swap in inequality ( a possible cause).

How would the reduction of inequality have prevented the three crimes under discussion (a drunk driver killing a cyclist and burying the body, a woman hitting a horse, and a couple stripping a hotel room bare)?

Here's my initial response as you don't seem to have found it.

I haven't found your explanation of how the entitlement epidemic has led to a surge in horse slapping though.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Here's my initial response as you don't seem to have found it.

I haven't found your explanation of how the entitlement epidemic has led to a surge in horse slapping though.
Your initial response included links to inequality and crime, but not realising that was not what was being discussed, you then discounted them saying they didn't seem to be the driver of the crimes in the OP !

What exactly is your point? You're not making any sense.

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011
True. But when I hear Germans moaning about trains being a few minutes late or having to wait a whole two weeks for a hernia op I do chuckle.

Many Germans will tell you how sh*t their railway is, if a quick Google search for Deutsche Bahn reputation is anything to go by.

It's like most things. It's so awful in the UK (because of the evil Tories) yet have a search for '[insert name of country] [insert topic]' and it's usually the same story. Germany Food Banks, for example. Although still the evil Tories fault, no doubt.

Their Health Service may be better performing, though. But every German is required to have Health Insurance. Perhaps that's a system we should be looking at.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Your initial response included links to inequality and crime, but not realising that was not what was being discussed, you then discounted them saying they didn't seem to be the driver of the crimes in the OP !

What exactly is your point? You're not making any sense.

My point was very simple. Inequality and crime are linked but not all crime is caused by inequality.

What I wanted to know was how the "entitlement epidemic" is fuelling crimes like animal abuse and killing cyclists.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Many Germans will tell you how sh*t their railway is, if a quick Google search for Deutsche Bahn reputation is anything to go by.

It's like most things. It's so awful in the UK (because of the evil Tories) yet have a search for '[insert name of country] [insert topic]' and it's usually the same story. Germany Food Banks, for example. Although still the evil Tories fault, no doubt.

Their Health Service may be better performing, though. But every German is required to have Health Insurance. Perhaps that's a system we should be looking at.
As I said, I agree Germans do complain about the railway.

German food banks, it’s a good point. The German “Tafel” network is 30 years old this year and it’s something I fully support and probably always will. The concept of supermarkets, local food retailers and bakeries giving their leftover food that is still good to eat is surely simple common sense? Far better than slinging it in the bin.

As for the Tories fault, they have been in power for 13 years now; who else is responsible for the state of the UK?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Much is wrong with this country. Many other countries too. The world is in a bit of a state
Meanwhile Russia, China, South Africa setting up a super training block even talking about a single currency its the inevitable decline of capitalism as the West has known it for the last 100 years, a new world is coming led by autocrats with less human rights and more centralised decision taking I fear we are not very well placed to face these challenges.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
You didn’t even open that link let alone read it, did you? If you had you’d see from very the opening sentence the article argues against your point.

“Germany has been slowly regaining the unenviable title of “the sick man of Europe” in recent weeks, although some economists aren’t convinced it’s a fair and accurate description of Europe’s largest economy.”

Out of interest, on a scale of 1 to 10, how stupid do you now feel?
I would say offer up some guidance notes beyond 1 to 10 but…..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here