Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] What is wrong with this country

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Regards the kicking and slapping the horse - its the country set who were involved and they also run the judiciary .. The group have been involved with fox hunting with dogs which is also against the law but again they never get punished even when its been caught on video.
It should be the jury you're having a go at, not the judge.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
So fix the wealth distribution and crime will cease? Really? Do you have any supporting evidence?

The examples of crimes described on this thread are:

1. A drink driver killed a cyclist, buried the body and was only caught because he confessed to his girlfriend. How would a redistribution of wealth have prevented that crime? Did the drunk driver have too much or too little wealth?
2. A horse-rider slapped a horse. How would a redistribution of wealth have prevented that crime? By preventing the horse owner from owning the horse? What if she then slapped her dog?
3. A couple staying at a hotel, stripped the room bare. How would a redistribution of wealth have prevented that crime? By redistributing all the contents of their hotel bedroom to the couple, so they didn't feel the need to do such a thing until the next time they stayed in a hotel?

Your argument simply doesn't stand up to any kind of analysis.

However, if you had said, we are undergoing an - entitlement - epidemic, then I would have agreed with you. People feel they are entitled to do all kinds of things.
This transcends all classes, and all income groups.

Your sense of injustice (translated it means, other people have too much money, and you have too little) is yet another manifestation of that entitlement.
getting rid of the wealth for some might put a stop on the countryside community who basically are f*cking it by their obsession to kill things.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fair enough, we're not as shit as developing countries then. Makes me proud to be British.

It’s not unique to us. We’ve French neighbours (lefties) who loathe the state of France and have hated every French president since we’ve known them, they say moaning about their country is the norm. The Ukrainian addition to our family said (pre-Putin’s genocide) Ukraine’s national sport was moaning and half the country had disliked Zelensky. Then look at the US, where the best part of a 100m people feel so angry they support Trump.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Fair enough, we're not as shit as developing countries then. Makes me proud to be British.
You only have to look at the rise of the far right in many western countries to know that our issues are certainly not unique within developed nations too. We have pretty much the lowest voting % for far right parties in Europe. (Yes I know we voted for Brexit which is shit, but the result would be similar in most other countries if they were given the vote because of discontent in other EU countries too).

Spend any decent amount of time abroad and you'll realise that people moan about the state of their country wherever you go

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Spend any decent amount of time abroad and you'll realise that people moan about the state of their country wherever you go
True. But when I hear Germans moaning about trains being a few minutes late or having to wait a whole two weeks for a hernia op I do chuckle.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
True. But when I hear Germans moaning about trains being a few minutes late or having to wait a whole two weeks for a hernia op I do chuckle.
Yeah, but approximately 18% vote for the AfD party suggests discontent amongst a significant % of the population in Germany!

Reactions: cjd

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
So fix the wealth distribution and crime will cease? Really? Do you have any supporting evidence?

The examples of crimes described on this thread are:

1. A drink driver killed a cyclist, buried the body and was only caught because he confessed to his girlfriend. How would a redistribution of wealth have prevented that crime? Did the drunk driver have too much or too little wealth?
2. A horse-rider slapped a horse. How would a redistribution of wealth have prevented that crime? By preventing the horse owner from owning the horse? What if she then slapped her dog?
3. A couple staying at a hotel, stripped the room bare. How would a redistribution of wealth have prevented that crime? By redistributing all the contents of their hotel bedroom to the couple, so they didn't feel the need to do such a thing until the next time they stayed in a hotel?

Your argument simply doesn't stand up to any kind of analysis.

However, if you had said, we are undergoing an - entitlement - epidemic, then I would have agreed with you. People feel they are entitled to do all kinds of things.
This transcends all classes, and all income groups.

Your sense of injustice (translated it means, other people have too much money, and you have too little) is yet another manifestation of that entitlement.

There are countless studies showing a link between inequality and crime.

It wouldn't seem to be the driver in the cases mentioned in the OP but I fail to see how they relate to your perceived "entitlement epidemic" either.

Do people feel more entitled to slap horses and murder cyclists these days? Can't say the thought has crossed my mind.

As for a sense of injustice being a "manifestation of entitlement", that's just tosh. A sense of fairness is something that has evolved in humans and is an essential characteristic. It exists in other animals too. There's one study where monkeys are happily chowing down on bits of cucumber offered by researchers until one is given a grape. The grapeless monkey is terribly aggrieved and refuses subsequent offers of cucumber. So angry that he could slap a horse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, but approximately 18% vote for the AfD party suggests discontent amongst a significant % of the population in Germany!
I’m not suggesting everyone agrees with the current government, of course they don’t , and with PR in place everyone has a voice on this. But my point still stands.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling

More likely moaning about the Fatherland being the sick man of Europe HT?!

German businesses’ confidence falls as economy stagnates - https://on.ft.com/45L9p3W via @FT

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Knock a bloke off his bike. Bury him and just get 12 years.

Kick and slap a horse and it’s deemed ok?

There’s something very wrong here.
And if he hadn't confessed to his then girlfriend would he have got away with it?

And don't rule out Netflix or whoever making a film about it down the line.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
More likely moaning about the Fatherland being the sick man of Europe HT?!

German businesses’ confidence falls as economy stagnates - https://on.ft.com/45L9p3W via @FT
You didn’t even open that link let alone read it, did you? If you had you’d see from very the opening sentence the article argues against your point.

“Germany has been slowly regaining the unenviable title of “the sick man of Europe” in recent weeks, although some economists aren’t convinced it’s a fair and accurate description of Europe’s largest economy.”

Out of interest, on a scale of 1 to 10, how stupid do you now feel?

abc

Jan 6, 2007
We are incredibly fortunate to live in the UK. It is not Utopia and we should all be striving to make it a better place for everyone, especially the least privileged. Tackling the Westminster sewer would be a start.
But would anyone here rather live in Somalia, China, Russia, Ukraine, Venezuela etc etc? The grass is rarely greener.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You didn’t even open that link let alone read it, did you? If you had you’d see from very the opening sentence the article argues against your point.

“Germany has been slowly regaining the unenviable title of “the sick man of Europe” in recent weeks, although some economists aren’t convinced it’s a fair and accurate description of Europe’s largest economy.”

Out of interest, on a scale of 1 to 10, how stupid do you now feel?

Obviously thick skinned as he doesn't feel stupid enough to stop using this account and set up another one just yet :lolol:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
We are incredibly fortunate to live in the UK. It is not Utopia and we should all be striving to make it a better place for everyone, especially the least privileged. Tackling the Westminster sewer would be a start.
But would anyone here rather live in Somalia, China, Russia, Ukraine, Venezuela etc etc? The grass is rarely greener.
Even compared to other western European countries in terms of attitudes to sexuality, women, racism etc. Still a way to go but we are ahead of most European countries for sure in those aspects.

Louis MacNeice

Dec 7, 2015
Just do a quick Google and you will find many decades of peer reviewed research which demonstrates a clear, significant and enduring correlation, between both income and wealth distribution and rates of crime (including both violent and white collar crime) actual and percieved.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here