Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the MATTER with people in East Belfast?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's bollocks and you know it. You cannot draw any meaningful parallels between the two situations. When was the last time aborigines murdered a 4 year old boy whilst he was out shopping with his dad?

You're talking about how they react due to those attitudes. I've not claimed they have acted similarly in that respect.

I simply said the anger, frustration, long term resentment do parallel each other. Which they do. Both communities still harbour long term resentment.

This manifests itself in violent acts. Not on the same scale or methods, but it does occur.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's bollocks and you know it. You cannot draw any meaningful parallels between the two situations. When was the last time aborigines murdered a 4 year old boy whilst he was out shopping with his dad?

They pretended a dingo done did it.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The real worry here is that The Cranberries might come out of retirement/write a new tune.

NO-ONE wants that.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Firstly, a lot of the problems with no-go areas are confined to very small parts of Ulster, the vast majority of the people there live the same normal lives as you and me. Secondly, you claimed Belfast was, geographically in a different world.

....Ha ha ha! You've set me off again. That was priceless!

Then you clearly missed Bushys post that I was taking the piss out of by copying the words ;-)

'Originally Posted by bushy
take it from me , county clare is a world away from the north both geographically and how people livbe their everyday life, if you've only ever been to clare, then you're totally and utterly clueless as to the realities of northern ireland, a separate country, legally.'

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What is the MATTER with the people in East Belfast.

Well, I'm sure that one contributory factor is recession.

If you have large numbers of unemployed people - many of them young - who see little hope for the future, then it is relatively easy for them to find some reason for throwing a brick at authority. It's the perfect environment for one of the sides to stir up trouble should they wish.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Meanwhile back in Belfast. Would any of the ex-military types on here care to let me know which side the PSNI is on, as they seem to bearing the brunt of this protest. Thanks

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You're talking about how they react due to those attitudes. I've not claimed they have acted similarly in that respect.

I simply said the anger, frustration, long term resentment do parallel each other. Which they do. Both communities still harbour long term resentment.

This manifests itself in violent acts. Not on the same scale or methods, but it does occur.

They reacted differently because the situations are different...different cultures...different people...different country....different war. The reason why the British capitulated to the IRA was precisely because the IRA bombed us into submission. That's why there is a PSNI, that's why McGuinness is head honcho there.

So tell me...how, in any way, shape or form can those series of events be mirrored with what the Aborigines are trying to do in Oz?

Your claims that you're somehow brothers under the same skin along with native Indians, the Armenians, the Portugese Jews in the 1500s and every single other displaced people is risible.

I tell you what...if you can find on the Internet one article written by someone who actually knows what they're talking about who thinks that an understanding of the aborigine history gives a useful insight into religious bigotry in Northern Ireland I'll take back all that I said about you being a fuckwit.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
What is the MATTER with the people in East Belfast.

Well, I'm sure that one contributory factor is recession.

If you have large numbers of unemployed people - many of them young - who see little hope for the future, then it is relatively easy for them to find some reason for throwing a brick at authority. It's the perfect environment for one of the sides to stir up trouble should they wish.

you are right - no coincidence the period of peace coincided with a credit fuelled spending spree in the province. unfortunately now we have to pick up the tab.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
They reacted differently because the situations are different...different cultures...different people...different country....different war. The reason why the British capitulated to the IRA was precisely because the IRA bombed us into submission. That's why there is a PSNI, that's why McGuinness is head honcho there.

So tell me...how, in any way, shape or form can those series of events be mirrored with what the Aborigines are trying to do in Oz?

Your claims that you're somehow brothers under the same skin along with native Indians, the Armenians, the Portugese Jews in the 1500s and every single other displaced people is risible.

I tell you what...if you can find on the Internet one article written by someone who actually knows what they're talking about who thinks that an understanding of the aborigine history gives a useful insight into religious bigotry in Northern Ireland I'll take back all that I said about you being a fuckwit.
If they had done that then it would be thae garda rather than the PSNI, if I'm honest I think both sides were looking for an excuse to save face and stop the fight.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I actually think youre right Bushy.

The IRA knew they could never win.... The British governement knew they could never stop the shit.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
I dislike the simple cliche' that they are all thick, but while they are allowing hate to eclipse wisdom, understanding, or empathy & compassion, they are earning their reputation.
They cannot see past their history of hate.

Sad. And Stupid.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
You would never witness that buzzer, I dont have the experience...you?
The fact that posters like simster, who is regularly at odds with me on various issues , cant stand you , only strengthens my conviction that you were a bullied misfit, and that alone is the reason for you leaving early , your laughable attempt to explain that you signed on for longer for the money only adds fuel to the fire , as , like any serviceman will know, you can APPLY to buy yourself out , but its by no means guaranteed that they'd let you , especially for a skilled tradesman like yourself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here