Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the best tinned soup? SERIOUS

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Because sometimes you only have 5 mins to prepare lunch?

I make soup often and yes, it's a piece of p|ss, but a tin of soup in the cupboard is a dead handy option when pressed for time...

open a tin. put in pan. heat it up. volley.

Make a big batch of soup if you have an hour to kill, then freeze the leftovers for another time. Economical too.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a prude when it comes to cooking, but I'm getting into cookery more now, and soup is one of my favourite meals to make :drool:: Before, I used to have Heinz Cream of Tomato or Pea and Ham soup from Covent Gardens, but the amount of salt added to disguise the lack of flavour puts me right off.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Happy to report that the Baxters Highland Game soup is smashing and 3% of the recipe is Sherry.

it's a 400ml tin so it's 12ml of sherry

20 tins should give me a warm glow

multi tasking:)

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Heinz Cream of Tomato is the favourite in the Grombleton household. It used to be Potato & Leek, but it turns out i'm allergic to leek :(

This is belting though, fills you right up.

Heinz_Chicken_And_Herb_Dumplings_430G.jpg

It's not necessarily the soup, but any accompaniments; a couple of slices of Tiger bread is splendid.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I love Lobster Bisque in any form or even fish soup if homemade but as regards tinned I like Baxters Lobster Bisque but I must admit LIDL do a very good one in a bottle in their Deluxe range. Sligtly OT has anybody noticed that you do not seem to be able to buy packets of 5 min simmer soup in either 1pt or 1.5 pint now, think they could have been made by Knorr if memory serves me well. Wanted some to make up for my flask but had to use a combination of Batchelors Oxtail Cuppa soup and Heinz Mulligatawny..

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Can't BELIEVE how many people rate Heinz on here, since that Oirish bloke took charge of them a few years ago quality plummeted well below Campbells.

I now go for Ainsley Harriots packet stuff and often mix it with Morrison's cans. A particularly good mix is Morry's Ham and Pea soup supplemented by Ainsley's Pea Powder. Thickens up a treat.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Heinz Cream of Tomato is the favourite in the Grombleton household. It used to be Potato & Leek, but it turns out i'm allergic to leek :(

This is belting though, fills you right up.

Heinz_Chicken_And_Herb_Dumplings_430G.jpg

It's not necessarily the soup, but any accompaniments; a couple of slices of Tiger bread is splendid.

Never been to Leek, wots wrong with it?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Make a big batch of soup if you have an hour to kill, then freeze the leftovers for another time. Economical too.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a prude when it comes to cooking, but I'm getting into cookery more now, and soup is one of my favourite meals to make :drool:: Before, I used to have Heinz Cream of Tomato or Pea and Ham soup from Covent Gardens, but the amount of salt added to disguise the lack of flavour puts me right off.

If I had a microwave at home... or a freezer at work, that might be an option.

If you want a very easy, tasty, thick winter-warmer of a soup, try this (can't remember the quantities off-hand):

Chop an onion & fry to soften with some cumin seeds
Chuck in a tin of toms, some smoked hot paprika and a chopped chilli
Add (red) lentils and some stock and simmer until the lentils are almost cooked
Add half a tin of chick peas (drained), simmer for 5 mins.
Liquidise.
Return to heat.
Season - plenty of pepper, salt to taste (depends on how salty your stock was too)
Add milk to loosen if required (but it's supposed to be thick)
Add the rest of the chick peas. Simmer for 5 mins.
Add chopped coriander
Serve with a dollop of sour cream

Filling, tasty and can be as spicy as you wish... Also good for veggies unless you use a chicken stock (not that my sister noticed one time & I only remembered after she'd eaten it!)

:thumbsup:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My missus makes nice homemade soup, but if I have tinned then its usually Heinz Tomato. I put some chunks of cheddar cheese in it.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I love Lobster Bisque in any form or even fish soup if homemade but as regards tinned I like Baxters Lobster Bisque but I must admit LIDL do a very good one in a bottle in their Deluxe range. Sligtly OT has anybody noticed that you do not seem to be able to buy packets of 5 min simmer soup in either 1pt or 1.5 pint now, think they could have been made by Knorr if memory serves me well. Wanted some to make up for my flask but had to use a combination of Batchelors Oxtail Cuppa soup and Heinz Mulligatawny..

Normally make my own but Heinz Mulligatawny is great and a quick curry fix.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Cream of tomato

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
If plastic tins count, Glorious soups sold out of Co-Op do a West African Chicken & Peanut which us, er, glorious & astonishingly good

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If anyone has a cold or throat infection then have chicken soup. The Jewish people would always serve it whenever someone in the family was ill. Several years ago, it was investigated and scientifically proven to have healing properties. I don't know whether any particular brand is better than any other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here