Magnum Force
LA Confidential
Life of Brian
Pulp Fiction
Get Carter (the original, obviously)
The Long Good Friday
My Cousin Vinny

Hard to argue with any of them....

Aside from Blade Runner I have two other Ridley Scott Films for you, one of which you will know the other almost certainly not.

Alien - a LOT of horror made out of comparatively little.

The Duellists - His first ever outing and one of the most beautiful looking films ever made, which considering it is to do with two men trying to kill one another over a period of some 20 odd years is paradoxical. An absolutely stunning cast of UK actors as well, although the two chief protagonists are both American (Keith Carradine and Harvey Keitel).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
'Life is Beautiful', absolutely hand down. The Pianist and Schindlers List are GOOD films, but neither Polanski or Spielberg came close to nailing the subject as well as this. Emotional.

Dancing Sock

Dec 8, 2012
Brighton
I watched American Beauty last night after seeing y'all post about it and thought it was creepy but good.

Also watched Taxi Driver but thought it wasn't really about anything?!

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
I'd say

Pulp Fiction
Fargo
No Country For Old Men
Inglourious *******s
American Beauty
The Dark Knight
Django Unchained

All deserve a mention. And not in the same category but I'd have to say Anchorman: Legend Of Ron Burgundy. Achieved a cult status it never knew it would achieve. Probably the film I have seen most too....

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
hahahhahaha Forrest Gump??!! that pile of right wing saccharine horsesh1t that beat Pulp Fiction to the oscar??!!

honestly unless you are some kind of patriotic yank find it hard to understand how you can like it

oh and the 'best' film ever i.e. my fav is Life of Brian

If you think Forrest Gump is a right wing film then holy crap did the message of the film go right over your wee head.

How a movie with an ANTI-war message is right wing I'll never know.

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
Seems it was given the underlining aspect of the war scenes was about the senselessness of war and how it ruins lives.

Not the mindset of a "right wing" film.

mate all I remember is that Forrest was the all american hero doing his duty for his country whereas his lady friend embraced the liberal counter culture and met a sticky end

seem to remember it getting praise from lots of Republicans at the time for its 'values'

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
'Life is Beautiful', absolutely hand down. The Pianist and Schindlers List are GOOD films, but neither Polanski or Spielberg came close to nailing the subject as well as this. Emotional.

I gotta disagree with you there. All three are very good, but for me the pianist stands out. Benigni is brave coming at the subject from the direction he does, but at the end of the day that strength is also the films major weakness. Spielbergs film is of course very good but it is after all Spielberg so that schmaltz seeps into the pores of the film.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
mate all I remember is that Forrest was the all american hero doing his duty for his country whereas his lady friend embraced the liberal counter culture and met a sticky end

seem to remember it getting praise from lots of Republicans at the time for its 'values'

She died of aids.

seagull1981

Blue & White Forever
Aug 8, 2010
The Dark Knight, I do love the film and is one of my favourites but is up there in at least my top 5 because of Heath Ledger. Some of the best acting and portrayal of a character I have seen in a film and knowing now (spoiler)....
That the hospital scene where it doesn't blow up first time and was meant to, Heath ledger dealt with it incredibly well and just makes you realise how into that character he got which ultimately cost him the greatest price. The improvised hospital walk to scene, the improvised slow hand clap in the prison cell scene for commissioner Gordon just sends tingles down you neck.
The amount of British actors is quite nice as well and is a reason why I love the Harry potters because of the British feel on a world stage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here