Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is people's problem with Sherwood?

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I quite like him and actually hope we can persuade him to come down to Brighton, give him a decent contract and time to develop a team which lets face it is going to change dramatically over the next season. Obviously he will get criticised here for pretty much every decision he makes, just like Poyet and OG but given time and by that i mean more than one season we could actually see a team that equals our infrastructure and finally realise our true ambition of top flight football played with flair.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
But think about who he's communicating with, it's about football intelligence and conveying a point to other footballers on their level. If he can do that it won't matter how he sounds in the media, that is of secondary importance. In any case I'm sure he'll get more savvy at the media stuff, top 6 in the championship is a world away from being manager at Spurs.

He was openly critical of his board. I don't think Albion need that type of character.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I still think my point on the other thread stands, even though MoH called it "bizarre". He said ablsolutely nothing wrong in that interview, in fact I'd say it was refreshingly honest. Both of you (and many others) are blinded by his accent and choice of language, it has nothing to dowith his ability as a coach or manager.

Just to be clear: it's got nothing to do with accent, i.e. whether or not he pronounces his Ts like Brian Sewell. From here, I've been reading, rather than hearing, what he's been saying recently so it's definitely not that.

Let's say there's a football club somewhere that has what might be seen as some slightly prickly people at the top: a group who get tetchy with local media and message boards when even mildly critical things get said about them. A very good, respected manager gets sacked by them basically for - among an unedited torrent of other stuff that he comes out with - saying that he fancies managing in the premiership some day and having some disagreements behind the scenes with people in charge. A clash of egos.

I just wonder how these same prickly, perhaps oversensitive set of people in charge would deal with someone who, in their last job, showed that they happily air their grievances in public, get angry on telly etc. I couldn't see that lasting very long at all. And the one thing that club needs more than anything is stability on the management side. Someone gobbing off about how awful their boss is in public is, as you say, refreshing and good value for the public but some bosses probably don't like it at all.

This is all in abstract and nothing to do with any club that we all support or anything. Obviously. Just saying.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I think someone like Sherwood would be great. After Poyet, I initially enjoyed the fact that Oscar didn’t shoot his mouth off but then it all started to get a bit, well, dull. The press conferences wrote themselves. We had loads of chances but didn’t score. We played well. Bit unlucky. Worse of all Nathan Jones comes out with his soundbite at the end of the day, top top clichés.

I’m ready for a rollercoaster manager again. I don’t think serious types such as Bloom or Burke are but I certainly am. Dull has been a familiar word around here in 2014. I doubt it would be with Sherwood in charge.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Revenue streams are a bit more tricky. View attachment 53741

I'd not seen that before, thank you. Our revenue financial performance looks pretty impressive to me when you compare us to our rivals, especially when you consider that we have one less funding stream than 7 of our rivals did (the parachute payments).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here